relax

Author Topic: Awful Pet Store on Steinway!!  (Read 14862 times)

lilfootie

Awful Pet Store on Steinway!!
« on: July 26, 2008, 07:40:29 PM »
i went into the pet store on steinway b/w b'way and 31st ave today (the one with all of the puppies in the window) and as i was walking out i saw a cage with two little siamese kittens.  i love cats, so i went to take a closer look and one of them was obviously very ill!!!  it was so sad! it couldn't open one of its eyes, it looked really tired and dehydrated, and it was filthy.  i want to report them to the aspca, but i can't find the store's business listing anywhere! it was clear animal neglect.  does anyone know if you can even report a pet store? any info on the business' name/owner would be appreciated.  i know if the kitten doesn't get medical attention it will die.

Offline MTW

• Campaigning for Council
Re: Awful Pet Store on Steinway!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 07:44:40 PM »
Even if you don't have the information, I believe you could report the incident with just the location and condition of the cat. 

lilfootie

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 07:56:10 PM »
i just checked out the aspca's website and animal cruelty in pet stores has to be reported in writing to the department of agriculture! wtf?!?! like cats and dogs in pet stores that are neglected are different from other animals???

Offline chrismarker

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 08:09:14 PM »
http://www.petlanddiscounts.com/map.asp?Area=Queens

Petland Discounts.
STEINWAY
3028 Steinway St
Between 30th And 31st Street
(718) 278-6921

I hate this place. They carry exotic parrots who are kept in filthy disgusting cages, fed nothing but seeds (which are the nutritional equivalent of potato chips-- responsible parrot owners feed their parrots pellets) and have no perches or toys. The guy that runs the joint looks like he could care less about animals. The puppies most likely come from puppy mills.

lilfootie

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 08:14:36 PM »
its not petland. its the one closer to broadway.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:16:18 PM »
Could it be the little shop of horrors?

US Pet Discounts
3150 Steinway Street
Astoria, NY 11103-3909
718 545-7387

Either call the USDA or 311, please.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »
How do you think pet stores sell their "products"? Cram them into a teeny cage, make people feel sorry for them, so the only hope of rescue is to spend a load of money on them.  :x

Petstores should be put out of business for anything but fish, parakeets and hamsters etc. with regulations made tighter for what the remaining stores can sell. Or just restrict them to private, licensed dealers and shelters.

"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 08:47:20 PM »
How do you think pet stores sell their "products"? Cram them into a teeny cage, make people feel sorry for them, so the only hope of rescue is to spend a load of money on them.  :x

IOW, hold them for ransom.
Want your name in lights? Change it to Exit --Soupy Sales

lilfootie

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:08:17 PM »

US Pet Discounts
3150 Steinway Street
Astoria, NY 11103-3909
718 545-7387

YES!!!!  This is the one!  Thank you!

Offline Jiggs

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 10:18:54 PM »
I think you mean one next to the Gap clothing store, close to Broadway. They have been doing what they do there for at least 20 years.  The pets that don't get picked in few days all start looking sick.     They also charge a ridiculous price, over $1,000 for puppies.  Some, maybe most,  puppies are their long time.   I don't know much about cats and birds, but I would not be surprised if their conditions are wrong for them. 

Years ago a puppie was eating own feces in window, people were complaining to workers and owners, nothing was done.  I got into it with loud mouthed worker,  and he lied to cops who came, said I hit him.  Luckily witnesses backed me up, although jerk-off NYPD gave me hard time.   

« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 10:30:20 PM by Jiggs »

Offline goldfish

• Activist
    • Sara V. Nagle, LMT
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 01:10:18 PM »

US Pet Discounts
3150 Steinway Street
Astoria, NY 11103-3909
718 545-7387

Even the fish tanks there are hideously unhealthy.  That place is horrible.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 02:38:01 PM »
i just checked out the aspca's website and animal cruelty in pet stores has to be reported in writing to the department of agriculture! wtf?!?! like cats and dogs in pet stores that are neglected are different from other animals???

Which website did you go to?  The NYC ASPCA FAQ page states:

I’d like to make a complaint about the conditions/treatment of animals in a pet store. What should I do?
In New York City

New York State is in the beginning stages of the pet dealer licensing and inspection process. In the meantime, if you suspect criminal acts of animal cruelty taking place, such as intentionally harming an animal or depriving an animal of food, water or medical care, please call the ASPCA Humane Law Enforcement department at (212) 876-7700, ext. 4450. For other pet store complaints, please call the Department of Health at (212) 676-2115.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 11:26:08 PM »
My partner and I have a cat, Rosemary, that is a part of our extended family (us gays do what we can).

Anyway, we NEVER go into that store with the puppies in the window. We are extremely disturbed by the "Pay monthly plan" for an animal. What do they do if you don't make the payments......reposses the animal? It all sounds horrible and cruel.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline YaFace81

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 01:02:09 PM »
I am bumping this thread back up the top where it belongs, and I am SO GLAD people are realizing what a terrible place this store is. 

I walk by every now and then, and I have to cross the street sometimes so as not to get upset by what I see in the window there.  Some of the puppies are waaaay too big (well over a few months or so) - they are much too large to be kept in the hideous window area - they are obviously not being purchased, in which case they continue to grow bigger until they are too old, no longer desirable "merchandise," and they ultimately wind up at a local pound or shelter where they are euthanized within a couple of days.

Any store that advertises "no money down, walk out with a puppy" raises huge red flags in my eyes.  The kitten you saw probably was very sick, not receiving any attention, and will probably be put to sleep instead of being given adequate health care.  It's a sick situation and if no one here reports it to the ASPCA, please let me know, because I certainly will.

And if anyone saw Oprah's episode about puppy mills, you can bet your ass that the animals at the "US Pet Discount" did not come from safe, humane, or sanitary conditions. 

I can't even believe pet stores are still in existence at all these days.  It's awful.

Offline plank

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 01:06:48 PM »
I've been to that place, and it is really depressing and sad.   :cry:

And when you walk in, the stench will almost knock you over!  :x

I'd like to get some video footage of that dump and send it to a local news channel, maybe that would get them to clean up their act.

Everyone should tell all their friends and family..... Do not buy puppies and kittens from pet stores, buy/adopt from breeders and/or shelters.
(edited to add that you should buy from a breeder that you are able to visit beforehand to observe the conditions. Not all breeders are compassionate animal lovers.)

Here's a link in case anyone is not aware of this F'd up industry:
http://stoppuppymills.org/inside_a_puppy_mill.html

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life