relax

Author Topic: Hockey @ LIC Ice Pavilion  (Read 2462 times)

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
Hockey @ LIC Ice Pavilion
« on: November 05, 2008, 04:36:03 PM »
This is not an ad.  In no way am I affiliated with the rink.  I'm just spreading the news.

Just got an e-mail from the director of Hockey @ the Ice Pavilion (I've known him for a while...really nice guy).  Innagural Adult hockey tournament is going to start next week (the little leagues will probably start sometime later).  If you want in on a team, there will be two "evaluation" (i.e. - tryout) sessions.  The first one is this Thursday - Nov 6th - at 8:30.  The second is next Tuesday - Nov 11 - at 7 p.m.

As you can imagine, you have to supply your own gear.  I don't know if they have a pro shop on site, so if you do go, I suggest you get your skates sharpened prior to.  Insofar as I can tell, all levels are invited.  For those of you who don't know, they basically make you do drills and assess which level you're best suited to play.  No one wants to see someone get hurt if they're playing over thier head.

I will most likely be there on Thursday between the pipes and protecting the twine...depending on how the knee holds up.

I'll laugh if I show up and anyone tries to go high glove side on me.  Unless you have a cannon, good luck with that.

http://cityice.pucksystems.com/

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
Re: Hockey @ LIC Ice Pavilion
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:11:46 PM »
Hockey @ the Ice Pavilion

Any idea how much it costs to watch a game there?

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 07:24:34 PM »
Odd question...never heard of anyone ever paying to watch a non-professional hockey game (unless you're talking about international junior teams.  But to me, those kids are basically semi-pro).  That's like someone paying to see a beer-league softball game. 

There usually isn't anyone in the stands at "beer league" games other than family, friends and "significant others".  But if you're inclined to just check it out, I don't think there would be any problems.

Truth be told though...I've never been to the rink.  So I don't even know if there are stands available.  But hey, a lot of people stand up and watch little league games.  Guess it would be ok to stand behind the glass.  Of course, you do so at your own risk.  This is new plexi-glass.  They haven't been tested yet.

My suggestion...bring a warm jacket and a thermos of hot chocolate.  It is a huge sheet of ice out there after all.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 02:37:15 AM »
I figured somebody's gotta pay for ice time, and admission would be charged to help cover that. 

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:15:09 AM »
LETS GO RANGERS!!!!

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 09:33:40 AM »
When a team gives up two shorthanded goals in the third period to a couple of third line guys who would probably fourth line guys on any other team, and can't beat the backup goaltender...yeah, "GO TEAM GO!!!"

That makes about as much sense as your avatar.

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »
I figured somebody's gotta pay for ice time, and admission would be charged to help cover that. 
The players pay a league fee and I guess there's a fee to participate in the evaluation session.  Anyone not participating (i.e. - just watching from the stands) would not be obligated to pay anything.

Offline murph

• Activist
    • Kevin Murphy - IT Consultant
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:52:05 AM »
this is for a house league or a tournament? you said tournament, but i get the feeling it's a house league.

do they have open hockey times?

i'm supposed to stay off the ice until at least December b/c of shoulder surgery. but i've got the itch to skate a bit and test it out ;)

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 10:24:14 AM »
I would totally go to watch and cheer an Astorians team!  I miss watching live hockey on any skill level. 

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 12:58:07 PM »
this is for a house league or a tournament? you said tournament, but i get the feeling it's a house league.

do they have open hockey times?
The tournament is suppose to be open to any teams from anywhere.  The evaluation session is for "free agents" who don't have a team and would like to join one.

They'll have a house league opening up soon after the tournament ends.

They're suppose to have open hockey.  The website has a tentative schedule.  I would imagine it's subject to change.  I'll probably find out more about tonight.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »
My avatar makes as much sense as yours .... u like hockey , i like hockey and body building .
Yea rangers gave up 2 bad goals and lost a game to team they shouldnt have , but the give the islanders credit ,no matter their roster , they always play the rangers very tough . Rangers still having a great season with the best record in the East . Ill take it .

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 02:25:46 PM »
Just got word that the evaluation session for tonight (the 6th) is cancelled.  Same goes for the session on Monday.  No new dates have been provided yet.

Construction delays, you gotta love them (NOT).

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 12:19:59 PM »
Well, they had some open hockey this weekend and I got an invitation, so I checked out the new rink in our neighborhood and broke in a new sheet of ice.

The facility is nice, but minimal.  I must say, it was also a little unusual to take an elevator from the dressing room to the actual rink.  It's also a little strange playing in what looks like a tiny airplane hanger.

I'm going to post pics and other details in a later review, which I'll post under a seperate thread.  If the original tournament comes up again, I'll post information about that on this thread again. 

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life