relax

Author Topic: Obama Wins!  (Read 15417 times)

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
Obama Wins!
« on: November 05, 2008, 02:06:28 AM »
 :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Even though my vote was more "Not McCain" rather than "For Obama", I am very happy that he won the election.  I liked his victory speech 100% because he does not pretend to have a magic wand to solve the country's problems.  His speech was close to "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country", and from him it sounds like a deal I would participate in.  I feel we finally have our country back.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
Re: Obama Wins!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:38:04 AM »
Obama's victory is especially sweet for those who fought so hard to vote. 

CNN spoke to several African-American voters in Atlanta, who said that it was a bittersweet victory because their parents or grandparents weren't able to see Obama win.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/us/politics/05civil.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Offline kerrigankrewe

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
I, for one, am ecstatic over the revival of voter confidence and a campaign fairly won.

It's just icing on the cake that doors leading to Democratic ideals - like stem cell research and gay & lesbian rights - can now be opened. The dominancy of military might and fear of a secular government were really starting to get under my skin.

It is a long hard road, and I'm happy to trek it.  :-)

JustDesserts

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:03:40 AM »
Speaking of Obama winning, I kinda want to see all those beautiful blue states on that map in Rockefeller Center in person. Does anyone know if  it might still be up, or if it was just for last night's coverage?

A great night for America!

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 09:07:53 AM »
Amazing, once Ohio went blue, I knew that Obama was powering forward. I believe some stations had it practically in the bag sometime around 9PM.
What a great day for America.
I am so glad that the country was smart enough to see past the personal slander and skirted issues and vote for someone who will really take the reigns of this crisis we're in and move us forward on so many levels.

YES WE CAN!

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 09:18:34 AM »
I guess this doesn't bode well for cutting entitlement programs and low marginal tax rates, huh?   :-(

Seriously, congrats to all Obama supporters on a hard fought and excellent campaign.  While I don't support many of the directions Obama plans to take, the people have spoken.  The exercise of democracy is always inspiring in this country, where sweeping changes in government happen without a drop of blood being spilled.  I just hope that we keep in mind the principles of the Founding Fathers.

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 09:28:23 AM »

Obama and Islanders win in the same night , its a good night in my book

now go disapear McCain, please
Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 09:44:09 AM »
Obama and Islanders win in the same night , its a good night in my book

Wait, so the very existence of people who don't agree with you is offensive?

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 09:52:05 AM »

I think you missed the point of Obama's acceptance speech and McCain's concession speech.
Now is the time for us to put partisan crap aside. We are in crisis right now, and it's time to actually be willing to work with other parties and figure out how to dig us out of the mess from the past few years.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »
Now is the time for us to put partisan crap aside.

Yup. I was deeply moved by McCain's speech, and also that Obama took care to address those who did not vote for him and say that he would hear them as well.

I hope we can move together as one country. I want to know what we can do to work together now.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:09:56 AM »
I hope we can move together as one country. I want to know what we can do to work together now.

For one, we need to get to work on the economy.  I ask this as a serious question, and I'm not being snide; what do you guys think Obama will do to help the situation?  My concern is that we're going to become reflexively anti-growth, which is not what we need right now.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 10:46:38 AM »
Anti-growth? What does that mean? Does anyone remember 'zero population growth' and the like? This earth only has a finite amount of resources.

I have a big concern that Wall Street will make his (and our) next four years hell. There will be no attempt to play smoke and mirrors like they did with Bush.

A depressed economy and stagflation are in the cards. Everything from health care to subway fare will jump. Dramatically. Wages will not keep pace.

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
anyone think Obama would repeal the Patriot Act ?
Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline odenhal

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 10:54:55 AM »

this is exactly what is wrong with politics today  :|
you can not deny this gorgeosness, you can only hope to handle it

Offline snowball119

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 10:55:54 AM »
 :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Obama is our next president!!!!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

America is the best country in the world!!!!!

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Only in America!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Can't wait until we all work together to make this country the greatest!!!!!

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Again we have given the world a taste of our true leadership!!!!!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life