relax

Author Topic: Proposition 8 in California  (Read 9702 times)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
Re: Proposition 8 in California
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2008, 10:30:50 AM »
people voted based on lies.

let's talk more about christian values!

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2008, 10:40:48 AM »
people voted based on lies.

let's talk more about christian values!
First, and foremost, I never mentioned Christian values. Second, where is there empirical evidence that people voted based on lies. Obviously, I wasn't in California, so i have no way of knowing what the opponents were putting out there. But more importantly, how do you know that is why people voted the way they did? That logic doesn't flow: "People Lied" + "People Voted Yes on Prop 8" does not equal "People Voted Yes on Prop 8 because of lies."

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2008, 11:20:38 AM »
The problem is in the UK, civil partnerships are identical to marriage and are nationwide, this is not proposed in the US and is not likely to happen.

Exactly right Dirk.

Elton and David are very confused and taking their UK rights for granted.

Prop 8 wasn’t about making civil union/civil marriage between same sex couples legal, it was about making them illegal, the labels didn’t matter.

The UK Civil Partnership Act 2004 essentially equates civil unions with civil marriage. Brits don’t have to quibble about what to call it because by law and more importantly, in practice, same-sex couples joined in civil unions have the same rights and privileges as opposite-sex couples joined in marriage and are treated the same.

For the most part there were little dissent and no end-runs to get around the law – civil unions are accepted -- that’s why there’s no dispute in the UK on what to call them.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life