relax

Author Topic: Hope 2oo9  (Read 6827 times)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
Re: Hope 2oo9
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 10:32:57 PM »
If we are talking about post secondary education, we are talking about adults.

Actually I meant to ask about K-12, sorry if I was unclear.

Hmm... are there any issues that you think are important enough to circumvent the process for? What do you see as being the benefit of following the process?

No, there are no issues more important than the constitution. We will survive but some will be unhappy with the results.  The benefit of following the process is that other voices will be heard.

So if people are being rounded up and forced to build soda machines against their will based on their french ethnicity, freeing them as quickly as possible would be secondary to following the process?

Having seen what people can do with the bible, I am rather leery of putting the constitution on a pedestal.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 07:14:49 AM »
Actually I meant to ask about K-12, sorry if I was unclear.

Local municipalities should handle this as their citizens see fit. Parents then have access to those making the education decision, who can't blame "those in Washington". As I stated, I am not against public education, I am against the federal government taking money from states, charging a handling fee, and then sending the remaining money back to the states.

So if people are being rounded up and forced to build soda machines against their will based on their french ethnicity, freeing them as quickly as possible would be secondary to following the process?

Then I have a question: How did the "Soda Machine Ethnical Appropriations Recovery (SMEAR) Act" get passed in the first place? It is illegal for private citizens or business to "round up" people. Only the government gets to do that. So I imagine in went like this:
Everything is status quo and the marketplace is supplying just the right amount of high fructose corn syrup enfused refreshment
A "concerned scientist" working under a federal grant, discovers that Pb concentration in imported soda machines is above the 0.02 ppb threshold that his drunken colleague says is safe.
Congressperson Waxjob (M-CA) demands action and introduces a bill that only material mined by his political "supporter" can be used in the manufacturing of soda machines.
As soda machines begin to fail Senator Grasspuffer (T-IA) gets an angry call from ADM (Supermarket to the World, ATM to Washington) because corn purchases are off from last year same quarter.
A "bipartisan" bill supported by both the Morons and Thiefs is quickly introduced. But to get bill over the 60 vote threshold in the senate, a kicker is added by the LA delegation that only ethnic French can make the new machines. Since no one could understand his Cajun accent, the bill actually stated that all ethnic French "have to" build soda machines.

Well the rest of the story writes itself.  But I see your point, the government must act quickly to undo all the damage that the government has done by acting quickly.

Having seen what people can do with the bible, I am rather leery of putting the constitution on a pedestal.

Having seen what the Bible (and Torah, and Koran) can do to people, I am rather leery of putting people on a pedestal.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »
Back to the 'Obama' cult like following that Billz was referring to:

The first black President
The first female President
The first openly gay President

Any of the above would be so different to the previous 43 that naturally there would be all sort of memorabilia out there.  I have nothing against all the coins, plates, mugs etc. because this is free enterprise after all, and can stimulate some sales, which is what capitalism is about, isn't it?

I think that the euphoria is very understandable.  We have a young, energetic, intelligent, question asking, thinking, curious, multi-racial, well traveled, gracious, willing to hear the other side black man for President after eight years of George Bush.  For African Americans, this is a dream come true that they never thought would in their lifetimes.  For those of us who were not fans of Bush, it feels like we are coming out of a dark tunnel and seeing some light.  Will he dissapoint?  Naturally.  Will we always feel this euphoria?  I doubt it.  But truly, I will never, ever forget the night he won, or Inauguration Day.  The election of Barack Obama was truly a once-in-a-lifetime event for me.  In other words, in spite of what he does going forward, the election itself was a very unique experience for me.  Who would have thought eight years ago that this man would be President today?  Does anyone else feel this way?

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 07:01:09 AM »
A lot of people feel the way you do Debbie. While after 8 years of Bush anybody would be a welcome change, the difference of the caliber of the 2 men are strikingly disproportionate. Obama has given so many people some hope that there is a voice of reason in the White House again, even with the seemingly unsurmontable problems he is facing. Hope isn't just a campaign slogan, it's making the changes that can make a difference for a better tomorrow.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 09:41:25 AM »
...Hope isn't just a campaign slogan, it's making the changes that can make a difference for a better tomorrow.

Wait, so now hope IS change?  I thought it was all about hope AND change?  Or were we supposed to hope FOR change?  If hope and change are interCHANGEable, and hope itself leads to the making of changes that make can a difference for a better tomorrow, then what am I supposed to hope for today?  Regardless, I am glad it's not just a slogan.  ;-)

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 11:47:23 AM »
Go see how President Obama is doing,

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/?%3F=

Keeping hope alive.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/229956

Conscience of a Conservative

"The current administration has been decidedly halfway on this issue," he says, "and I think the specter of having George Bush's lawyer out in front of a Democratic president is something that, shall we say, might stimulate people to rethink their positions."

Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »
It is the job he wanted. It is the job many gave him.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/06/03/4456453-first-thoughts-day-500-

Day 500

It could almost read like Billy Joel’s “We Didn’t Start the Fire”…

Oil spill, Health care, Tea Parties, Financial reform, bailouts for cars and banks, the stimulus, Cash for Clunkers, Toyota, Haiti, L’Aquila, Iran's elections, David Cameron, Gordon Brown, Israel flotilla, North Korea sinks South Korean ship, Afghanistan troop increase, underwear bomber, Ft. Hood, Times Square, Predator drones, Nobel Peace Prize, State of the Union/Bobby Jindal, Ted Kennedy. Scott Brown, Michael Steele, Sarah Palin resigns, Bob McDonnell, Chris Christie, special elections, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, incumbent fever (Bennett, Specter, et al), Charlie Crist's party switch, Evan Bayh, Sex Scandals: The Appalachian Trail, John Ensign, Eric Massa, Mark Souder, Jim Traficant out of jail, announces independent bid, The Salahis, Carrie Prejean, It’s John Edwards’ baby, Rangel loses his gavel, The Replacements: (Blago/Burris, Gillibrand/Caroline Kennedy, Beau Biden/Iraq/hospitalization, Al Franken sworn in as a senator MONTHS after Election Day, The Gores separate.

And, by the way, for a little more context, remember this: JFK, at Day 500, had not yet faced the Cuban Missile Crisis and his attorney general, RFK, had yet to order the integration of Ole Miss. or the University of Alabama.

Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life