relax

Author Topic: Outrageous Gail Collins Column in NY Times  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
Outrageous Gail Collins Column in NY Times
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:43:14 AM »
I know that everyone here is psyched about the coming Obama administration.  But I would like to see what you guys think about what Gail Collins proposes in her latest column: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/22/opinion/22collins.html

My assumption is that although most of you can't wait for Obama to take the reigns, you will have the same problems with her idea as I do.  Perhaps she has never heard of an inconvenient little thing called the Constitution?  I think maybe Gail Collins wrote this piece in the company of Tom Collins.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
Re: Outrageous Gail Collins Column in NY Times
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 09:54:08 AM »
Symptomatic of the "I want it and I want it NOW" culture that our nation is sliding into. (into which our nation is sliding?)

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 09:57:23 AM »
I read it, and I didn't take it seriously at all.  I found humor in it, and don't know why anyone would take it seriously.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Obama has made it very clear we still have a president.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:00:07 AM »
Symptomatic of the "I want it and I want it NOW" culture that our nation is sliding into. (into which our nation is sliding?)

Yep.  Instant gratification.  Her writing also stems from the somewhat naive hope that someone else being in charge will instantly fix our troubled economy.  No matter who is in the big chair, the economy is complicated.  No one has a magic bullet.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:03:10 AM »
I read it, and I didn't take it seriously at all.  I found humor in it, and don't know why anyone would take it seriously.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Obama has made it very clear we still have a president.

I'm not taking her seriously, as she is a columnist, not someone of actual importance.  I'm just pointing out how objectively stupid she is.

It's also disturbing how many people do take her seriously.  Check out the over 450 comments posted to her piece.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:13:13 AM »
I don't know why people would read the column, literally.  For whatever you might think of her, Gail Collins is in the Opinion section of the NY Times and that piece, as well as the link below is more of an attempt at humor then a serious debate. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/08/opinion/08collins.html

I have no doubt that the Times writers and editor lean to the Left, but I didn't hear anyone on the Right complain about their objectivity with the Judith Miller debacle http://articles.latimes.com/2005/oct/18/nation/na-nyt18.  You might recall that all of those so-called liberal newspapers, e.g. Post, were involved and journalists even went to jail. 

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 10:18:21 AM »
Obama has made it very clear Bush is still our president.  He's also made it very clear that he knows there is no easy fix and it will be long and hard.  And that he will make mistakes.  He's said so a number of times publicly.  The challenges he faces are enormous and I am happy he's honest, and hard at work assembling a cabinet and plan of action so that he can hit the ground running.  

As for Gail, I don't know who she is, and yeah, her column was very stupid.  I did look at some of the comments and not all take her seriously.   I think we're pretty much in agreement.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 10:20:09 AM »
I don't know why people would read the column, literally.  For whatever you might think of her, Gail Collins is in the Opinion section of the NY Times and that piece, as well as the link below is more of an attempt at humor then a serious debate. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/08/opinion/08collins.html

I have no doubt that the Times writers and editor lean to the Left, but I didn't hear anyone on the Right complain about their objectivity with the Judith Miller debacle http://articles.latimes.com/2005/oct/18/nation/na-nyt18.  You might recall that all of those so-called liberal newspapers, e.g. Post, were involved and journalists even went to jail. 

Haha, did you mean "I don't know why anyone would read her column literally"?  Or "I literally have no idea why someone would read her column?"

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »
Haha, did you mean "I don't know why anyone would read her column literally"?  Or "I literally have no idea why someone would read her column?"

Good one  :-D  I should really read what I post!

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 10:39:48 AM »
Good one  :-D  I should really read what I post!

Haha, I figured you probably meant the first version  :-).  Anyhow, I do get the difference between the opinion section and the news side.  I just wanted to spark discussion.  It is interesting (and sad) that so many people apparently did read her literally.  At least based on the comments.  Of course, the internets are dumb.

It will be interesting in the coming months to see how hope, change, and the "yes we can" spirit translate as policy initiatives.  I must say, I am heartened somewhat by Obama's staff picks, as concerns the economy.  Bringing Larry Summers back in is about the best thing we could possibly hope for, and the other names that have been released are solid, mainstream choices.  I don't even mind the idea of Senator Clinton in the State Department role.  So far it looks like he is going to govern from the center-left, rather than from the left.  I hear some of the lefty bloggers are taking the attitude that this isn't the change they had hoped for, but they can take a hike.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 10:56:31 AM »
I'm not a fan of Collins's opinion pieces but she's not the only person wishing for a hastened end to the Bush era. Tom Friedman essentially made the same point in his last op-ed column:

www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/opinion/23friedman.html?em

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 11:01:56 AM »
...but she's not the only person wishing for a hastened end to the Bush era.

Understatement of the year.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 11:14:32 AM »
I never really enjoy Gail Collins these days, I used to really enjoy her work, but the past few years it's left me lacking.

Tom Friedman, Bob Herbert and Frank Rich, however, they're columnists and brilliant, at least in my opinion.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 07:13:39 PM »
I'm not taking her seriously, as she is a columnist, not someone of actual importance.  I'm just pointing out how objectively stupid she is.

It's also disturbing how many people do take her seriously.  Check out the over 450 comments posted to her piece.

There were also 60+ pages of message board threads last week while people watched a kid commit suicide live online and didn't do anything about it.

Don't let Internet Tough Guys or Internet Independents think that people *actually* feel that way.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »
I know that everyone here is psyched about the coming Obama administration.  But I would like to see what you guys think about what Gail Collins proposes in her latest column: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/22/opinion/22collins.html

My assumption is that although most of you can't wait for Obama to take the reigns, you will have the same problems with her idea as I do.  Perhaps she has never heard of an inconvenient little thing called the Constitution?  I think maybe Gail Collins wrote this piece in the company of Tom Collins.

I don't think it's outrageous for the New York Times, it's business  as usual.  :wink:  Of course these were the same  people  crying rivers  of tears for the Gitmo and Abu Ghraib terrorists, and for 8 years  denying Bush won in 2000, so why be surprised they want Bush out early, it wasn't 'their' President?  I didn't vote  for Obama, and will never, ever, vote for any democrat  as long as I live, and I'm not too sure of  the republicans, but,  he is  MY President, I hope he succeeds and I hope he  can get the bad guys  and  the economy gets  better  and I'm wrong about him. HappyThanksgiving. :-)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life