relax

Author Topic: toy stores on Steinway  (Read 11258 times)

Offline astoria-for-life

• Citizen
toy stores on Steinway
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:01:31 AM »
here we go!!! Toys on steinway... Does any one remember "Socols" (great place for plastic models.)  next to rizzo's pizza or.. "Valco's" (two locations # 1  - 32-42 steinway now "casa de BEBE or Valco's other store "32-66 Steinway" elane Bryant  (spelled correct?)   or the third toy store "playworld' now soon to be another gym.. In these 3 fab 60's / 70's places I got my first"huffy thunder road "BMX bike, and my GI JOE adventure team man .EAGLE EYE with the KUNG FU grip ! I know I am dating myself here.... quiet... nobody else had a 12"  "adventure team"  GIJOE?  ........... god ..I guess Iam OLD. lol lol.

Offline ddanny999

• Activist
  • Residential Evil 4
Re: toy stores on Steinway
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 07:37:16 AM »
I still miss Valco.  The last purchase I made there (a few months before they closed) was a Mego Buck Rogers in the 25th Century "Draco" action figure (from 1979) that had been sitting behind a box for at least ten years.  I paid just $2.00 for it and I still have it in my collection (still on the card).

In the 70's, I remember a hobby store on 37th or 38th Street (I think) that had model kits and rocket kits; but I am not referring to the hobby shop on 36th street still in operation (they put old books on the front of the store) and from the inside looks like it was once an old soda shop (complete with a bar).

Playworld had a great collection of model kits (an entire section) of every size and scale, including Testor's brand paint, glue, sandpaper, etc.  Their Kenner Star Wars section (figures, playsets, vehicles) was nirvana.

here we go!!! Toys on steinway... Does any one remember "Socols" (great place for plastic models.)  next to rizzo's pizza or.. "Valco's" (two locations # 1  - 32-42 steinway now "casa de BEBE or Valco's other store "32-66 Steinway" elane Bryant  (spelled correct?)   or the third toy store "playworld' now soon to be another gym.. In these 3 fab 60's / 70's places I got my first"huffy thunder road "BMX bike, and my GI JOE adventure team man .EAGLE EYE with the KUNG FU grip ! I know I am dating myself here.... quiet... nobody else had a 12"  "adventure team"  GIJOE?  ........... god ..I guess Iam OLD. lol lol.

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:41:21 AM »
Well I am a 80's baby and all i know is that Steinway had alot of toy shops...even Ditmars /31st  had one where the 99cent store is

I did collect the following,

-GI Joes
-Matchbox cars
-THe Mask (old cartoon)
-Lego's
-Garbage Pail Kids
-Ghostbusters Action Figures
-Volton
-Smurfs
-Transformers
-California Raisins
-WWF Wrestlers - (the big rubber ones)

Ask me where they are now, I wish i only knew....and i dont even bother collecting toys anymore - they just not as cool as they once were made

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:47:16 AM by PJ »
Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:12:30 AM »
Wow, those names bring back some great memories.  I used to LOVE going to those stores when I was a kid.  When I was good, my Dad would take me there and allow me to buy stuff.  It's too bad those stores went out of business so long ago.

Also reminds me of the 'ol TSS store across from MPB.  I'd just hang out in the sporting goods section for the longest!!  Another store I miss. 

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »

Sokol's was owned by the Wager family. Julian Wager, founder and president of the Central Astoria Local Development Coalition (CALDC), President of the Steinway Street BID, has also provided 30 years of service to Community Board 1 and serves as the Advertising Director of the Western Queens Gazette,

Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline oliver klosoff

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 12:25:05 PM »
ahh, Playworld, i loved that moviehouse-style marquee they had outside.  as a kid you could see it from a block away.
on Ditmars, we had Kiddieland.

ABB

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 01:03:26 PM »
I remember all of them.When I was a kid we called Valco's "Cheap Charlie's".I don't know why,maybe there was a store there with that name previously and our parents just kept calling it that.

Offline hellgateviking

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
  ABB, I too, remember my parents, Aunts, Uncles and cousins all referring to Valco's as "Cheap Charlie's in the 70's.  I remember walking up Steinway Street when I was a kid, and getting very excited when we passed by, although we were usually on the other side of the street.  I also remember looking all around for any indication that it had "Cheap Charlie's" anywhere in its name.  Being brought in by my parents or my Uncle and Aunt was always like winning the lottery for me!  This pleasant memory just reminded me to ask them why they called it Cheap Charlie's.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 06:24:23 PM »

Sokol's was owned by the Wager family. Julian Wager, founder and president of the Central Astoria Local Development Coalition (CALDC), President of the Steinway Street BID, has also provided 30 years of service to Community Board 1 and serves as the Advertising Director of the Western Queens Gazette,

Julian is a great guy - one of the nicest people you will meet.  He's done a lot of good!

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »
In the 70's, I remember a hobby store on 37th or 38th Street (I think) that had model kits and rocket kits; but I am not referring to the hobby shop on 36th street still in operation (they put old books on the front of the store) and from the inside looks like it was once an old soda shop (complete with a bar).

I remember the hobby shop from the late 1970s which was on 30th Avenue just off 37th Street, next door to where there is currently a grocery/convenience store. I think it was open for about 2 years (1979-1980?) I bought a few models kits there myself. The other hobby shop which is still going strong today is Rudy's at 35-16 30th Avenue just off 36th Street, a nice store for most any hobby need, and yes, it used to be a soda shop from the 1950s-early 1980s. They used to also have a sweets section near the front where you can buy various penny candies, gum balls, and even rock candy. The owner Rudy is the same owner who transformed it into a hobby shop, he is very helpful and knowledgeable about most all hobby topics.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 12:02:42 AM »
Julian is a great guy - one of the nicest people you will meet.  He's done a lot of good!
I've known him since I was a little girl. He certainly deserves all the accolades he gets. He get's such a bum rap on his association with the Steinway Street BID. He fights with the landlords constantly. He is heartsick about he sees happening to the street.

I remember the hobby shop from the late 1970s which was on 30th Avenue just off 37th Street, next door to where there is currently a grocery/convenience store. I think it was open for about 2 years (1979-1980?) I bought a few models kits there myself. The other hobby shop which is still going strong today is Rudy's at 35-16 30th Avenue just off 36th Street, a nice store for most any hobby need, and yes, it used to be a soda shop from the 1950s-early 1980s. They used to also have a sweets section near the front where you can buy various penny candies, gum balls, and even rock candy. The owner Rudy is the same owner who transformed it into a hobby shop, he is very helpful and knowledgeable about most all hobby topics.

Rudy's! OMG RUDY'S! That was our hangout. We'd pool our money to order french fries and a soda and sit there forever. Such sweet memories. The funny thing was that when we had money, we'd go to the Kosher deli on the corner of 36th Street and 30th Avenue and get a hot dog. Ahhh, those were the days of the $0.50 hot dog with mustard and coleslaw!

It would be better if we could take that back to 1965 when, on 30th Avenue, we had 2 fabulous bakeries, Avon and Norgaard, who baked with fresh butter; or the Kosher deli which is now Frank's Bakery; or when Rudy's was a real teenage hangout with malts and hamburgers and french fries; when Klein's Dry Cleaner's had an expert tailor who could redesign a suit or a ball gown; or the egg and butter store (I think the name was Elner's) who actually churned the butter on site; or Bright's Appliances on the corner of 33rd Street who saved you a trip to the City to buy all those small appliances; or Keystone who was an institution in this neighborhood for 50+ years where you could always get a decent meal 24 hours a day; or that Chinese restaurant who used to be on the corner of 32nd Street where you could sit down and get a meal from soup to nuts (wonton to lychee) for less that $3.00; or the Halmark card store near the el who would special order anything you needed, like special thank you cards or invitations, on a timely basis—I truly miss some of the 'good old days' but I do love some of the changes that have made this Community so rich in it's diversity and it's willingness to change with the times and yet remain stable and comfortable—and the people who come and go, but especially the people who come and stay.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Ratchetrn6

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 01:05:50 PM »
Don't forget Treasure Cove, which was where Taverna Kyclades is now....   And on Steinway, which hardly anyone remembers- Cookie Kingdom- It was where the bank next to Starbucks is now. They used to have all sorts of cookies and the outside looked like a castle. We used to BEG my mom to take us there.  One of my favorite memories is of Perry's Delight, the ice cream shop that was on the corner of 31st Street and 24th Ave. I would LOVE to have a picture of that place!!! 

Offline furifuriman

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 10:34:22 AM »
The owner Rudy is the same owner who transformed it into a hobby shop, he is very helpful and knowledgeable about most all hobby topics.

:mrgreen:  He's great guy. Wish I lived here when he was still running the ice cream shop. That must be fun!

Offline oliver klosoff

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 11:29:31 AM »
wow, Cookie Kingdom, it you didnt remind me, i would have never remembered.
Treasure Cove was actually where Top Tomato now is.
they closed down and moved across the street, now a realty is where the second location was.

Offline trolleydude

• Tourist
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »
I've known him since I was a little girl. He certainly deserves all the accolades he gets. He get's such a bum rap on his association with the Steinway Street BID. He fights with the landlords constantly. He is heartsick about he sees happening to the street.

Next time you see him ask him about the fire sometime in the 50's. We lived on 41st and were heartsick to see the damage to that fine store.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life