Rose & Joes (Under Ditmars Subway)
3 (15%)
Porto Bello (Ditmars & 41st St)
1 (5%)
Last Stop Cafe (Under Ditmars Subway)
4 (20%)
Thirty One (Under Ditmars Subway)
7 (35%)
Astoria Park (Ditmars just off the park)
1 (5%)
Sergio's Pizza (43rd & Ditmars)
0 (0%)
Alba's Pizza (37th & Ditmars??)
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: August 31, 2004, 03:19:36 PM

Author Topic: Best pizza in Astoria?  (Read 9630 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Best pizza in Astoria?
« on: August 31, 2004, 03:19:36 PM »
I've tried several places and I'm wondering what others think. If you know of a place that should be added to this list don't vote, write a message here and I'll add it.

Offline morrisrock

• Tourist
Thirty-One for gourmet pizza
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 08:16:52 PM »
I like Thirty-One's pizza (31st btwn Ditmars and 23rd Ave).  They also have a nice dining room in the back for dinner, but don't go when it's raining -the skylights leak!
My wife votes for Pizza Palace, btw.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 09:28:30 PM »
I like Last Stop the best because they have really good crust. Otherwise I honestly am not much of a pizza fan - unless it is simple mediterranean style with good crust.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

actingman

Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 08:20:27 PM »
Astoria Park is my favorite pizza to date (Ditmars, just off the park).  They're a bit off the beaten path, but seem to deliver most anywhere.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 09:13:13 PM »
I've added the new Pizza joints to the poll. I need to try a couple of these places and see if I've been missing out on something!!

Danny

Great Food in Astoria
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 12:07:29 PM »
For terrific italian food, I highly recommend "Phillies" on Ditmars between 20th & 21st Street.  Cozy atmosphere, delicious food!  Also, for Japanese quisine, particularly sushi, Go Wasabi (on Ditmars off of 31st street).  I also highly recommend "Ditmars Pizza" on Ditmars & about 23rd Street?  Contrary to the uninspired name and decor, this is a great place for pizza and greek food.  They even make terrific homemade rice pudding on occasion.  The husband & wife who run the establishment (Mike & Elizabeth) are the nicest people in the world.  Check it out and enjoy!

Offline mridude

• Mayor
  • THIS is a one bedroom apartment in Astoria?
pizza
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 06:17:01 PM »
Rose and Joe's on 31 has very good "bakery" pan pizza. It is the sauce especially that makes it good, however the dour females who work there can be a challenge. Porto Bello in the strip mall down where they are refurbishing the old Steinway Piano Factory on 41st has excellent pizza as well, and smiles too. Pizza Palace now offers whole wheat pizza which is worth a try. They are friendly there too. Last Stop on 31 St. Never had their pizza but the Chicken Parm Hero for $6.00 is great.
Definition of a "Junior 1 Bedroom": A Studio Apt. cut in half!

oftroy

31 all the way
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 03:10:09 PM »
thirty one has such yummy brick oven (i believe)pizza, perfect location too, as a religious multitasker, i jump right off the steps into that place and grab a fresh slice for the walk home, it always has hit the spot. :lol:

wynnwill

You are missing the best one!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 06:10:21 PM »
Sergios' Pizza further down Ditmars (I think it might be 43rd street?  Somewhere by Hazen).  The deliver 718-274-8595.  Also, Alba's pizza is good.  They are only 37th and Ditmars.

Annwyn

Re: Great Food in Astoria
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 05:36:53 PM »
I second that notion !!
I went there one summer day when my apartment was being worked on, and i found that the pizza was quite good, made with quality ingredients.  The guys in there are quite pleasant.  

Quote from: Danny
For terrific italian food, I highly recommend "Phillies" on Ditmars between 20th & 21st Street.  Cozy atmosphere, delicious food!  Also, for Japanese quisine, particularly sushi, Go Wasabi (on Ditmars off of 31st street).  I also highly recommend "Ditmars Pizza" on Ditmars & about 23rd Street?  Contrary to the uninspired name and decor, this is a great place for pizza and greek food.  They even make terrific homemade rice pudding on occasion.  The husband & wife who run the establishment (Mike & Elizabeth) are the nicest people in the world.  Check it out and enjoy!

iLoveCheese

veggie pizza
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 12:26:14 PM »
Hi all, I see this thread is ancient, but I did a little thing on my blog about this. FYI.

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 08:15:32 AM »
I see that all the good pizzerias are on or just off Ditmars Blvd.  Is that an accident?  :roll:
Want your name in lights? Change it to Exit --Soupy Sales

iLoveCheese

Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 09:10:07 AM »
I think Napoli (34th Av) and Grand Av (30th Av) are the best!

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005, 09:01:14 PM »
Grand Ave. is good, better than the others I've tried in southern Astoria; I don't know about northern Astoria.  But what I really like about Grand Ave. is the peace and quiet.  It has no radio, no TV, no canned or live music, just blessed silence.  I go there with a book, order a hero, and read before and after I have my meal.

KilDaraSidhe

Hey!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 11:03:21 AM »
My favorite place is not listed on this poll. I like Michealangelo's Pizza. Thier special pie is awsome and the thin crust is good. I usually don't care for thin crust.

LONGFELLOW

golden triangle of pizza
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 05:46:22 PM »
we are so lucky to have the Golden triangle of pizza right under the ditmars stop.  Rose & Joes, Rosarios and Frankies.  Pizza Palass BLOWS. You can't even put it in the running.  31 is "Unusual" pizza, but it's not that good.  The crust is too watery.  Portobello is great.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 08:33:38 PM »
What is wrong with Pizza Palace? I find it to be quite delicious and very consistent, with generous and tasty toppings (except for the spinach and broccoli, but I would never recommend getting spinach and/or broccoli on pizza to begin with). I guess if you don't like their pizza once you'll never like it, but I think everything about it is perfect.

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 08:56:06 PM »
"Blows"--I suppose that's the new "sucks"  :wink:

Offline Richard Starlite Karaoke

• Citizen
    • http://www.starlitekaraoke.com
S & S Calabro Pizza
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 03:05:38 AM »
I was born and raised in Astoria and like most Astorian's we know for years we have the best bread and pizza in the world, must be something in the water. Now I am not going to say what I think is the best pizza out there but I will tell you of one of the oldest pizzeria's in Astoria. If you go to the corner of 14 Street and 30 Drive. you will find S&S Pizza which has been there for over 40 years and it is still the same great quality of pizza. Sal and Silvio used to run the operation for years but it is now being run by their nephew for some time now. When I am feeling nostalgic I can always count on S&S to take me back to my youth. The whole neighborhood was raised on this stuff... The neighborhood has changed considerably now but this pizza will raise a whole new generation. Give them a try sometime
Starlite Karaoke:
Changing the World Through Music...
One Bar At a Time!

Offline Richard Starlite Karaoke

• Citizen
    • http://www.starlitekaraoke.com
Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2005, 12:40:00 PM »
I have lately been going to Boston Pizza on 37 Street and Broadway, after my karaoke shows, because they are always opened late... The Pizza is simply great, it sort of reminds me of the old Bakery Pizza by MT. Carmel that we used to get when I was a kid. That was truly the best pizza. Just ask any MT Carmel Alumni and they will all agree. But getting back to Boston Pizza, it is really good pizza and Charlie the owner there is a great guy who will sometimes even serenade you with his singing and guitar playing... Go and check it out! Tell Charlie that Richie the Karaoke guy sent you and ask him to sing you a song...
Starlite Karaoke:
Changing the World Through Music...
One Bar At a Time!

daveed

Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 10:24:27 AM »
IMO Boston Pizza is the WORST in Astoria, followed by Grand Ave. I'm astonished that it does any business in New York, not only with a name like that, but with its awful convenience-store taste. You get better pizza at a gas station off the Thruway. Blech!

Star Pizza on Steinway is quite good. A real paisano runs the place.

iLoveCheese

hmmm
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2005, 10:34:18 AM »
Actually, I think Grand Ave's focaccia pizzia great! Grand Ave also makes a really good veggie pie, and killer eggplant parm, but over all their 'za sucks.

daveed

Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 10:48:09 AM »
Hmm, I'll have to give Grand Ave's foccacia a try... :)

I used to be a regular at Pizza Palace (much to my waistline's chagrin... ;) ) until they upped their price to $2.10 a slice. Now I know a dime's not that much, but it seems too pricy for what is just standard fare as far as 'za goes. Kinda took the shine off going there on a regular basis.

Offline Marty

• Resident Visa
Best Pizza in Astora
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 10:05:10 PM »
I'd vote for Portobello if I could figure out how the poll worked.  But for whole wheat pizza (my favorite) I'd say that Rose & Joe's make the best.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005, 11:55:14 PM »
Quote from: daveed
I used to be a regular at Pizza Palace (much to my waistline's chagrin... ;) ) until they upped their price to $2.10 a slice. Now I know a dime's not that much, but it seems too pricy for what is just standard fare as far as 'za goes. Kinda took the shine off going there on a regular basis.

Yeah, I'm rather dismayed by their $3 price for slices with toppings. I still love them, but it pains me. I think it's better than standard fare, though.. there's just something about the taste of the sauce and the texture of the crust that gets me every time.

Offline ladywithpans

• Mayor
Best pizza in Astoria?
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2005, 08:08:33 PM »
I don't mind Grand Ave's regular pizza, tho I think Boston's is truly mediocre.  Try Grand Ave's chicken parm. hero.  BTW, Joey, how do you like the peace and quiet?  :wink:

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life