relax

Author Topic: Want to help build a new CSA in Astoria?  (Read 2414 times)

Gregorywc

Want to help build a new CSA in Astoria?
« on: September 23, 2008, 11:00:17 PM »
A couple of friends of mine and I are forming a new CSA and we’re looking for people interested in joining the core group of planners.  We need committed volunteers to help coordinate with our farmer, set distribution procedures, keep member records, handle outreach and education, and coordinate the distribution site and member volunteer schedules (mainly keeping track of which members will help with distribution on which days.) We’ll be drawing on information from Just Food and past experience to make this the best darn CSA ever, and we’re looking for Astorians (or others!) who want in.  Core members should plan on putting in around ten hours per week, especially during the months when we're organizing members and getting the distribution up and running.  If you're interested, let me know!

Offline gc_nyc

• Resident Visa
Re: Want to help build a new CSA in Astoria?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:21:30 PM »
In what part of Astoria will the distribution site be located?

Gregorywc

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 01:55:35 PM »
We're planning on centering the CSA around 30th Ave and Crescent.  We're still in the process of finalizing a distribution site but we were hoping to do it in that area :mrgreen:

emmaa

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 03:11:31 PM »
hi!
i love the idea of being involved in a CSA right near me! i live on broadway and crescent.
i'm vegetarian and feel like i constantly struggle to find quality vegetables in the neighborhood.

i have an irregular work schedule (i'm a nurse), so i can commit to 10 hours a week but not always on the same days.
however- i do have a lot of weekdays off.

-emma

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 06:41:49 PM »
Rock on, people!  I am part of the core group of the Hellgate CSA and really enjoy it.  CSAs are awesome!  If you ever want to talk CSAs, just drop me a note!

Good luck!  :)

Offline nikita58467

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:33:10 AM »
I wanna help out if it's needed too. I'm moving to Ditmars next week and I used to get CSA while I lived in Long Island. I would love to have fresh veggies all the time! Let me know I can do. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Offline Evita

• Tourist
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 11:49:57 AM »
That sounds great! I was hoping for a new CSA in Astoria, since the other two seem to be full already.

PM me if you're still looking.

Offline skoullias

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 12:33:25 PM »
Would anyone who attended the Just Food "Getting a CSA started" workshop last week like to work together on sending in a request for neighborhood assessment? I'm already in contact with the original poster, and I know there were another 2-3 Astorians at the Thursday meeting I attended. If you'd like to come in contact, please email me at skoullias@gmail.com

I'll collect the emails of whoever has posted them on this and other posts, ask the other CSA's for waiting lists, and hopefully get an answer from Just Food about Astorians that have contacted them.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life