relax

Author Topic: Third Term for City Council & Mayor  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
Third Term for City Council & Mayor
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:02:15 PM »
A city council representative publicly stated this week, so I have heard, that they should vote on this issue, rather than getting the public (meaning their constituents) get involved in the term limits issue.

(This is important and frankly a bit surprised its not been mentioned here what with all the careful coverage in threads on fluff issues like real estate, restaurants, and gym memberships)

So lets throw this out:

1. Should we have a public referendum (for the third time)?

2. Should we do nothing and consider the two public votes taken the final say?

3. Should we let city council choose for us?

:|

Offline neo11

• Mayor
Re: Third Term for City Council & Mayor
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »
The City Council should definitely not be voting on this themselves.  After all, they would potentially stand to gain from extending term limits as well.  It reeks of a conflict of interest.  Plus, if they do vote to overturn term limits, they've voted to overturn the will of the voting public, which has kept those term limits in place in two prior referendums.  The proper thing to do would be to hold another referendum.  Of course, with councilpeople like Christine Quinn, who supports Bloomberg's bid for a third term (presumably so she can get another term as Council speaker as well), I don't exactly have much faith that the Council will do the right thing.

However...an even better thing would be for Bloomberg to get off of his high horse and let someone else run.  I honestly can't understand why "Bloomie" is so popular.  The guy is an egomaniac and an opportunist, plain and simple, and his argument for wanting to stay in office for a third term (the financial crisis) just doesn't hold water.  It's ridiculously arrogant of him to try to use his power to extend his mayoral reign, and to claim that he is best suited to manage the city through the economic crisis, when we don't even know in what state the economy will be in 14 months from now, when his second term finally ends. 

Not to mention that Bloomberg was *for* term limits before he was *against* term limits, and that just this past week, he was in California helping to campaign on behalf of a measure that would prevent gerrymandering (changing district maps to benefit politicians already in office).  He stated that he does not feel politicians should abuse their power to stay in office.  Yet that is *exactly* what he is trying to do now by changing the law.

The guy is a hypocrite and power-hungry and should learn to bow out gracefully.  He had his eight years, let's have someone new come in now.

Offline jackinthebox

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 03:13:34 PM »
The people of New York have voted twice in support of term limits, so I believe that the politicians should adhere to this.  I am not necessarily opposed to extending term limits to a third term, but I do not think it should be pushed through at the last minute as the city council and mayor are attempting to do.  They should have another referendum vote, but after this election. 

In no way should the city council be allowed to choose to extend term limits without input from the people of New York.   Close to 70% of the city council members are subject to term limits come November, so how do we think they are going to vote?  Conflict of interest anyone?  If term limits were a concern for the mayor and city council, they could have brought it up at some time in the past 8 years.

Offline BRIAN

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:39:50 PM »
in my opinion its the people of the great city of new york who voted twice for term limits. than it should be the voters too  who make that decision to extent term limits to three terms or keep it at two terms not the city council.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:58:43 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10192008/news/regionalnews/3rd_term_is_lush_hour_134241.htm

The Post now has a piece claiming that a 'slush fund' was set up. A list of city council members include Peter Vallone.

Fellow committee members Domenic Recchia, Helen Sears, Erik Dilan and Peter Vallone Jr. each received between $50,000 and $625,000 from the mayor's fund..

"I think it's obvious that Bloomberg was trying to curry favor here. What else are discretionary funds for?" said one councilman against extending term limits. "Term limits is the most important issue out there, period . . . I think this is one way he laid the groundwork."
Unquote"

Peter should come clean with the community and explain this.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:09:01 PM »
My partner and I just called Vallone's office to add our objection to what Mayor Bloomberg is trying to do.

For me, it isn't even a matter of what one feels about Term Limits. It's this end run around the current law to support the ambitions of ONE MAN.

And I can't help but feel anger over the thought of two billionaires hatching a plan in the back offices of City Hall. If that doesn't make every supporter of democracy anger.....nothing will.

Call Vallone's office and voice your opinion.

718-274-4500
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 02:15:07 PM »
Rudy.G did a good job as Mayor and at one point he wanted to run agian and extend his term, Bloomberg said No.....and that was that....and Rudy did a good job imo...

Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline hillary10

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 04:44:48 PM »
Rudy.G did a good job as Mayor and at one point he wanted to run agian and extend his term, Bloomberg said No.....and that was that....and Rudy did a good job imo...

Guiliani was a disaster as mayor--he did fine as the mayor of 911, but he sucked as the mayor of NY. How did Bloomberg, who was running for office, say NO to Guiliani? That makes no sense.

I am against reversing the term limits for Bloomberg, and it should go to vote, not be a decision made by the Council.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 12:33:40 AM »
Guiliani was a disaster as mayor--he did fine as the mayor of 911, but he sucked as the mayor of NY. How did Bloomberg, who was running for office, say NO to Guiliani? That makes no sense.

He was heavy handed, and surely didn't win any congeniality awards as Mayor.  But Rudy was good on many issues.  Crime rates, anyone?  Mayor Giuliani understood the link between people feeling safe and comfortable here and the willingness to live and do business here.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 05:19:42 PM »
Well, lack of response on this thread, and talking about anything but the issue has made the community's say on this irrelevant.

http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/2008/10/21/vallone-sides-with-bloomberg/

Despite two votes by the public, Vallone has sided with Bumburg.

You can all go back to talking about gym memberships and restaurants dear Astoria.

Offline mcgowan

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 05:44:03 PM »
“For the record, this is not a decision I wanted to make, but one that was thrust upon me. My decision is not politically expedient for me. If this vote passes, I will have closed the door to a borough-wide office that I believe was a very good possibility. I did not make this decision because of how it affected me personally or any other individual, but I based it on what I felt was best for all people in the city.”

This made me laugh. The Borough-wide office will be there when the term limit is up again next round.  Vallone makes what $112k for being a council member and $18k as chair of the Public Safety Committee and was about to be termed out... do you really think he would turn down another chance to make $130k as councilmember?

Look for those who are going to be termed out (especially those who are chairs of comittees) to vote in favor of the a "one time" term limit extension.  Those who want those jobs and would not get the benefit of a 3rd term will likely vote no.  The rest will be bought for and paid by the Speaker and the Mayor.
-Chris

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 11:08:22 PM »
Perhaps we all can do our best to free him up for the borough-wide office. Who is interested in running for council?

Offline neo11

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 08:11:22 PM »
Well, lack of response on this thread, and talking about anything but the issue has made the community's say on this irrelevant.

http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/2008/10/21/vallone-sides-with-bloomberg/

Despite two votes by the public, Vallone has sided with Bumburg.

You can all go back to talking about gym memberships and restaurants dear Astoria.

I have to agree here.  I'm surprised that this issue hasn't gotten much response.  It's a major change to the operating structure of the city, for crying out loud, and in my opinion, an unveiled attempt at a power grab by the Mayor (and some in the City Council, like our esteemed council speaker).

One of the defining features about politics in America is that politics on the local level actually has much more relevance to people's day-to-day lives than politics at the federal level (this as opposed to, say, a Parliamentary system, where power is generally more centralized).  This is not to say that national politics is irrelevant...recent events have proven once again that it isn't.  However, it is decisions made at the state and local level which usually affect our lives much more, and yet, it is those local and state issues that are largely ignored.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
He was heavy handed, and surely didn't win any congeniality awards as Mayor.  But Rudy was good on many issues.  Crime rates, anyone?  Mayor Giuliani understood the link between people feeling safe and comfortable here and the willingness to live and do business here.

Guiliani was  the best Mayor the rotten Apple  ever had, and that's  why he was hated by the same characters who had made this city safe for criminals  and terrorists.  The Job of any leader is  not to make  'nice'  with people, but, to do a job.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 10:26:28 PM »
Guiliani was  the best Mayor the rotten Apple  ever had, and that's  why he was hated by the same characters who had made this city safe for criminals  and terrorists.  The Job of any leader is  not to make  'nice'  with people, but, to do a job.

Ummm...Terrorists? Really? At least try to not mimic the McCain Campaign....
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 10:27:18 PM »
Here is the letter I sent to Vallone...for what it's worth.....

Dear Councilmember Vallone,

I am writing this letter to inform you of my absolute anger at your vote yesterday to extent the term limits to 3 terms for the Mayor of New York City and coincidently, yourself. And please don’t tell me you did not calculate the advantage this would give you if you win a third term.

This letter is not about whether terms limits are right or wrong. I myself have mixed feelings about that. This is about the will of the people.

You stated, according to the New York Times, that your vote was not about one man but for the city itself. I could not disagree more. Your vote was in support of a plan hatched by two billionaires in the back rooms of City Hall. You, after a meeting with the mayor, cast a vote that goes against the will of the voters.

Ultimately, you, a citizen of Astoria, have been bought and paid for by two billionaire elites from the Upper East Side. So, I must ask, what did Mayor Bloomberg promise you during that meeting: a seat at the charter revision committee in 2010 like he did Ronald Lauder?

How dare you go against the will of the voters. And please don’t give some argument that you did it for the good of the people during this crisis. That is a subjective argument that is based on the hope that Mayor Bloomberg will do a good job.

Come on. How can that not make you sick? A deal between two billionaires that changed a law the voters approved.

It comes down to this. You, as a representative of the citizens of Astoria, cast a vote that subverted the will of the people. And in doing so, you benefited yourself. And that, to me, is the mark of a politician who does not stand up for his constituents but for himself. And therefore, as long as I live in Astoria, I will never cast a vote for you again.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 11:12:31 PM »
Here is the letter I sent to Vallone...for what it's worth.....

Dear Councilmember Vallone,

I am writing this letter to inform you of my absolute anger at your vote yesterday to extent the term limits to 3 terms for the Mayor of New York City and coincidently, yourself. And please don’t tell me you did not calculate the advantage this would give you if you win a third term.

This letter is not about whether terms limits are right or wrong. I myself have mixed feelings about that. This is about the will of the people.

You stated, according to the New York Times, that your vote was not about one man but for the city itself. I could not disagree more. Your vote was in support of a plan hatched by two billionaires in the back rooms of City Hall. You, after a meeting with the mayor, cast a vote that goes against the will of the voters.

Ultimately, you, a citizen of Astoria, have been bought and paid for by two billionaire elites from the Upper East Side. So, I must ask, what did Mayor Bloomberg promise you during that meeting: a seat at the charter revision committee in 2010 like he did Ronald Lauder?

How dare you go against the will of the voters. And please don’t give some argument that you did it for the good of the people during this crisis. That is a subjective argument that is based on the hope that Mayor Bloomberg will do a good job.

Come on. How can that not make you sick? A deal between two billionaires that changed a law the voters approved.

It comes down to this. You, as a representative of the citizens of Astoria, cast a vote that subverted the will of the people. And in doing so, you benefited yourself. And that, to me, is the mark of a politician who does not stand up for his constituents but for himself. And therefore, as long as I live in Astoria, I will never cast a vote for you again.

Two Billionares?  I'm with you on this  3rd  term over-ride. But, states and courts have been over ruling the will of  the people for years. I mean it took years  to reinstate  the death penalty. Personally, they should have made it  3 times, instead of two, 3 times and you're  out.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 09:46:30 AM »
Two Billionares?  I'm with you on this  3rd  term over-ride. But, states and courts have been over ruling the will of  the people for years. I mean it took years  to reinstate  the death penalty. Personally, they should have made it  3 times, instead of two, 3 times and you're  out.

Sure the courts have.....like in Brown vs Board of Education. However, in this case, the over ruling of the people here benefited themselves.

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 01:43:55 PM »
The people have voted twice to limit terms to two. This is a power grab by those currently in power and it is against the will of the citizens of NYC. They should either allow  the people to vote on term limits again, or we should all vote against Bloomberg.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 02:05:35 AM »
The people have voted twice to limit terms to two. This is a power grab by those currently in power and it is against the will of the citizens of NYC. They should either allow  the people to vote on term limits again, or we should all vote against Bloomberg.

Why vote  just against  Bloomberg and not also the council  members  who endorsed  it? Personally, I don't care  how many times  someone runs.

Offline neo11

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 02:14:59 AM »
I think most people who feel that Gloomberg should not be elected again feel the same way about the City Council members who voted the same way.  Of course Gloomberg is the one getting the attention about it since it was his initiative, but no one who supported this should be spared.  They should all be voted out of office.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 02:20:06 AM »
I think most people who feel that Gloomberg should not be elected again feel the same way about the City Council members who voted the same way.  Of course Gloomberg is the one getting the attention about it since it was his initiative, but no one who supported this should be spared.  They should all be voted out of office.

LOL.. Gloomberg.  I hear ya,  I voted  for  the guy, figuring he'd continue  'policing'  like Guiliani, but, he's way softer. Plus, he has gone  through  all the parties, Democrat, Republican, etc?  Still, I have  to see  who the alternatives  will be before  I rule  him out?

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
Re: Third /or more/ TermS for City Council & Mayor
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 04:46:38 PM »
LOL..  Plus, he has gone  through  all the parties, Democrat, Republican, etc?  Still, I have  to see  who the alternatives  will be before  I rule  him out?

:|

I know you dont like polls, but again >>>

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2145813020081121

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's popularity fell to its lowest level in three years after he pushed through a law allowing him to seek a third four-year term, according to a poll released on Friday.

Bloomberg's approval rating has dropped from 68 percent to 59 percent in one month, the first time it has dipped below 60 percent since October 2005, the poll by the Marist College Institute for Public Opinion showed.

Bloomberg, a former Wall Street trader and self-made billionaire who was elected mayor in 2001 and 2005, has said his financial experience would be invaluable as the city deals with the global economic crisis.

Critics have accused him of a naked power grab using the financial crisis as a pretext.

Earlier this month, Bloomberg signed a law raising the term limit for elected officials to three four-year terms from two, which would allow him to run in the 2009 mayoral election.

The law, approved in a vote last month by the New York City Council,
runs counter to public referendums held in 1993 and 1996 that imposed the two-term limit.

Just 30 percent of New Yorkers support the term limit extension, while 43 percent oppose it and nearly half say the courts should strike down the law, the poll showed.

Almost half of New Yorkers say the city is headed in the wrong direction, it showed, a marked change from a March 2006 survey when two-thirds said it was on the right path.

Marist pollster Lee Miringoff told reporters at City Hall that Bloomberg's performance in the 2009 election is likely to reflect New Yorkers' view of the economy rather than any hard feelings about the term limits change.

"If he loses, I assume it would be because of the economy and issues of the direction of the city that people want to go in," Miringoff said. "I would be surprised if he's voted out of office because of term limits."

Still, for a city heading in the "wrong direction" seems like Bloomberg has still quite some popularity.
Elected officials (or emperors), do they need anything more than 50+% support.

For those who may still support term limits, are you likely to vote again to impose term limit
?guidelines?
And would you vote Democrat for mayor and Republican for city council??
(where there are no alternatives)
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline neo11

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 05:26:22 PM »
Good.  I hope his approval rating continues to drop and I hope he loses.  Wannabe dictators like Gloomberg have no place in public office.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 12:39:58 PM »
This again, and again, and again. Will voters forget about the term limit void travesty or are voters happy to keep the gang back for another go?

I would love it if all the 2 term incumbents were voted out. But that is another unlikely dream.

In a different cold month, voters will choose several officers including Public Advocate.
Norman Siegel has run before without much luck. Any improved opinions of the man?

For DF hopes for change: (pdf)

http://dfnyc.org/images/stories/flyers/2009-02-04_dfnycearlyendorsementballot2.pdf

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
another vote? ?? Re: Third Term for City Council? & Mayor?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 04:08:51 PM »
In some cases, I do question the effectiveness of voting, but for what it is worth -

http://www.ballot-access.org/2009/02/25/new-york-bill-to-require-new-york-city-popular-vote-on-term-limits-advances/

On February 25, the New York State Assembly Election Law Assembly passed A1224. If it is signed into law, it would require New York city voters to vote in May 2009 on whether they approve of abolishing term limits for the city’s Mayor, city councilmembers, and the other two citywide executive elected posts. The chief sponsor is Assemblymember Hakeem Jeffries (D-Brooklyn). The Senate has an identical bill, S1536, whose chief sponsor is Senator Kevin Parker (D-Brooklyn).

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »
I could see the bill passing both the Assembly and the Senate, but I hear Paterson is likely to veto it - he doesn't need Bloomberg forced out of office and running against him.

Did people see Mark Green is trying to come back as Public Advocate?  What do folks make of that?

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »
Did people see Mark Green is trying to come back as Public Advocate?  What do folks make of that?
Mark Green was/is a publicity whore. Someone needs to tell him to go away. I am so over him.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 01:57:24 PM »
the field in that race is really shaping up to be an interesting one - City Councilmembers Eric Gioia, John Liu and Bill DeBlasio, Norman Siegel and now Mark Green.  Hard to say who will take it.  I can't get going back to your old office - it seems so dated.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life