relax

Author Topic: Obama Wins!  (Read 15419 times)

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
Re: Obama Wins!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 11:00:08 AM »
For one, we need to get to work on the economy.  I ask this as a serious question, and I'm not being snide; what do you guys think Obama will do to help the situation?  My concern is that we're going to become reflexively anti-growth, which is not what we need right now.

Considering that it was the actions of ‘pro-growth’ financial and business ‘mavericks’ and the politicans who loved them that got us into this economic mess in the first place, I’d doubt an Obama administration could possibly do much to f-- it up anymore than it already is.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:51:25 PM by 28Grand »

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 11:03:10 AM »
While certainly not sharing Snowball's enthusiasm, I do want to congratulate all Obama supporter. Particularly those who took an active participation in the campaign.

Now for the love of all that is holy, can the word "Obama" please be added to the Spell Check list of words that are correctly spelled?

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 11:04:48 AM »
Considering that it was the actions of ‘pro-growth’ financial and business ‘mavericks’ and the politicans who loved them that got us into this economic mess in the first place, I’d doubt an Obama administration couldn’t possibly do much to f-- it up anymore than it already is.

Just my opinion, but this is neither the time (nor thread) for finger pointing.

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
Now for the love of all that is holy, can the word "Obama" please be added to the Spell Check list of words that are correctly spelled?

:-D That should be his first order of business. I just added it to every dictionary in my computer.

For one, we need to get to work on the economy.  I ask this as a serious question, and I'm not being snide; what do you guys think Obama will do to help the situation?  My concern is that we're going to become reflexively anti-growth, which is not what we need right now.

I don't understand how Obama will cause us to be anti-growth. I think that us being in the middle of a recession is causing us to be anti-growth if anything.
I think the first step of jumpstarting our economic situation is to get the majority of Americans in a more comfortable financial situation. I think his proposals for more affordable healthcare, lower taxes for the middle class families, and tax incentives to keep jobs in America are a good start to keeping the majority of people in America to spend the money needed to drive our consumer driven economy.
I also think his plan for a phased withdrawal from Iraq, who is sitting on a surplus right now, would be nice to free up some money that would help us here, where we need it, rather than support a foreign country.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 11:52:10 AM »
Anti-growth? What does that mean? Does anyone remember 'zero population growth' and the like? This earth only has a finite amount of resources.

I have a big concern that Wall Street will make his (and our) next four years hell. There will be no attempt to play smoke and mirrors like they did with Bush.

A depressed economy and stagflation are in the cards. Everything from health care to subway fare will jump. Dramatically. Wages will not keep pace.

Right, so raising tax rates, payroll taxes, social security taxes, etc. would be a disaster.  What does population growth have to do with wealth creation?  (Or, as this administration might prefer, wealth redistribution)?

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 11:56:56 AM »
Considering that it was the actions of ‘pro-growth’ financial and business ‘mavericks’ and the politicans who loved them that got us into this economic mess in the first place, I’d doubt an Obama administration couldn’t possibly do much to f-- it up anymore than it already is.

None of the above is necessarily true.  The people who were "pro growth" should have been pro free market as well and let the festering heap collapse without a huge government bailout.  The Wall Street types take big risks, and deserve the big rewards.  But they also deserve the fruits of their own failure as well.

The first thing the Obama administration could do to make things worse is raise taxes, particularly payroll taxes.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 12:34:05 PM »
None of the above is necessarily true.  The people who were "pro growth" should have been pro free market as well and let the festering heap collapse without a huge government bailout.  The Wall Street types take big risks, and deserve the big rewards.  But they also deserve the fruits of their own failure as well.

The first thing the Obama administration could do to make things worse is raise taxes, particularly payroll taxes.

Obama has been consistent in stating that he plans on raising the federal tax rate for individuals making 100K and couples/families making 250K or to put into other terms letting the Bush tax cuts expire. Wouldn't this essentially bring rates in line with to what was in effect during the Clinton era? Other payroll tax rate, i.e., social security, would remain the same.

That’s how I understand it and if I’m mistaken I welcome the clarification.

Admittedly, I'm biased here. My salary has never been high enough for the tax rate to matter. The Bush tax cuts meant nothing to me and neither will an Obama tax increase.

And sorry to not have said this sooner: Congratulations to President-elect Obama on his well deserved win.

Just my opinion, but this is neither the time (nor thread) for finger pointing.

Sorry sweeper, was merely stating my opinion as well and responding to the labelling of Obama as being “anti-growth.” It’s also a bit premature to point fingers and worry about something Obama hasn’t done yet.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 12:40:39 PM »
Sorry sweeper, was merely stating my opinion as well and responding to the labelling of Obama as being “anti-growth.” It’s also a bit premature to point fingers and worry about something Obama hasn’t done yet.

I don't think so.  That's what politics is all about.  Obama has his positions, the other side has theirs, and both are open to criticism on their merits.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »
All I know is that Obama won my home state of Minnesota, which means hell should be frozen over, since in the words of my father during Jesse Jackson's presidential campaigns, "Hell will freeze over before a black man becomes president."   I think he's making plans to move to Alaska, believing that will be his last refuge from liberal Democrats and moderate Republicans!

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 12:58:27 PM »
I think it's a wonderful win and a truly historic moment.  I think both Obama and McCain are trying to bring the nation together in the aftermath of this election and maybe gridlock can be broken in DC.  I'd like to see some change and reform down in DC, it's long overdue.

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 01:12:59 PM »

I don't think so actually. I do think, and hope, that an Obama administration will encourage growth in new directions. We don't need the automakers or oil companies to get any bigger, we need them to get smarter. and we need to move our energy and resources away from companies/ideas that aren't working to encourage new technologies, and new sources of energy,

and most importantly- BETTER EDUCATION. (I swear, my biggest dream for the US ten years from now is to have a class of college freshmen who can all spell and write a complete sentence.)

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
I don't think so actually. I do think, and hope, that an Obama administration will encourage growth in new directions. We don't need the automakers or oil companies to get any bigger, we need them to get smarter. and we need to move our energy and resources away from companies/ideas that aren't working to encourage new technologies, and new sources of energy,

and most importantly- BETTER EDUCATION. (I swear, my biggest dream for the US ten years from now is to have a class of college freshmen who can all spell and write a complete sentence.)

I'm all for new sources of energy, but they must only be part of a strategy.  We can't move away from coal and bankrupt coal based electrical plants, as Obama suggested we should do in an editorial board meeting in San Francisco.  Wind and solar technology is not efficient enough yet to produce any real power.  And developments like hybrid cars lean less on gas, but more on electricity, which is coal based.  We need a cohesive and comprehensive energy strategy.

And, yes, we need the automakers to get bigger if we are interested in job creation.

Offline Jiggs

• Council Member
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 01:31:11 PM »
All I know is that Obama won my home state of Minnesota, which means hell should be frozen over, since in the words of my father during Jesse Jackson's presidential campaigns, "Hell will freeze over before a black man becomes president."   I think he's making plans to move to Alaska, believing that will be his last refuge from liberal Democrats and moderate Republicans!

Minnesota elected  a pro wrestler as Governor, almost elected comedian Al Franken as senator, and went for Obama the Clown for pres.       What a messed up state. :-(

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 02:00:39 PM »
anyone think Obama would repeal the Patriot Act ?
Presidents don't get to do that. Some have wished for that power.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 02:10:06 PM »
Minnesota elected  a pro wrestler as Governor, almost elected comedian Al Franken as senator, and went for Obama the Clown for pres.       What a messed up state. :-(

Well, that's one of the reasons why I don't live there anymore.  Michelle Bachman, the congresswoman who said that the media should investigate whether certain politicians are patriotic is from my home district.  She won last night. And that woman who told McCain that she couldn't trust Obama because he was an Arab was from Minnesota.  They booed McCain when he tried to defend Obama. Pretty messed up, right?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/11/michelle-bachma.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-uptake/mccain-responds-to-arab-a_b_133820.html

By the way, you're more than entitled to your opinion, but would you care to explain how Obama is a Clown?  

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life