relax

Author Topic: Nope, No, Communists In Hollywood...  (Read 5745 times)

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
Nope, No, Communists In Hollywood...
« on: December 07, 2008, 01:13:05 AM »
They're  in Havana  and  working at the AP.  It's bad enough that  a film is screened  in a Communist  Dictatorship honoring a Communist  murderer, but, to describe  protests  against Che'  as  people being upset  cause  Che 'executed'  officials  from the previous  dictator ,Batista,  is downright criminal propaganda. But, I better  stop here, lest  the name of that dead Senator  of Wisconsin from the early 50's  makes  an appearance. :wink:

Del Toro attends screening of 'Che' in Havana

HAVANA (AP) - Actor Benicio del Toro says protesters at the Miami screening of ``Che'' should have watched the film first.

Del Toro plays Argentine-born Ernesto ``Che'' Guevara, a hero of the Cuban revolution and global icon. He says the role was difficult and took a lot of time.

Cuban exiles protested the movie in Miami last week. Many opposed Guevara for executions of officials from Fulgencio Batista's government, which was toppled in 1959.

But del Toro says ``a lot of the people protesting the movie hadn't seen it.''

He spoke Saturday as about 1,500 people attended the screening of the movie by director Steven Soderbergh at a film festival in Havana.

The Puerto Rican actor won the Cannes Film Festival's best-actor prize for his performance.

Offline neo11

• Mayor
Re: Nope, No, Communists In Hollywood...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 01:18:01 AM »
I don't see why this is any different than a movie about any other controversial figure in history from any political background.  Or how accepting a role in such a movie automatically classifies someone as "communist."  Indeed that does sound like something a certain dead senator would say.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 01:59:40 AM »
I don't see why this is any different than a movie about any other controversial figure in history from any political background.  Or how accepting a role in such a movie automatically classifies someone as "communist."  Indeed that does sound like something a certain dead senator would say.

This is  not some  controversial  hero from the past. This  is a movie about glamorizing, as if he needed  anymore, a Communist  thug, playing in what is still a  Communist Dictatorship. The  fact that  Del Toro shows this  in Havana, where   the Communist 'elite',  get  prime seating is disgusting, even more, is  a  so-called  article  that paints  opposition  as those protesting as being supporters of  the previous  dictator  is something Stalin would say. It seems  the dead Senator is being proven right about the Left, sad to say.

Offline neo11

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 02:23:34 AM »
This is  not some  controversial  hero from the past. This  is a movie about glamorizing, as if he needed  anymore, a Communist  thug, playing in what is still a  Communist Dictatorship. The  fact that  Del Toro shows this  in Havana, where   the Communist 'elite',  get  prime seating is disgusting, even more, is  a  so-called  article  that paints  opposition  as those protesting as being supporters of  the previous  dictator  is something Stalin would say. It seems  the dead Senator is being proven right about the Left, sad to say.

I don't see where in that article those protesters are being equated with supporters of the previous dictator.  And yes, Che is a controversial figure, your comments are saying that themselves.  The movie seems to be played in more than just Cuba too, so unless all the other governments of all the other countries which are screening the movie are communist dictatorships, your argument makes no sense.  Besides, I thought this was the country of freedom of expression.  That freedom includes views that may not be popular.  You don't have to like it, but it's part of the package in a free society.  And in case you haven't noticed, Hollywood produces movies glamorizing violent (and controversial) figures from the past all the time.

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 08:25:47 AM »
Oh no, not 'commies' again!

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 12:15:44 PM »
She's a witch! Burn her!!!  :-o :-o

Offline plank

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 02:18:21 PM »
did you even see the movie?

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 11:27:34 PM »
did you even see the movie?

I'm guessing no, but that he "has a friend" that did.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 09:35:48 AM »
I'm guessing no, but that he "has a friend" that did.

No, he read about a muslim communo-fascist schlockumentary leftist blogger from the NY Times, duuuh!

Offline plank

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 11:57:10 AM »

is FZism the new McCarthyism?

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 08:25:44 PM »
Exhuming McCartney.   :-o

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 02:11:19 PM »
He is an interview with Che director Steven Soderbergh:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16503.html

I thought I'd bring it up because it's relevant to this thread.  My favorite part:
"We’re certainly seeing the result of what happens when you make profit the point of everything, where money that’s being earned doesn’t represent any particular product or labor on anybody's part. That can't sustain, because it’s magical thinking. It can’t go on indefinitely, because eventually it crashes. Che’s dream of a classless society, a society that isn't built on the profit motive, is still relevant. The arguments still going on are about his methodology."

Right.  So in review, capitalism as we understand it is magical thinking.  And a classless society is a perfectly good idea, marred only by certain "methodologies."

What a maroon.  As I understand it, Hitler's Germany was a nice place to live, too, by what I imagine to be Soderbergh's standards.  Gun control, ample soup kitchens for the poor, patronage of the arts.  If only their methodology hadn't been so debatable.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 03:17:19 PM »
He is an interview with Che director Steven Soderbergh:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16503.html

I thought I'd bring it up because it's relevant to this thread.  My favorite part:
"We’re certainly seeing the result of what happens when you make profit the point of everything, where money that’s being earned doesn’t represent any particular product or labor on anybody's part. That can't sustain, because it’s magical thinking. It can’t go on indefinitely, because eventually it crashes. Che’s dream of a classless society, a society that isn't built on the profit motive, is still relevant. The arguments still going on are about his methodology."

Right.  So in review, capitalism as we understand it is magical thinking.  And a classless society is a perfectly good idea, marred only by certain "methodologies."

What a maroon.  As I understand it, Hitler's Germany was a nice place to live, too, by what I imagine to be Soderbergh's standards.  Gun control, ample soup kitchens for the poor, patronage of the arts.  If only their methodology hadn't been so debatable.

Nick Gillespie for Reason makes similar points:
http://reason.com/blog/show/130540.html

I have respect for almost all political and economic philosophies that differ from my own, but this kind of stuff is baffling.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 05:08:12 PM »
Nick Gillespie for Reason makes similar points:
http://reason.com/blog/show/130540.html

I have respect for almost all political and economic philosophies that differ from my own, but this kind of stuff is baffling.

It seems that Soderbergh's admiration for Che is based on a very superficial analysis of politics.  How can anyone in their right mind separate Che from his methods?  Are people supposed to willingly push aside self interest in order to fulfill Che's and Soderbergh's shared dream of a "classless society"?  I'd imagine that separating people from their free choice and their belongings would take quite a bit of nudging, along the lines of Che's brand of persuasion.

Communism has failed enough times and caused enough death that it has no place for legtimate political debate outside of an overly idealistic junior high school classroom.

Offline hillary10

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 10:46:05 AM »
Lately, capitalism does seem like magical thinking.

Che looks like a fun movie. And it would have been terrific to see it in Havana. I'm not sure what all the outrage is about over this. But I look forward to the film (also an old friend worked on it, so I'm thrilled to see her influence).

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life