relax

Author Topic: how come a thread got locked without a comment from a mod?  (Read 7473 times)

Offline Scribbles

• Activist
how come a thread got locked without a comment from a mod?
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:34:01 AM »
As much as I'd love to bash the gay community, I won't b/c I'll respect their choice - I think we've all noticed that they are flooding the Astoria area by large margins.

But my problem is with the transexuals parading around hotspots like Steinway St. and whatnot. It is VERY VERY DISTURBING. Often times, they are extremely loud and obnoxious and at the PM hours they can be violent. Seeing as how they've been stopped by the police numerous times. Aside from that little clique that they have. There are lots of others moving in daily....

I find this extremely haunting for all residents in Astoria and even worse for the children who are witnesses to this alarming rise.

:-o :x

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
Re: Alarming Things I Noticed in Astoria as of Recent...(Trannie Scare)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:43:02 AM »
Sounds rather alarmist to me.  I haven't noticed any such influx, and I fail to see why it would be bothersome if there were.  As long as people aren't breaking the law, why can't you live and let live?  If they're being noisy, call 311.  If they're doing illicit things, call the cops.  Other than that, you just have to live with your neighbors, transsexuals and all.

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:50:04 AM »
Wow, anyone else you'd "love to bash"? Blacks? Hispanics? Asians? Jews?

Welcome to New York, buddy, you can always go move to the bible belt if you don't like it here.

Offline Scribbles

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »
I take it, you guys have not noticed them as of yet LOL because 9 times out of 10 when you walk past them they have something to say to you...(that's just one particular group)

I don't mean to come off sounding ignorant but you would know what I mean once you seen them. But ask yourself honestly, would you want your kids exposed to such things? And I don't even have kids....

PS: Don't try to flip this as a racial/sexual preference rant b/c it's not. It's basically a notion of decency and respect towards your fellow neighbors. Like I said before, if you're homosexual - so be it - I can respect your cause or whatnot. But when a dude's nuts is hanging from his miniskirt and comes running up to you yelling about "my pansy is burning" (just one instance)...then that is quite disturbing....

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:26:39 AM »
I take it, you guys have not noticed them as of yet LOL because 9 times out of 10 when you walk past them they have something to say to you...(that's just one particular group)

I don't mean to come off sounding ignorant but you would know what I mean once you seen them. But ask yourself honestly, would you want your kids exposed to such things? And I don't even have kids....

I grew up in this city, and I've seen my fair share of people from all walks of life, and that's what makes this city interesting, not the people trying to homogenize the culture. If I wanted a bland, "proper" culture, I'd have moved to Kansas.
And yes, I would want my kids exposed to such things. This way, when they grow up, they don't have to be afraid of "The big, scary gays" and they won't say things like "As much as I'd love to bash gay people..."

PS: Don't try to flip this as a racial/sexual preference rant b/c it's not. It's basically a notion of decency and respect towards your fellow neighbors. Like I said before, if you're homosexual - so be it - I can respect your cause or whatnot. But when a dude's nuts is hanging from his miniskirt and comes running up to you yelling about "my pansy is burning" (just one instance)...then that is quite disturbing....

Well if and when that happens to me, I'll be sure to blame that person for being crude. I don't need to make brash generalizations about homosexuals or cross-dressers.

Offline katerer

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »
Trannie Scare? Are you serious.

I have to say, the only thing that scares me is that there are people like you floating around the neighborhood.

Offline liman73

• Activist
  • Let's Go Mets! F-A-N... Da-Na-Na!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 12:00:43 PM »
A trannie who runs up to you or your kids with his "nuts hanging out" is not cool, but that is his fault, not all transvestites.

Just like if a white man robs you it is HIS fault, not all white men.

And your comments wouldnt have sounded nearly as ignorant and biggoted if you didn't start with the statement "As much as I'd love to bash the gay community."

That just makes everything else you say totally biased and naive.
"Trickling, it is a fair ball....gets by Buckner! Rounding third Knight! The Mets will win the ball game! They Win! They Win!"

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 12:00:57 PM »
I thought I had seen it all on this board, but this topic totally shocks and disgusts  me. OP you say you aren't ignorant, but like liman said, you are and naive to boot.Mods can we get rid of this useless bloody thread?
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 12:02:47 PM »
Trannie Scare? Are you serious.

I have to say, the only thing that scares me is that there are people like you floating around the neighborhood.

Be careful, you may get a warning from a mod for "insulting another poster" due to calling them out for this disgusting, hateful behavior.  Apparently, hate speech is tolerated (hate speech that is often smearing an entire community of people), but expressing your opinion about one is espousing the hate speech is not.  

Offline hayleyree

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 12:05:41 PM »
Crudeness, rudeness, general offense behavior is not ever isolated to a particular group (ethnic, socio-economic, religious, alt lifestyle, etc)...  It is ALWAYS unfair to generalize.

I have heard equally nasty comments out of the mouths of teenagers, suited-up Wall Streeters, even distiguished philanthropists at charity events....

I really hope that all the press about Carmens Place doesnt bring out the bashers....that would be a shame.

My husband and I have lived all over Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn and we chose Astoria because of its diversity. We are at the age that we are going to have to make the "procreation decision" in the next 5 years and wanted to move somewhere that a child would be exposed to a wealth of differences.

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 12:13:38 PM »

If there were a case of public exposure, I'd call the cops.  That's not limited to transsexuals, though.  People who know me know that I'm against public disorder, but it's of no issue to me who is the source of the disorder.  If you can live in the community in an orderly fashion, I don't care what your gender identity or sexual orientation is.

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 12:15:08 PM »
Be careful, you may get a warning from a mod for "insulting another poster" due to calling them out for this disgusting, hateful behavior.  Apparently, hate speech is tolerated (hate speech that is often smearing an entire community of people), but expressing your opinion about one is espousing the hate speech is not.  

Whatever would give you that idea?

Offline duska3419

• Mayor
how come a thread got locked without a comment from a mod?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 08:27:32 PM »
I'm talking about the 'Trannie Scare' thread. It got locked but no mod said anything like 'I'm locking this thread because it is a violation of rules and stuff and this will not be tolerated on our website' or something

:-(

*Edited to change thread title from plural threads to thread since I really only meant that one.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
Re: how come a thread got locked without a comment from a mod?
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 07:34:45 AM »
I was kind of surprised at that too. I think it was a good idea to lock it, but usually there's a comment on why when a thread is locked.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Re: how come a thread got locked without a comment from a mod?
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 07:41:24 AM »
There's some discussion about this thread going on among the moderator group, and we thought it was best to lock the thread temporarily. Sorry about no reason being posted.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life