relax

Author Topic: Astoria CSA: Worm Bin vermicomposting help?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline tuffcreampuff

• Resident
Astoria CSA: Worm Bin vermicomposting help?
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:06:34 PM »
Hey there fellow Astoria CSAers,

You are probably the most likely people to have worm bins, so if you could offer me some advice or help, that would be really nice. I'm in the Astoria CSA also!

I went to a worm workshop at the Queens Botanical Garden, and bought their worm bin kit. I've also emailed them and I am currently awaiting a response.

I've had a worm bin set up for less than a week (the worms came July 30th)  :| and some of the worms dried out wandering the bedding in the arid pockets of newspaper I didn't see. The second bad thing is that I put watermelon rinds I'd defrosted in, and they started to mold and stink after just three days. Yesterday there were still chubby survivor worms left under the stinky rinds and kiwi fruit skins, and this morning those worms seem to be gone, and the ones I could find looked freshly dead. I feel terrible! I think I've murdered my worms in less than a week! I'm guessing an anaerobic food source killed them, or maybe they also didn't get enough air in this heat.

My questions are:

If you also got worms mailed to you from the worm farm in GA, were there tiny babies or eggs? What do the eggs look like? I'm wondering if I should wait for babies to hatch or I should go buy a new batch after removing the offending melon rinds.

If you have a healthy worm bin at home, may I come and look at it to better understand what I am not doing right and maybe chat with you?

If you are feeling generous, may I have a few worms (even two would be really helpful!) or some worm eggs from you if you have a healthy bin?

Thank You for anything you can tell me!

You can email me at: regina_furens at yahoo dot com, but I will also check for messages on this BB.

Offline Gasparotto

• Tourist
Re: Astoria CSA: Worm Bin vermicomposting help?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:06:43 PM »
Hi! So sorry to hear about your worms!  :-(  I just started a worm bin a couple months ago and it's going well. I got the worms from a friend who gave them to me in a jar full of compost. I'm happy to give you some of mine when I harvest compost for the first time in maybe a month or so, if you can wait that long. I can't really tell you why my bin is healthy. I don't pay much attention to them, frankly, and only feed them whenever I remember to take a tupperware full of compostables out of the freezer and defrost it.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: Astoria CSA: Worm Bin vermicomposting help?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 04:34:20 PM »
Hey Gasparotto, nice to hear you are vermicomposting, too!  I met with tuffcreampuff the other day and we talked worms.  It might be nice for some of us vermicomposters together sometime and talk worms as well.  ;)  I'm always interested in meeting others with worm bins.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life