relax

Author Topic: Obama's Cabinet  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
Obama's Cabinet
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:31:43 AM »
Although I am part of the vast right wing conspiracy, I do have to say that I am not disappointed with Obama's picks thus far.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16734.html

I think he has done a fine job in ensuring expertise where it counts. I am particularly happy with his choices on national defense. Obviously, there are some who I would rather not see in their selected positions, but why be greedy?
But how about the 90% of people who disagree with me on just about everything? How are you feeling about the transition?   

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
Re: Obama's Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:56:48 AM »
I don't know if I disagree with you on quite as many things as some other people do, but I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. It seems he's putting a lot of thought into his choices, making sure he gets people who know what they're doing and those who will be effective and thoughtful. I'm a bit confused by the people who are put off by his choices because they thought he'd put together a staunchly liberal cabinet of Obama cronies, thinking that his current choices aren't indicative of "change." But, to me, for him to have done essentially what Bush did - except with liberals instead of conservatives - would've been much worse for the country.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:03:04 PM by essen »

Offline plank

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »

this is not surprising.

a man with intelligence and instinct is replacing a chickenhawk sociopath who is leaving the country in smoldering ruins.

I will never fully understand how people were dumb enough to vote for such a f*cking idiot more then once.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 07:23:55 PM »
I will never fully understand how people were dumb enough to vote for such a f*cking idiot more then once.

Better the devil you know...

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 02:22:17 AM »
this is not surprising.

a man with intelligence and instinct is replacing a chickenhawk sociopath who is leaving the country in smoldering ruins.

Now, now, Clinton wasn't that bad.  :lol:  Also, you can't blame Biden for getting FIVE differments  from Vietnam, after all, by the time Bush was in the Guard, doing more service in the military than VP Biden or former President Clinton combined, the war just wasn't that popular anymore and winding down. BTW, This city  was in smoldering ruins on 9/11, and instead  of praising those who have done  everything they can to keep it from happening again, the fickle populace  wants the Govt to pay for their mortgages and their credit card debt, for shame. It's too bad Cheney couldn't run, I'd have loved to see  him as  President. President Cheney, doesn't that send chills up the leg, like Chris  Matthews  gets  when he see's  Obama?  :lol:

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 02:26:26 AM »
I think President-elect Obama finally found out what the reality is  on the world  stage. He kept GATES  which was a positive  sign, and is not pulling troops  out or 'immediately' closing GITMO. I think Bush, will be seen much more kindly  in the future, in that the steps  he took, were not how they are depicted today.

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 12:00:14 PM »
I think President-elect Obama finally found out what the reality is  on the world  stage. He kept GATES  which was a positive  sign, and is not pulling troops  out or 'immediately' closing GITMO. I think Bush, will be seen much more kindly  in the future, in that the steps  he took, were not how they are depicted today.

FZ, print out your post, put it under you pillow, and dream real hard about making the legacy of the Bush Presidency a non-disaster. That's the only way it's going to happen.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 09:30:12 AM »
Although I am part of the vast right wing conspiracy, I do have to say that I am not disappointed with Obama's picks thus far.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16734.html

I think he has done a fine job in ensuring expertise where it counts. I am particularly happy with his choices on national defense. Obviously, there are some who I would rather not see in their selected positions, but why be greedy?
But how about the 90% of people who disagree with me on just about everything? How are you feeling about the transition?   

Only 90 percent?   :-D  As someone in your ideological camp, I can't complain about most of his picks either.  Obviously, he's not going to bring anyone on board who we'll love, but he has brought in some very smart people who are more moderate than I had feared.

this is not surprising.

You mean after the flawless campaign that the affable and relatable John Kerry ran?

FZ, print out your post, put it under you pillow, and dream real hard about making the legacy of the Bush Presidency a non-disaster. That's the only way it's going to happen.

I agree that what FZ posits is unlikely, but all things in historical perspective.  We don't know how people 50 or 100 years from now will see things.  Or what will happen between now and then.  I have my fingers crossed for flying cars.

Offline snowball119

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 01:05:41 PM »
I agree that what FZ posits is unlikely, but all things in historical perspective.  We don't know how people 50 or 100 years from now will see things.  Or what will happen between now and then.  I have my fingers crossed for flying cars.

It's been 35 years since Nixon was our president and most people still think he's a douche.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 01:57:06 PM »
It's been 35 years since Nixon was our president and most people still think he's a douche.

But students of history take the red hot emotion out of the equation and concede that his impact extended beyond being a douche.  Opening China and all that.

I'm not saying that people will like George Bush in the future, I'm saying that it will be interesting to see how history views him once we're at a comfortable distance for review.  We're just too close to the situation to be objective, and obviously things haven't fully played out yet.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »
Just FYI, here's an op-ed on the Bush legacy: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=acJBjLS7oKAc

The writer's take is that he may not be judged as harshly as we think.

Offline edhopper

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »
Just FYI, here's an op-ed on the Bush legacy: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=acJBjLS7oKAc

The writer's take is that he may not be judged as harshly as we think.

Kevin Hassett? Really? This Kevin Hassett?
"(Kevin Hassett, director of economic-policy studies at the American Enterprise Institute, is a Bloomberg News columnist. He was an adviser to Republican Senator John McCain of Arizona in the 2008 presidential election. )"

The Kevin Hassett who said this in June?
"But another possibility lurks behind the numbers. The Federal Reserve and Congress have delivered a ton of economic stimulus, and that stimulus is set to juice up an economy that has been weak, but not terrible. If everything goes according to plan, the economy will grow faster in the second half of the year, and a recession will have been avoided. "

Kevin Hassett the author of "Dow 36,000"?

Yeah, that's the guy whose opinion we should listen to.

Bush, absolutely, unquestionably, The Worse President Ever!

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
Re: Obama
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »

For a bit of theater, and history, HBO has unscrambled weekend coverage of the inaugration festivities.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »
Wow! Did you see that? Challenger the Bald Eagle. Beautiful! I want a pet bald eagle! I would name it "Gipper"

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 02:01:35 AM »
Now, now, Clinton wasn't that bad.  :lol:  Also, you can't blame Biden for getting FIVE differments  from Vietnam, after all, by the time Bush was in the Guard, doing more service in the military than VP Biden or former President Clinton combined, the war just wasn't that popular anymore and winding down. BTW, This city  was in smoldering ruins on 9/11, and instead  of praising those who have done  everything they can to keep it from happening again, the fickle populace  wants the Govt to pay for their mortgages and their credit card debt, for shame. It's too bad Cheney couldn't run, I'd have loved to see  him as  President. President Cheney, doesn't that send chills up the leg, like Chris  Matthews  gets  when he see's  Obama?  :lol:

Oh please....who gives an F about Vietnam.

We just spent how many trillion on a war that was based on lies.

And really....you are going to bring up Chris to prove WHAT POINT......that you're a fool?????????????

I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life