relax

Author Topic: Privacy  (Read 2678 times)

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
Privacy
« on: June 16, 2008, 10:37:06 PM »
Can Moderators read Private Messages sent from one member to another?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Re: Privacy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »
No, they can't.

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:59:11 PM »
No, they can't.

It's good to know.  I would feel embarrassed if you and Merm read all the nice things I say about both of you :evil: Just Kidding.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 11:18:22 PM »
wow - thanks!  :-)

your privacy is safe!  but feel free to say nice things!

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:13:56 AM »
As Dirk says, the practical answer is "no", however the technical answer is "yes". I'll explain:

Everything you do on the site is logged in a centralized database and stored in different tables. Some of your personal information is encrypted such as your password etc (I am not sure what information exactly is encrypted actually, but with some work that could be decrypted). Some of the information is in plain text. The forum software doesn't allow moderators to see personal messages, but it does allow us to see somethings such as the activity log and IP addresses of each post.

It is technically possible to extract all information out of the database if it was necessary. However, unless and until we suspect illegal activity, hacking, etc or are served a warrant we won't do that. Private messages are "private" with those caveats, however, direct email is also a good option for privately messaging other members as then the information doesn't get logged or stored in the Astorians database (there are other privacy issues with email that I won't go into - but at least your information wouldn't be stored here, but would be stored with your ISP or email provider.)

So the practical answer is "no" in that your private messages aren't read, but "yes" in that technically it's possible that they could be because they are stored in the same database as all the posts.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:51:10 AM by merm »

buddy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 11:19:21 AM »
Hey, if the FBI is bored and wants to read my PMs, let them.  My tax dollars work in strange ways.  HA.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life