relax

Author Topic: LIRR station in LIC?  (Read 5324 times)

Offline newastorian35

• Council Member
LIRR station in LIC?
« on: July 19, 2008, 11:30:03 AM »
I've been told that there is a LIRR station walking distance from me in LIC (I live at 35th Ave/28th St.), but I have no idea where this is.  When I walk, i always walk up towards Steinway or left towards Ditmars.  (I feel like the area gets a little shady down below Crescent or above 36th Avenue--am I wrong?)

Does anyone know where this LIRR station is and what it is called (so that I can check the schedule online). I see there is a "Long Island City" option, so I assume that is it.  Also, is there parking around this station if I decide to drive there?

I'd appreciate your help!  I'm trying to get to Long Beach today, may be drinking so I do not want to drive, and it's a giant hassle to get to Woodside (N/W down to Queensboro Plaza, 7 up to Woodside--but who knows how often it shows up on the weekends?)

Astorians

LIRR station in LIC?
« on: July 19, 2008, 11:30:03 AM »

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
Re: LIRR station in LIC?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »
There are two stations in Long Island City: The Hunterspoint Avenue station and the Long Island City station.  There is a larger station at Woodside Avenue. I have included the link to the time tables and station sites on the LIRR website.  http://mta.info/lirr/

Time table LIC and Hunterspoint and Woodside

http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/CityHP-LIC.htm (I keep getting an error message when I try to search for service to LB from these stations.  Maybe they don't there on the weekend?)
http://lirr42.mta.info/DepartSchedule.asp (This is the schedule for service to Long Beach)

And the station sites, which provides directions

http://lirr42.mta.info/stationinfo.asp?station=001
http://lirr42.mta.info/stationinfo.asp?station=002
http://lirr42.mta.info/stationinfo.asp?station=009

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »
Ok, I'm an idiot.  The schedule that I included, indicates stops at Hunterspoint and LIC Mon-Fri only.  I guess someone who knows the LIRR better than I do can assist you.

And also, I think you have to transfer at Jamaica Station if you want to take the LIRR from Woodside.

I have no idea about parking at Woodside.

Offline newastorian35

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
Thank you for the fast response!  It seems like to get to all these stations, you have to take the 7 line by subway? 

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:52:36 AM »
Yep.  The 7 stop at Woodside/61st Street is above the LIRR.  You will see the Woodside Avenue LIRR slightly to the left, I believe, if you're headed towards Flushing.  There are signs that will direct you to the platforms.  The site indicates that the ticket office should be open right now, but you will find out soon enough if it is or not.

Good luck and enjoy your day at the beach!

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 08:30:47 AM »
It's easy to get to Woodside station by train. I do it every weekend.

And you don't have to change at Jamaica  - you get the Long Beach train at Woodside and
stay on that train straight through to Long Beach. Same for the return.

Some weekday trains require a transfer but the weekend ones go straight. Fare is $18
roundtrip with beach admission included.

Offline Frappe

• Senator
  • Life is Easy.
    • The Chocolate Dog
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 12:57:23 PM »
The hunterspoint and LIC stattions are not really viable options.  Service is greatly curtailed at both stations.

I know the point has passed, but for future reference, to get to the Woodside Station from your area, you can take the Q18 bus that runs along 30th avenue.  It runs relatively infrequently and it just might be worth your time to take the N/W to the 7 and then on out to 61st street, but if you do catch the Q18, you lucked out.
Molwv Labe

Offline newastorian35

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 01:41:30 PM »
What I did (and always do) is take the N/W down to Queensboro Plaza then the 7 up to Woodside. I find that transferring with less frequent weekend service to be a giant hassle, though.  I made the LIRR train on Saturday with literally 10 seconds to spare. 

Is there a way to drive to Woodside?  Well, of course I realize there is a way, but once I get there, is it reasonable to expect that I can park nearby in a safe area and can quickly get to the station?  Does the station have parking that you can pay for (like every other train station in the country)? 

I just started dating someone who lives right on the beach on Long Beach and it makes more sense for us to hang out there rather than in my tiny studio apartment (although Astoria has better food :-)), so this could be something I do fairly often.  Should I just figure out how to drive there?

Offline Frappe

• Senator
  • Life is Easy.
    • The Chocolate Dog
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 02:22:18 PM »
No, there is no parking at all at Woodside train station.  You might be able to score some weekend parking in the adjoining neighborhoods, but that's the standard city gamble.

I take the train out to Fire Island all the time and the Woodside train station is my access point as well.  Generally, I'll take the Q18 to the Woodside train station and then grab the LIRR.  On the way home, its almost always a Sunday, so Q18 service is marginal.  I'll splurge for a cab ride from one of the black cars.  If it is really nice and I feel into it, I'll hump it from the station to home.  Its about a 2 plus mile walk, pretty safe and its not the end of the world to do one of those once in a while. 

I think if you work out the costs for your situation, you'll still be saving money by doing something like that, in particular with the cost of gas.  And as a plus, drinking and driving is no longer an issue.
Molwv Labe

Offline urrisgirl

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 02:35:33 PM »
Driving to Long Beach in the summer can be a nightmare with traffic. I would have to agree with the other posters that the train is the way to go. I usually take the N/W to the 7 and just allot a little extra time so that I don't miss my train. Or like Frappe mentioned if I am running late and think I am going to miss my train I take a car service over to Woodside.

My husband has parked on the side streets of Woodside with relatively no issues overnight. Though sometimes the parking is more limited than others I guess it really depends on which day and what time you plan on parking.

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 02:35:33 PM »

Offline Krizzle

• Tourist
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 04:16:53 PM »
Another viable option is to take the G, R, or V train from Steinway all the way to the Forest Hills (71st / Continental) stop.  Once you exit, the Forest Hills LIRR station is 2 blocks away.  Very convenient.

The subway portion takes about 20-25 minutes, but I travel back and forth to Long Island often during the weekend, and I feel this is MUCH easier than doing the Woodside / 7 Train / NW transfer nightmare, especially when returning to Astoria on Sunday nights.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 04:38:02 PM »
If you do the Forest Hills option, make sure you're there for the right trains. Not all stop at
Kew Gardens or Forest Hills - those are the two stations between Woodside and Jamaica.

For instance, the weekend train that I get from Woodside at either 7:15 or 8:15 a.m. goes
express from Woodside to Jamaica, then local after that. You don't change at Jamaica which
is great.

I always allow extra time whether I take the Q18 or the N/7 on weekends. The Q18 runs
about every 20 minutes and from where I am at 30th Ave. & 29 St. the ride is less than
15 minutes.

Offline Frappe

• Senator
  • Life is Easy.
    • The Chocolate Dog
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 08:43:34 AM »
Just as a little epilogue, last night I hoofed it from the Woodside train station to Astoria and I decided to time it.  It took 33 minutes to get from Roosevelt and 61st to 30th and Steinway in flip flops and a knapsack.  That is with following the Q18 bus route (in case it comes by and I can then just hop on it), up to 54th Street and Northern.  After that continue up Broadway till Newtown, and then up Newtown to 30th and Steinway.

Nice thing to do on a summer's evening.

Molwv Labe

Offline newastorian35

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:01:46 AM »
Wow, 33 minutes is definitely less time than waiting for the N,  transferring, waiting for the 7, taking the 7.

Ok, so I have a horrible sense of direction...  I gather from your post that I am walking uptown down Broadway until 61st St.  Then, to get to Roosevelt Ave, I am to go right towards Northern Blvd. to get to Roosevelt Ave?  How many avenues over is that?  And did you feel safe walking the whole way?  I'm a female on the small side and will be walking by myself.

As for those train/beach package tickets, can they be purchased from the machine at the woodside station, or do I have to go to a ticket agent (if there is one at Woodside?)

Thanks so much for your help.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 10:29:15 AM »
Broadway crosses Northern Boulevard at 54th Street, so you actually pass Northern as you walk to 61 street along Broadway. After turning right on 61 street it's about 3 avenue/long block to Roosevelt.

Not sure if you can buy beach combo tickets at the machine but there is an LIRR ticket office at Woodside

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life