relax

Author Topic: Black Helicopters, UFO's and the internet  (Read 1144 times)

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
Black Helicopters, UFO's and the internet
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:26:52 AM »
 The interent has certainly given more  than 15 minutes of fame  to many wacky folks. You run across  all types, sure, some  of it based on fact, but, most like Black Helicopters, FBI agents  watching everyone  are like  UFO's  cause  you really don't need 'proof' just  some official saying it may be true. It's  sad  that things  have gotten so crazy in our political  world, some of it is  no doubt pushed by people with an agenda other than truth. I didn't  vote  for President Obama, but, I don't 'hate' him, even as I am concerned of how  he may do things  that are not so good for us. But, I can't say  the same for  many who opposed President Bush, even a few  who are elected  officials. I would  hope we could disagree without criminalising differences. Otherwise,  we will descend into a 3rd world  nation where  leaders come and go  and no one ever does anything except enrich themselves.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
Re: Black Helicopters, UFO's and the internet
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 02:39:39 AM »
The interent has certainly given more  than 15 minutes of fame  to many wacky folks. You run across  all types, sure, some  of it based on fact, but, most like Black Helicopters, FBI agents  watching everyone  are like  UFO's  cause  you really don't need 'proof' just  some official saying it may be true. It's  sad  that things  have gotten so crazy in our political  world, some of it is  no doubt pushed by people with an agenda other than truth. I didn't  vote  for President Obama, but, I don't 'hate' him, even as I am concerned of how  he may do things  that are not so good for us. But, I can't say  the same for  many who opposed President Bush, even a few  who are elected  officials. I would  hope we could disagree without criminalising differences. Otherwise,  we will descend into a 3rd world  nation where  leaders come and go  and no one ever does anything except enrich themselves.

Take two James Randis and call us in the morning.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
Re: Black Helicopters, UFO's and the internet
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 09:46:43 AM »
While conspiracies (and conspiracy theories) are as old as civilization, I think it took a dangerous turn during the Clinton years. I was working in rural GA for about 9 months and some of the people I were working with were real separatist types. Cash only, lots of guns, Government is setting up intern camps for Christians and a host of other ideas. It was amazing to me how you could take seemingly unconnected facts (or near facts) and weave them into a narrative that defies common sense. And with Y2K it really took off into new areas. But than it got so much worse. The 2000 elections was the grand kick off for a new level of conspiracy theories. And then, of course 9/11. The difference now, is that the separatists are treated with disdain, while writers for The Atlantic wax eloquent on the maternity of Trig Palin.
The real problem I have with conspiratists is that by digging a hole so deep they obscure the real issues. They will warn of the dangers of a shadowy organization bent on World domination, while the Council of Foreign Relations www.cfr.org puts out position papers that will accomplish the same thing, and is lauded by the media which make up a substantial part of the organization.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life