relax

Author Topic: Moving  (Read 4870 times)

Paralegalinator

Moving
« on: August 06, 2008, 03:43:08 PM »
Hallo-

I'm moving from one place in Astoria to another.  Can somebody recommend good movers?  As of right now, I'm doing it with the uhaul for money's sake, but if I get a good, cheap rec, I would reconsider for the ease.  Also, it would need to be people who work well on short notice, since I plan on moving this Sat.  Any recs are appreciated!  Thanks.

Also, a public thank you to Handyman, who will be helping me take down a larger item if I decide to stick with the uhaul.  He is the man.   :-)

Offline murph

• Activist
    • Kevin Murphy - IT Consultant
Re: Moving
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »
i've used these guys twice personally, and friends have used them 5-6 more times.

moving748@hotmail.com
718-569-2089

it's two guys and a 15" foot truck. they bring blankets and pads with them. $60/hour. last move was only like 3 hours, they are pretty quick.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 03:58:58 PM »
Are movers usually good about being kinda careful with stuff? I'm debating hiring people, but part of my hesitation is that I'd rather not have to worry about my bed or desk or other things that don't fit in boxes getting scratched.

Offline murph

• Activist
    • Kevin Murphy - IT Consultant
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »
yeah, they are pretty good. i was worried about my TV, it's big and older. i even inquired about insurance but they didn't offer it, which only worried me more.

but they were real good about it. if you're worried about something, just let them know. they'll take their time with it.

a short chair leg popped off during one of my friend's moves. they came back the next day to repair it.

Offline MFells

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 04:52:24 PM »
I used http://www.garhingmoving.com/ last time I mvoed and they were incredibly fast and cheap.

Offline sandwichnyc

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 05:44:23 PM »
I was extremely happy with Oz Moving when I used them last year.  They did a fantastic job wrapping up larger items and furniture and everything arrived safely.  I'd definitely use them again.  Good luck with the move!

Handyman

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 10:07:59 PM »
Also, a public thank you to Handyman, who will be helping me take down a larger item if I decide to stick with the uhaul.  He is the man.   :-)

Hmmph, I'm your Super for a year and that's ALL you have to thank me about??    :roll:

Paralegalinator

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 10:17:10 PM »

Hmmph, I'm your Super for a year and that's ALL you have to thank me about??    :roll:

Of course not-  please allow me to laud you publically some more:

Thank you, Handyman, for being the best super anyone could ask for and for becoming an even better friend.  You're handsome-er than Captain Hammer and cuter than Dr. Horrible ( you also mumble better than he does  :-P).  You deserve three groupies at all times to sing about your amazingness.  Furthermore, you deserve a beer volcano and stripper factory to be built in your honor (or you could convert to the church of the flying spagetti monster, which is a whole nother story). So here's to Handyman- the best super and friend in Astoria.  And the world. 

Better?   :wink:

Handyman

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 10:19:45 PM »
Better?   :wink:

Now THAT'S what Willis was talkin' 'bout!!!    :2cool:

Paralegalinator

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 11:28:22 PM »

Now THAT'S what Willis was talkin' 'bout!!!    :2cool:

:-D

Also, thank you all for responding.  I think I will stick with my uhaul, but I appreciate the responses.

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 12:06:31 PM »
We got these guys off a random flyer in the neighborhood, but it worked!
Moving Guy Steve:
$75 per guy per hour.
They moved both of us into our current apartment from each of our own and also moved some materials for John to a job before we had the car. Steve's brother supervised all three jobs and he was great. Just tell him what needs to be handled with care and how and in my case he moved those specific items himself.
Steve himself supervised my friend's recent move (actually she's a board member) and she was satisfied with the results.

Good Luck with the move!

Offline Bookgirl83

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 11:37:28 AM »
I just hired Rabbit Movers. They gave me a good deal. They considered my move a "studio" apartment move (even tho I have a 1 bedrm, not taking too much furniture with me).

Cargo Van, 2 guys, $90/hr. They estimate my move to be 3-5 hours.

Definitely worth the money for me since I'm moving into a 5th floor walkup!

Offline Clarusha

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »
Hi Firelight, About MovingGuySteve - you said it's 75$ per guy per hour? How many guys do they bring with them? Was it a local move?
Did they seem careful?

Thanks!

Claire

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 01:22:13 PM »
3 guys total for a local move. Don't know if the rate differs if they are going further. Seems that the guys that come vary with each move. But either Steve or his brother supervise. What I did was, point out to George (Steve's bro) what I needed to be moved carefully-ie my computer etc and he made sure he was the one to move those boxes himself.
They are pretty good. John used them, his former roommate used them, then got them for me, he used them again, I just recommeded to a friend who moved a few months ago and she in turn recommended to someone else we know.
Seems like I'm a shill for them but they're pretty good.
And, apparantly Steve himself is a funny dude.

Offline Clarusha

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 03:43:22 PM »
Here's the sit.: I'm moving from a one bedroom to another 1 bedroom; a few blocks away in Astoria. I have several big pieces of furniture - queen size bed, 3 cushion couch, standard stuff- and I will have boxes of books and other misc items. (I do plan on moving the smaller items myself so that will change the rates)

After contacting a bunch of people, here are my experiences so far: 

1. Shea Moving- they do seem super nice, but a big concern is that they do NOT use plastic wrap for furniture. They reuse blankets for all moves. You can buy their "paper" wraps for $2.95 a sheet though. They say they fumigate their trucks on a regular basis. I'm just concerned with bed bugs here, people. They cannot reassemble couches, but recommended "New York Couch Doctors" 516-328-8234 (of course that would be an additional cost.) Don't have an estimate from them yet. A bonus is that they will actually come to my apartment pre-move to do an estimate. Apparently most moving companies should offer the option for an in house estimate, but for smaller jobs like mine it's not always necessary.

2. moving748@hotmail.com / 718-569-2089
If you're on a budget, these guys seem to be the cheapest I've found. Very no frills, no nonsense. Flat rate $60/hour, two hour minimum, with two guys. They are not insured. They can disassemble and reassemble furniture if need be, and they also use plastic wraps.

3. Rabbit Moving was pricier than expected at $120/hour for 3 guys, plus a travel fee of $60. Considering the short distance of the move, that seemed a bit pricey. But they are insured, and they do use plastic wrap. They said it would be a 4-6 hour job (though I doubt it would be)

4. Based on all my considerations, my favorite so far is Schleppers.com. 212-223-4004 Spoke to a great guy named Art Garfink, totally upfront with me, no bs. They also offer 15% discounts on certain days. (check their website) All inclusive with travel time and for an estimated 3-3.5 hour job, using 3 guys, (Rabbit quoted this as a 4-6 hour job) they said $428 for the whole thing.  They are insured as well. And he kept giving me tips to save time/money. They've been around since 1978.

5. Oz http://www.ozmoving.com/ seemed like nice folks but they were not cheap. for a 4.5 hour job (plus one hour travel time) with 3 guys, they estimated $770 ($655 with discount) They are insured, but also seemed a bit pushy.

Everyone say "thanks Clarusha" for all the work I saved them.   :-)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life