relax

Author Topic: Moving  (Read 4869 times)

Offline paratactical

• Governor
Re: Moving
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 04:45:52 PM »
Seriously, Clarusha, thanks. I'm moving Aug 31 and my primary concern is the bed bugs.

I have a question, since you seem to know so much about this stuff!!

I was thinking about going with #2. The lack of insurance--what does this mean for me? Obviously, shiat happens and there's a risk that something might get damaged, but if I was going with a company that had insurance, do I have to pay extra fees for that or is it part of the more expensive prices?

Offline Clarusha

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 06:21:45 PM »
Sorry I wish I knew the answer... : )
I just didn't want to risk it. Even though my stuff isn't worth that much, it's worth a lot to me, know what I mean?

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 10:44:39 AM »
Sorry I wish I knew the answer... : )
I just didn't want to risk it. Even though my stuff isn't worth that much, it's worth a lot to me, know what I mean?

Yeah, I totally understand. I'm just trying to figure out how much more it would be with it. Hrm. Guess it's my turn to do some investigating.

Offline Clarusha

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
Hey all,
A friend of mine who moved to Brooklyn used these guys and just told me about them. They seem to be a good middle ground between "shady" and "safe." They're called Reliable Movers; here's their number. $70/hour for 2 guys.
718 708 0828

Offline urrisgirl

• Senator
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
Here are two links that you might find helpful. The Moving Scam link has a section which shows companies that are on their "blacklist".

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SmartSpending/ConsumerActionGuide/10WaysToAvoidMovingScams.aspx

http://www.movingscam.com/

Offline rdc

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »
I used 'Home Moving', which is a lot like the moving748@hotmail.com place.  You get like 3 or 4 Russian dudes for $60/hr per guy + a truck fee ($15 or $30, I can't remember).  They moved me from Astoria to Washington Heights and will probably be moving me back to Astoria in a couple of months once my lease is done.  They did a really excellent job moving everything and I'd recommend them to anyone.  Their # is 718-492-4027.

Offline Missmarty

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 01:13:26 PM »
Actually, I just talked to Steve, and the rate is $75 for 2 men and the truck per hour, or $100 per hour for the three men and the truck. Basically its $25 per man and $25 for the truck per hour. No travel time within Astoria. They will charge for travel time, if your moving out of Astoria, since they are based here in Astoria.

Offline Opa!

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 01:38:27 AM »
I used Divine Moving when moving from Rego Park to Manhattan years ago. We moved from a 2nd story house (2 bdrm with tons of junk) to a 5th and 6th floor duplex WALKUP in Manhattan.  The guys were great. I think it was 900 something but keep in mind there were 2 of us, and it took them a long time and driving time from Rego Park to Manhattan took awhile. They actually had to wrap up some stuff that we had neglected to do and it was like insane how fast they could tape something up.  The guys were nice too. I would totally recommend them. You could always call for a quote I am sure a local move with one person would be way cheaper.
Here's a review on them.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/divine-moving-and-storage-new-york-2
The guys were hot too ;)

On another note, I used Moishes another time and they were horrible; this was a 3 block move that took 7-8 hours and we didnt have alot of furniture. They took tons of breaks, the guys were rude, one showed up DRUNK (not hungover from the night before- STILL DRUNK), and the price was WAY more than we were quoted. Oh yeh, and they broke the martini glasses that my roommate got for Christmas. Nice.

Offline Kiki526

• Citizen
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »
Whatever you do, don't go with Schleppers- They stole money out of my brother in laws wallet and then took their sweet time with things... A 4 hour job turned into a 7 hour job.....
I apologize in advance! I never spell/grammar check....

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
  • Plays well with others...
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »
I would also NOT recommend Brothers Moving & Storage.  They are thieves.

Offline CarolynK

• Tourist
  • Hi, I am Carolyn K. Hamilton from STATEN ISLAND
    • Carolyn's Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 06:50:28 AM »
Hi,

When I move in New York City, generally I use http://www.nycgreatmovers.com for moving. Overall they are fast, cheap and top rated movers in New York. I found them from Yelp. Most of the reviews was positive and also their google review is very good. Best of Luck!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life