relax

Author Topic: toy stores on Steinway  (Read 11949 times)

Offline bushynose

• Tourist
Re: toy stores on Steinway
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 09:29:29 PM »
I still have my GI Joe jeep form the Big A store where the broadway trade fair is now. there was also a 5 and 10 store aka gt lawe between crescent and 29th street where blockbuster is now had gi joes also. olympus used to  be a key food.

Offline LR

• Tourist
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 02:59:02 PM »
This site is like a refresher course in history for me.  Sokol's Toy Store was a land mark in the 50's.  Since my mother was the cashier at the Astoria Movie.  On the weekends she would take me to work with her I really enjoyed her job I saw alot of movies.  On the way home we could always stop in Sokol's.  Bought my Fanner 50 There.  Hot cowbay gun of the time.  Thanks for the moemory jolt.

Offline The Old Fox

• Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 01:59:58 AM »
I remember the hobby shop from the late 1970s which was on 30th Avenue just off 37th Street, next door to where there is currently a grocery/convenience store. I think it was open for about 2 years (1979-1980?) I bought a few models kits there myself. The other hobby shop which is still going strong today is Rudy's at 35-16 30th Avenue just off 36th Street, a nice store for most any hobby need, and yes, it used to be a soda shop from the 1950s-early 1980s. They used to also have a sweets section near the front where you can buy various penny candies, gum balls, and even rock candy. The owner Rudy is the same owner who transformed it into a hobby shop, he is very helpful and knowledgeable about most all hobby topics.
Nice article about Rudy in yesterdays amny paper.  http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/astoria-hobby-shop-stays-in-the-game-1.2518829?showAll=true   
I remember reading an article in newsday a few years back about him. Where Rudy explained his name is Marvin but since the name of the ice cream parlor was Rudys when he bought it and customers started to call him Rudy, he didn't think it was right to correct them.  Real Great Guy. Purchased many a model for my son when he was into them and a few for myself.     

Offline gargo

• Activist
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 07:02:25 AM »
Thanks for posting- Old Fox.  We love Rudy's!  You're right he is a "Real Great Guy".

Offline lp80

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »
amazon.com

Offline jojowalker

• Tourist
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 08:06:41 PM »
I worked at Valco's from 1970-72. The manager was Bill who married Stella, a beautiful greek girl from Astoria  actually I think she lived on Steinway street. The assistant manager was Anthony Boniciolli who I married in 73. Mary Klaiber, Frank Demato, Gabe, Jeff, another Mary and Clarence who was the stock manager. The Wieners owned it, I think his name was Hyman. He had two sons and they opened down the street a children's furniture shop, Frank Demato was a manger for awhile. I have found Frank Demato over the years, but have not found anyone else..If anyone knew or knows any of these people, please email me..Thanks Joanne

Offline RR Train

• Mayor
  • Tellin' it like it is.
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 03:59:57 PM »
My wife has fond memories of Cookie Kingdom that was on Steinway.

I still have my GI Joe jeep form the Big A store where the broadway trade fair is now. there was also a 5 and 10 store aka gt lawe between crescent and 29th street where blockbuster is now had gi joes also. olympus used to  be a key food.
  Talk about memories!  I loved going to the Big A and 5 & 10 stores on Broadway.

Offline astoria-for-life

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »
Hey RR train - If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't cookie kindom next to the parking lot ( ex school ) right there on steinway?

Offline RR Train

• Mayor
  • Tellin' it like it is.
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 08:43:03 AM »
Yes, to the left of the parking lot.  My wife's grandmother used to take her there as part of their weekend routine.
Good to read how many of us have fond memories of growing up in the area.

Offline JOHNNY LOCK

• Citizen
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »
Rudys is still open
and sells those old type models
and trains
he is there on wed-sat on 30th ave bet 35-36th street
ask for Marvin
also the woolworths on steinway and 31 st ave had toys
and i think TSS store had toys and or sporting goods
and the 5 and dime on broadway bet 36th-37th street
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:22:20 AM by JOHNNY LOCK »

Offline Ntrain

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »

I remember the 5 and 10 on Broadway between Crescent and 29th, but don't remember getting toys there.  I do remember how much I loved Valco...still remember the smell of that place...I got all of my He-Man action figures there and loved picking Matchbox cars from the little display cases on the front counter.

I remember when Olympus was a supermarket...didn't recall what the name of it was...I do remember that when they went out of business, they shut their doors with all the food inside and became infested with rats.  After about a year they opened up the place and all of the rats ran out and infested the neighboring stores.

Does anyone remember when Trade Fair on Broadway and Crescent was an appliance store?

Offline RR Train

• Mayor
  • Tellin' it like it is.
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 11:47:46 AM »

Does anyone remember when Trade Fair on Broadway and Crescent was an appliance store?
  Yes!  Years ago ( I was a young 'un then..)  it was Big A and there was a hair salon on the corner that Trade Fair expanded into to.  Was it Giorgios?..

Sorry to ramble off the Steinway/Toy store topic.

Offline Ntrain

• Mayor
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »
Yes, the hair salon on the corner of Broadway and Crescent was Giorgio's.  But it was a Blimpie/Carvel and then a donut shop before Trade Fair took it over.

Offline LR

• Tourist
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
In the mid 1950's I bought my Fanner 50 at Sokol's.  Saved for awhile to get that one.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life