relax

Author Topic: Obama's press conference  (Read 5206 times)

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
Obama's press conference
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »
Did anybody else watch it tonight? Did anyone not find it incredibly boring and long winded?

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
Re: Obama's press conference
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:44:02 PM »
Yes and yes.

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:28:28 AM »
OK, good. My roommates and I were all falling asleep (more accurately, one roommate went out to get coffee, one went back to using her computer, and I sat there staring at the TV blankly and started talking to my other roommate when he went back to rehashing his talking points). He seemed to have spent over 5 minutes on average answering every question. I felt like I was watching the first two debates, except there was no time limit. And I figured the reaction to the press conference would be universally negative, so then I go to Huffington Post to see what his most ardent fans were saying. They of course thought it was great. Obama apparently has as many nutty, diehard supporters as Bush did.

It's weird because I've seen his other news conferences since the inauguration, and all seemed much more fluid than this one. Not sure what happened here. It was like he was campaigning all over again.

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 07:32:28 PM »
The difference between a George W Bush press conference and one by Barack Obama? A quantum leap in intelligence. Sorry if not everybody found it to be exciting. He's actually answering difficult questions, and he's being forthright about it.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »
Alex, it wasn't that I was looking for excitement in watching Obama's news conference. It was that he kept going back to things he'd already said a bunch of times already. He would answer the reporter's question in maybe 4-5 sentences and then go on for a few minutes about other things that may or may not have been directly related to what was asked. It struck me as indulgent and self-serving, and it got to the point where I was able to predict the ending to just about every sentence he began. I wanted him to take more questions, not prattle on endlessly and redundantly. I hope this was a case of nerves and not a case of his trying to talk for such a long time in order to avoid more questions.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 01:41:56 AM »
The difference between a George W Bush press conference and one by Barack Obama? A quantum leap in intelligence. Sorry if not everybody found it to be exciting. He's actually answering difficult questions, and he's being forthright about it.

Just as a side question, any thoughts on how long we'll have to listen to this kind of argument?  I know we're still in his first 100 days, so I'm willing to cut him some slack, but it seems like everything he does opens up some favorable comparison to President Bush.  Is there a group consensus on when he'll have to stand on his own merit, rather than Bush's?

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 08:22:47 PM »
Just as a side question, any thoughts on how long we'll have to listen to this kind of argument?  I know we're still in his first 100 days, so I'm willing to cut him some slack, but it seems like everything he does opens up some favorable comparison to President Bush.  Is there a group consensus on when he'll have to stand on his own merit, rather than Bush's?

Mister nail meet mister head

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »
Sorry, it was such a breath of fresh air after 8 years of wince enducing responses. But to be fair, almost anybody would have been a welcome change.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 08:54:54 PM »
Sorry, it was such a breath of fresh air after 8 years of wince enducing responses. But to be fair, almost anybody would have been a welcome change.

But the thread was started to talk about our current President's first prime time press conference.  To judge it on its own merit, I fail to see how anyone could view it as anything greater than disappointing. Sure, all politicians duck questions, but the filibusters that rambled on to nowhere really makes one question what the purpose of the press conference was. He emphasizes crisis and than mumbles campaign rhetoric.
Less than inspiring.

Honesty check time. Did you watch the whole hour?

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »
Alex, it wasn't that I was looking for excitement in watching Obama's news conference. It was that he kept going back to things he'd already said a bunch of times already. He would answer the reporter's question in maybe 4-5 sentences and then go on for a few minutes about other things that may or may not have been directly related to what was asked. It struck me as indulgent and self-serving, and it got to the point where I was able to predict the ending to just about every sentence he began. I wanted him to take more questions, not prattle on endlessly and redundantly. I hope this was a case of nerves and not a case of his trying to talk for such a long time in order to avoid more questions.

I think I was just to happy not to here Bush's cowboy isms and I"M A MAN swagger to even realize he was doing that....I think I do recall reading that his first three answers lasted about 7 minutes each.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 10:47:23 AM »
While I did expect more concise responses from Obama, and on some questions more direct answers, I thought that overall his answers and comments were descriptive, at times overly so. He would respond to the reporter and then go further on to a related subject. And yes I did watch the entire press conference.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 02:19:39 PM »
I think I was just to happy not to here Bush's cowboy isms and I"M A MAN swagger to even realize he was doing that....I think I do recall reading that his first three answers lasted about 7 minutes each.

I'm thrilled to be done with the cowboy tone and mispronunciation of "nuclear" and plenty of other things about Bush's presidency, but unfortunately, "The polar opposite of Bush" isn't necessarily a good thing - it's just another extreme. But I still have hope that this President will be better than the last. A lot will ride on how this stimulus package pans out. I already have a bad feeling about how the Republicans are responding to Obama and the congressional Democrats. Pelosi doesn't seem to inspire much good will among non-Democrats.. I really hate political parties.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:24:45 PM by essen »

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
I'm thrilled to be done with the cowboy tone and mispronunciation of "nuclear" and plenty of other things about Bush's presidency, but unfortunately, "The polar opposite of Bush" isn't necessarily a good thing - it's just another extreme. But I still have hope that this President will be better than the last. A lot will ride on how this stimulus package pans out. I already have a bad feeling about how the Republicans are responding to Obama and the congressional Democrats. Pelosi doesn't seem to inspire much good will among non-Democrats.. I really hate political parties.

I think it's high time that the Republicans actually do their job and vigorously oppose questionable spending.  President Obama is 100 percent correct that doing nothing is not the answer, but that doesn't mean that spending has to be as wanton and misdirected as the current package.

Is it really news that Pelosi is a strong partisan?  She has always been a divisive and controversial figure.  She's not courting the Republicans because she doesn't feel that she needs them.  Hopefully, that will change.

Prediction: The stimulus package will not pull us out of this mess.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 11:09:54 PM »

A note  of agreement, Obama is definately 'anybody.' :lol:

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life