relax

Author Topic: Obama Wins!  (Read 15415 times)

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
Re: Obama Wins!
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »
Presidents don't get to do that. Some have wished for that power.

well im glad SOMEONE noticed my post on this and thank you for the clarification as i do find it very important subject

Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »
I'm all for new sources of energy, but they must only be part of a strategy.  We can't move away from coal and bankrupt coal based electrical plants, as Obama suggested we should do in an editorial board meeting in San Francisco.  Wind and solar technology is not efficient enough yet to produce any real power.  And developments like hybrid cars lean less on gas, but more on electricity, which is coal based.  We need a cohesive and comprehensive energy strategy.

And, yes, we need the automakers to get bigger if we are interested in job creation.

I agree, that we need a unified energy strategy, and that we won't be able to derive our power from sustainable resources for a long time (and I am sure that no one is going to been putting the coal and oil companies out of business for an even longer time), but we need to put a lot more effort into trying that we have been so far, and it is an opportunity for new growth. which is what you were asking about.

And if you honestly believe that the automakers are the only sources of job creation in this country, we are in far worse straits than I thought.

Offline LastStop

• Council Member
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
Minnesota elected  a pro wrestler as Governor, almost elected comedian Al Franken as senator, and went for Obama the Clown for pres.       What a messed up state. :-(
Yes, why don't you tell all of us how Obama is a clown, exactly?

Offline kerrigankrewe

• Citizen
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 03:32:09 PM »
I just hope that we keep in mind the principles of the Founding Fathers.

Seeing as the Democratic Party has pretty good claim on being the oldest party in America, I think we got that covered. We had to divide to decide, now let's unite to fight.  8-)

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 03:36:33 PM »
Seeing as the Democratic Party has pretty good claim on being the oldest party in America, I think we got that covered.

Uhhhh... no.

It was the Democratic-Republican Party. It split and has been "switching" sides for a long time.

Offline kerrigankrewe

• Citizen
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 03:42:09 PM »
Uhhhh... no.

It was the Democratic-Republican Party. It split and has been "switching" sides for a long time.

It can be argued. Andrew Jackson got that divide going in the 1830s. The switch was after the turn of the century.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 04:53:47 PM »
I agree, that we need a unified energy strategy, and that we won't be able to derive our power from sustainable resources for a long time (and I am sure that no one is going to been putting the coal and oil companies out of business for an even longer time), but we need to put a lot more effort into trying that we have been so far, and it is an opportunity for new growth. which is what you were asking about.

And if you honestly believe that the automakers are the only sources of job creation in this country, we are in far worse straits than I thought.

Right, but there are other things we could do right now that would lead to an abundance of energy.  Nuclear power is one key option.  Another good step would be to construct a more efficient national electric grid which would allow us to more efficiently transfer energy across the country.  We lose much of our energy because it "leaks" out of the transmission lines, so to speak.  As of right now, the "sustainable" technology (such as wind) produces miniscule amounts of power, but takes huge amounts of physical space and other resources.

Who said anything about only?  And why would it be bad if automakers grew?

Seeing as the Democratic Party has pretty good claim on being the oldest party in America, I think we got that covered. We had to divide to decide, now let's unite to fight.  8-)

I hate these kind of arguments.  You cannot compare the current incarnations of either of our major parties to the intentions of the founders.  The Dem party may or may not be the "oldest" political party, but it did not exist in the time of the founders in its current form.  Same goes for the GOP or any other political party.  The intentions of the founders are philosophical constructs that go beyond whoever happens to be in charge at whatever point in time.

I am literally hearing people make disturbing arguments like "Oh, well, the founders were also in favor of slavery.  Maybe it is time to throw their ideas aside."

Offline oliver klosoff

• Council Member
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 05:27:06 PM »
hey, Barack's inaugural speech has been leaked!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYlDbv7MqE8

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 06:44:22 PM »
It can be argued. Andrew Jackson got that divide going in the 1830s. The switch was after the turn of the century.

No, the original name of the party, waaay back in the day was the Democratic-Republicans. When they split, they split the name.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 09:06:14 PM »

Offline Jiggs

• Council Member
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 11:52:39 PM »
Yes, why don't you tell all of us how Obama is a clown, exactly?

I was mistaken, the people who voted for him are the clowns.  Hi, Bozo.

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 12:54:11 AM »

Hmm, sounds like someone needs to switch shampoo.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 02:02:27 AM »
Please don't let this happen to you....

To avoid this, why don't we recall our favorite Obama jokes?

For example:

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »

I find this troublesome. IMO, the whole point of a democracy is that while my voice gets to be heard, my voice is not the only voice. My values are not the only values that matter. Sometimes, my guy will lose, and that is part of the process. I have to suck it up and do what I can to be involved and make my voice heard. Being committed to a democracy means being committed to a world where all the opinions count for something.

I understand that Republicans are angry and feel disenfranchised. After 8 years of Bush, I know exactly how you feel. But suggesting that the only reason someone would cast their vote differently from the way you cast yours is that there is something wrong with them - they are stupid, ignorant, they do not truly understand what is at stake - is undemocratic. I don't talk that way about Republicans (despite the occasional WTF!). I understand that Republicans hold their values and beliefs as proudly as I hold mine, and I would not take that away from anyone.

I hope that we can find a new way to move forward as a country other than with one half sulking for the next 4 (please god, 8!) years.

Offline plank

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2008, 10:23:55 AM »
at my polling location, a tiny clown car pulled up and 100 clowns got out to go and vote.

and if Colin Powell and Warren Buffett are clowns, then get me a red nose and a pair of big shoes!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life