relax

Author Topic: Places to go solo?  (Read 9683 times)

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
Re: Places to go solo?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 09:04:08 PM »
Well, if you're bringing friends then you're not dining solo.

I would normally be myself on the occasional Saturday afternoon.  It was then that I would engage the bartender in friendly banter and drink until I almost fell off of the beer stool, often at a reduced price.  When my friends would visit me in Astoria, I would take them to Sunswick, so they could enjoy the bar food and company.  I should have wrote that better, I guess.

Ugh, I think I just hijacked the thread.  Sorry about that.

dennmart

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 10:44:58 PM »
Wow, this thread turned into quite an interesting conversation :)

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to be less introverted than what I am, and start being a bit more social when I go out. I will try out some of these spots everyone mentioned, though.

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
  • Plays well with others...
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 11:17:37 PM »
In my opinion, it's not easy to go out and dine solo.  I personally hate it and don't do it although I find no problem with people doing it and have said to myself on occasion "I wish I could do that".  I agree with what has been said on this thread about it just being a state of mind but there is also nothing wrong with preferring company when you dine out. 

Having said that Dennmart, there is plenty of opportunity on this board to do some social networking and meet new people.  Welcome to Astoria.

Offline HI575857

• Activist
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »
I find going to places that have pool tables or darts where you can challenge people to games are easy places to meet people and make conversations. Joining a bar dart or pool league is probably the easiest way to meet people in my humble opinion.

dennmart

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 10:22:52 AM »
What if you suck at both?  :-D

Offline MFells

• Activist
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 10:46:03 AM »
try gilbey's on Broadway and 32nd street. its not normally super crowded and the bartenders and crowd are super nice and friendly. they'll all talk to you in there. a dive bar, but a great time.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life