relax

Author Topic: US Senate Seat Vacancy  (Read 3869 times)

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
US Senate Seat Vacancy
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:54:46 AM »
With Hillary Clinton vacating the seat next year when she becomes Secretary of State, Governor David Paterson will be making an appointment to fill the vacancy, who will have to run in 2010 and 2012 (one to hold the rest of the term and then for a full six year term).  Are people following the possible candidates?  Who do folks want to see appointed?  Who do you think will be appointed?

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
? Re: US Senate Seat Vacancy
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:36:15 PM »
Oh McD, please share any updates when you get the inside scoop. Do they have to nominate a Dem?
I was wondering the same thing, that if there were a primary battle in 2010 who/m you would prefer?

Some reports speculate that it would be Maloney or Cuomo. If not them, it would be a bit of a surprise.
Either seems fine, but then we might need a good replacement for AG.
I would rather see a good AG than 1 of a 100 Senators.

Gillibrand does not seem very experienced. And I wonder what kind of agenda she would stick to.

Hillary is still Senator for many weeks, yes?

I could share my dream wish, which you might guess. But political dreams almost never come true.

OT - would you know of any Obama events coming up in Dec?
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
Re: US Senate Seat Vacancy
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 02:51:32 PM »
Maloney is wonderful, but I doubt they pick a NYC person.  If they do, she and Nydia Velazquez are great choices, though I'd prefer Carolyn.

I suspect if it is someone from the city it's Andrew Cuomo, but I haven't heard if he wants it. 

I think the Governor taps someone from upstate, and probably a woman, so that would make Representative Kirsten Gillibrand a strong contender (I hear Schumer may be pushing her).  I personally would like to see Leecia Eve, she was running for Lt. Governor before Spitzer tapped Paterson, and worked for Hillary.  She's from upstate too - Buffalo!

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 05:27:57 PM »
I'm gonna put my quarter on Thomas R. Suozzi, Nassau County Executive.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
odd? Re: US Senate Seat Vacancy
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 05:59:17 PM »

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/12/ny_senate_another_kennedy_in_t.html

another set of odds on the race
whoa, Maloney as 45-1 ??

didnt realize the candidate would run in 2010 and 2012

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 02:55:10 PM »
Maloney would be a good choice and could raise the money for the two races, but I still think a NYC rep is less likely to be chosen - if she was from upstate or LI she'd have a better chance, but the UES is her fundraising base.

I'm sad that Leecia Eve isn't even given any odds on that list!

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 01:10:49 AM »
Yes, it will difficult to find someone  who waves, smiles  and  is said to be 'effective', yet, no one can point to much they have actually done?  :-P  Still, They should appoint a Republican, you know, in the spirit of  incoming President Obama's  'reaching across the aisle.' :-)

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 05:29:38 PM »

just for silliness -

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1208/Paterson_at_the_Gridiron.html

And for the donor of $500K, you have just won ...

a Senator seat   :-o

Offline neo11

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 03:38:24 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/15/kennedy.senate/index.html

Nothing like getting a Senate seat without being elected, without any political experience, with nothing but your family name to carry you.

When will this madness end?

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/15/kennedy.senate/index.html

Nothing like getting a Senate seat without being elected, without any political experience, with nothing but your family name to carry you.

When will this madness end?
On a positive note: At least we're better than Illinois.

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 10:53:31 AM »
Look on the bright side: if she becomes Senator we can re-name the Hellgate Bridge after her in 40 years.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »
I wish there could at least be a special election.  I'm sure that whoever won would not be my choice, but at least the people would have a say, rather than someone becoming senator by acclamation.

Offline odenhal

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »
Odenhal will wrestle all candidates for the open senate seat for the great state of N.Y. :wink:
you can not deny this gorgeosness, you can only hope to handle it

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
I'd like to see it go to someone who's put their time and worked for NY State or for their area as a local
representative and paid their dues. Why should Caroline Kennedy go to the head of the line simply by
virtue of her last name? I want someone - preferably a Democrat, but I'd take a moderate Republican too - who
knows this state, its people and its issues intimately and would really represent us. Does CK even live here
full time?

I know Hillary wasn't a native, but she worked hard, learned her stuff and did well. I'm not saying CK can't,
but I just think there's a lot of talent in this state and that it should be considered.

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 12:37:32 PM »
Oh, but the Family and particularly Uncle Teddy "wants to ensure that the decades-long tradition of having a Kennedy in the Senate continues." -Daily News

OMG don't tell me we're going to start singing "Sweet Caroline" at Yankee Stadium!

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 04:25:08 PM »
Oh, but the Family and particularly Uncle Teddy "wants to ensure that the decades-long tradition of having a Kennedy in the Senate continues." -Daily News

OMG don't tell me we're going to start singing "Sweet Caroline" at Yankee Stadium!

And I thought we didn't have monarchy here in the states.  :-(

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 12:34:23 PM »
Seems like the Political Machine of yesteryear has been dusted off, greased and taken on a test run.

Michael Goodwin:
His (Paterson's) challenge is to make sure his choice is both in the best interests of New York and widely viewed as such. The way to do that is to follow an open process that would set an example for other states. Instead of using a secretive, back-room deal that smacks of old-time corruption, Paterson should throw open the doors to let the public participate.
Although not an election, a public process could involve forums and even debates among candidates. That way, Paterson would have a better idea of their comparative strengths and New Yorkers would be able to voice informed opinions. And it wouldn't cost the state a penny because civic and educational groups would scramble to hold these unofficial candidate events.
If Paterson needs inspiration for what not to do, he can look to Illinois and Delaware, where Senate seats held by Barack Obama and Joe Biden are being filled by insider dealing.
Biden, who simultaneously was reelected to the Senate while winning the vice presidency, helped engineer an unseemly deal in Delaware. He wanted his son Beau, state attorney general, to get the seat Papa Biden has held since 1973, but Beau Biden admirably turned down an appointment, saying he wanted to complete his Iraq tour with the Army National Guard.
So Democratic Gov. Ruth Ann Minner did the next best slippery thing, appointing Papa Biden's longtime chief of staff and personal friend, Edward Kaufman, who promptly announced he would serve two years in the Senate, then retire. The expectation is that Beau Biden will run in the election to fill the seat in 2010.
It seems the Kennedys aren't alone in viewing a Senate seat as a family heirloom.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/columnists/goodwin/index.html

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 07:34:25 PM »
IMHO Gov. Paterson has a lot to consider. He probably needs to appoint someone who has the potential to be a candidate for Governor the next time around, thereby getting them out of the race. Cuomo certainly is one of them. Kennedy will need a mentor and I don't know if Schumer has the time, or the inclination, to do that. I'm not sure Kennedy's state-wide visits are going to help her or just make her sound like one of the political hacks this state has been dealing with for decades!
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 06:36:17 PM »
While the process is somewhat painful, it warms my heart that one politician is angry at another for cashing in on the family name better than he has:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/20/nyregion/20cuomo.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=print?xid=rss-page

If we wanted the Senate to be another house of lords, why the hell was the Revolution fought?
Cuomo Jr never had to pay for his tragic turn as HUD Secretary. If any of us common folk has performed so horrifically at our jobs, we would be thankful to get a position at a fast food restaurant.
Stop the madness

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »
Whoever it is they better not like being in front of the camera because Chuck Schumer won't share it.  The most dangerous place in NY is between Schumer and the camera.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 05:56:07 PM »
and it looks like Schumer got his choice.  Should be interesting!

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
fast and furious Re: US Senate Seat Vacancy
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 11:44:53 AM »
[Box scores can not come soon enough]

This would make for wonderful debates if it comes to be. Now is just for fundraising, right?

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/rep.-maloney-weighing-primary-challenge-to-gillibrand-2009-02-05.html

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life