relax

Author Topic: Petitioning Season  (Read 3796 times)

Offline mangopaco

• Activist
  • mangopaco's chicken nugget
    • Dear Chicken Nugget
Re: Petitioning Season
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »
My favorite part of petitioning is seeing how many Republicans there are in the neighborhood  :-D

It usually goes like this:

Petitioner: Excuse me, sir.  Are you a registered Democrat?

Guy trying his best to avoid petitioner: No, I'm a Republican.

If only another party actually had those kinds of numbers in the city...

Of course, my favorite answer is: I don't have time right now.  [walks away and then stops in front of a store to stare at purses for a couple of minutes]  :x

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »
LMAO.....I was reading through the thread and kept wondering why McDirk was petitioning for Onorato. It wasn't until I got to FZ's post that I realized the original thread was 2008.  :x

Anyway, my partner and I was stopped by JFP petitioners on 30th Ave by the subway and we both signed it.

If we get stopped by an AS petitioner, can we sign that one too? I'm a fan of signing all petitions regarding getting candidates on the ballot.

The more the merrier, I always say.

Yep, it was back in the days before he was a no vote on equality.

You can only sign one petition per office, so if you sign Jeremiah's petition, you could not sign Aravella's, though you could sign the slate petition and your signature would be valid for all of the offices listed, except for Aravella's bid for Assembly.  Hope that helps!

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »
I've seen this too, mcdirk. There's definitely a segment of the population that's gotten really cynical. They're telling me that politicians prioritize power over principles and have rigged the system to minimize the impact that ordinary people can have. Honestly, I've certainly seen signs of that. At your own swearing-in at Powhatan, I saw Club officials pledging allegiance to elected officials like Joe Crowley. That's just nuts. Elected officials are public servants and work for the people of our community--they owe US allegiance. But Queens Dems run things very top-down and I feel that places high barriers of entry to everyday folks.

On the other hand, even many of these disheartened people still sign my petition. And many of the people I encounter are downright enthusiastic about making a difference and happily take literature to learn more. So there's always hope!

Hope folks get less cynical and get involved.  Most of the people with whom I've been speaking are open to dialogue, even if they don't sign.  I met a couple yesterday who had never had anyone come to their doors with a petition in over 70 years in their home - we had a lovely discussion and they both signed.  Of course, I also had someone tell me he was calling the cops on me and going to have me arrested too, so you get all types.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life