relax

Author Topic: Native astorians, here ye!  (Read 3066 times)

lindaroo

Native astorians, here ye!
« on: November 16, 2004, 12:13:01 AM »
hi, there.  

i'm doing a school project involving a community assessment of astoria.  And I was wondering if any of you know of any issues/problem/concerns/needs of the community in Astoria.  it can be as specific or broad as you like (from lacking resources to stopping graffiti, it can be anything).  as well as any recommendations for improvements in any areas.

if any of you astorians can help me out, i'd be oh so grateful.  

thanks a bunch!

-linda

RoughCut

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 01:31:02 PM »
How about implementing some form of a noise pollution initiative together with NYPD. I am refering to things like loud music, car alarms and motorcylces revving it up on Ditmars.
Those who live on Ditmars probably know what I am talking about.

adios

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 03:36:21 PM »
oh man. I would LOVE to be part of a noise pollution study. I used to live on Steinway and now live in Ditmars. Ditmars isn't quite as bad, but it's close.

Here's what I'd add to the list.

1. Trucks that drive in the city with their jake brake on.
2. The little kids that race their scooters up and down the street.

And of course the Harley riders, car alarms, etc already mentioned.

lindaroo

thanks but...
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 04:50:59 PM »
thanks for your input.  that could be something to focus on.  what about graffiti though?  do you feel that graffiti is an issue in astoria?

Annwyn

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 11:31:01 AM »
i would say that the area around astoria blvd and 31st street is horrible.  specifically, driving east down astoria blvd approaching 31st street -- NONE of the cars coming off the Grand Central honor the stop sign.  They blow past it, jeopardizing
safety of those on the service road.

If a police vehicle would just sit there he or she would be giving tickets all day.

Also if you need any historical account about the neighborhood, my 92 year old grandma has lived in astoria for just about 70 years and would not mind answering some questions. She is really adorable!!  
 :)
She reside on 35th and Ditmars.

+++++++
Annwyn
www.harmonizeddesigns.com

Offline Rapture

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 06:47:44 PM »
The kids on the scooters are awful - sometimes they wake me up in the middle of the night.  WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS?

But even closer to home, I'd have a great noise study just of my upstairs neighbors.  I've talked to my landlord repeatedly, and he's allegedly spoken to them repeatedly, but they are, simply put, animals.

I might start looking for another place (still in Astoria!).

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
not a native astorian...
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 07:05:12 PM »
hello all,

i'm not a native astorian, but i'd love to be updated on what exactly you do your research on.

and b/c i'm sensitive to social justice issues.... i'm curious about the homeless situation in the neighborhood. our friends at the 31st street/ditmars havent been selling books lately.... any shelters or services around here?

thanks.
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

oftroy

a bigger concern than noise
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 07:26:01 AM »
Although the noise pollution is bad, what about the recent explosion of cell phone towers being put up all around astoria, multiple tests have shown that they do emit radiation that has had serious health effects on those exposed regularly(significantly higher rates of cancer, infertility in women, ect.) and low and behold, where have 4 (or 6?) just been placed?
Directly in front of the SCHOOL on 23rs street and Ditmars! A SCHOOL!!!! :shock:
They have also been spotted on various points along 21st street.
Now in many parts of Long Island these things are not aloud in residential areas because they are not AESTHETICALLY pleasing :x , along with the health concerns, so they put them on lamp posts along the highway, why cannot a resolution such as this be found for Astoria, in which EVERY part is residential!
And if anything- not on a friggen SCHOOL!  :cry:

KBLZproductions

Garbage Cans
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 09:21:56 AM »
How about getting street corner Garbage cans.

Offline windowsrefund

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 02:40:47 PM »
Although this is not an Astoria-specific issue, I'll add to the thread regarding noise polution by saying that we need to put a stop to the nextel-drones that infest my eardrums with their idiotic beeping.

Do we need to hear your conversations? No.

Are you playing right into Nextel's marketing scheme by allowing yourselves to be morphed into walking billboards? Yes.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 03:27:12 PM »
I hate those phones too.

Also what about those teenagers and curfew? Do they even have one? When I wake up in the middle of the night it usually is attributed to prankster teens or just their complete immaturity. I think a curfew would be great for both teens and us sleeping beauties (and everyone in between). Safety for everyone, sleep for some, and happier Astorians overall. :)
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline mridude

• Mayor
  • THIS is a one bedroom apartment in Astoria?
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 11:20:59 PM »
Noisy phones...noisy kids...how about people who generally drive like they are STILL in the third world. Walking across the street, in the crosswalk with the walk light in your favor?

Too #@%*ing bad pal! Can't you see that I am making a turn here!

I had words TONIGHT with a guy following closely behind another car making a left off Ditmars onto 31 Street who damn near clipped me. I yelled that I was in the crosswalk walking with a green light! He rolls his window down and yells back..."yeah! I saw you! Don't tempt me!"

Don't tempt me? What the hell does that mean? Your gonna backup and really run me down now?

It seems that there is funny idea here about what a pedestrians' rights are in Astoria. I don't want to sound like a xenophobe.....but there are a hell of alot of really terrible drivers in Astoria that.....well....they don't have New York accents.
Definition of a "Junior 1 Bedroom": A Studio Apt. cut in half!

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 09:26:44 AM »
I second the noise pollution concerns.  I'm still sleeping with my A/C fan on just to try and drown out some of the noise (I hate earplugs).

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life