relax

Author Topic: How to get yourself banned  (Read 14343 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Re: How to get yourself banned
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 07:28:07 AM »
First of all it was sarcasm, or does that go over your head? Secondly, who died and made you king?

I certainly didn't get it, so based on this post I suppose that means it went over my head. This actually sounds a little like an insult to me, did you intend it that way?

Nobody is claiming the throne, you had publicly asked why you got suspended, and are getting legitimate responses to the question.

She was, albeit jokingly, asking you permission to call "someone" an a$$hole, however, I can't tell from reading her post who is that "someone".  I don't think it is fair to assume that her comments were directed to the poster immediately before her.  In fact, in re-reading the posts I don't think they were.  She simply didn't call anyone a "bad" word. 

It was the context of this post within this particular thread that made it seem that she was trying to be baiting and inflammatory. Had she started a new thread that was unrelated and asked the question it would have been fine, or if the question was genuine she could have sent it in a PM (which she has done in the past). But within the context of the thread I (and others clearly) took the post in an unintended way.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:40:07 AM by merm »

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »
This actually sounds a little like an insult to me, did you intend it that way?

It isn't an insult, actually, it's just my native new yorker sarcasm coming out. It's along the same lines of -" what do you want, a medal or a dog biscuit?" type of sarcasm. It doesn't come across well online, granted, but to suspend me for a comment, about throwing someone in the East River, and I didn't say- " I'm gonna throw him into the East River". What I said was- " I nominate him to be thrown into the East River" It's a little different. If that's an insult, well then, I'm at a loss for words on how to actually accept that.
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

BigBryan

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
Is that like the expression " Send someone on a slow boat to China " ?

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »
I highly recommend reading all posts after a lot of wine

I agree--all of you should be banned for not bringing me a glass of cabernet sauvignon.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 12:34:55 PM »
Is that like the expression " Send someone on a slow boat to China " ?

I haven't heard that one in quite awhile. But, yes.

Or- "take a long walk on a short pier". etc etc.
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
  • Plays well with others...
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »
It was the context of this post within this particular thread that made it seem that she was trying to be baiting and inflammatory. Had she started a new thread that was unrelated and asked the question it would have been fine, or if the question was genuine she could have sent it in a PM (which she has done in the past). But within the context of the thread I (and others clearly) took the post in an unintended way.

I've seen plenty of "baiting and inflammatory" conduct in other threads, especially when peeps are talking politics.  If anything I though mama was trying to be cute.  She certainly didn't call anyone an asshole and I certainly didn't expect you to respond to her and say that she could.  I think a suspension (and a lengthy one at that) was harsh given the circumstances.  I personally think it would have been appropriate for you to respond to her and say that she couldn't call anyone an a$$hole and suggest that the posters in that thread tone it down.  In any event, I don't envy your position but I hope you find the discussion helpful.   

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2008, 01:23:58 PM »
An interesting thing about banning (or suspension) is that those suspended have no place to argue.  They've been silenced.  MommaMac has a minion of supporters here to defend her. But we haven't heard from her. What about those who are suspended (or banned) and no one knows a) that they're suspended b) why they're suspended. 

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »
In the past we have decided to not post who has been suspended and who hasn't. This was at the request of several people who had been suspended but didn't like that it was public. If public opinion has shifted and it now is seen a better to know who is suspended publicly we could evaluate that again. There's pros and cons to each I realize.

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2008, 02:01:18 PM »
MommaMac has a minion of supporters here to defend her.

I hope you meant to say million and not "minion".....cause I for one am nobodys mininon!

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 02:16:46 PM »
I hope you meant to say million and not "minion".....cause I for one am nobodys mininon!

She meant minyan.  We're gonna pray.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2008, 02:18:32 PM »
She meant minyan.  We're gonna pray.

OY!  It's not that serious!  :-o

Offline Yaxpac

• Mayor
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2008, 02:24:24 PM »
I think you can get a time out for suggesting that a member be thrown in the East River.  I'm assuming this is what the suspension was for -

kind of funny that when I read the post I wondered "what is a Rendo?" and "what good would it do to throw one in the river?"   Then I had an AH HA moment.

:-)

i need to have this said AH HA moment...can you clue me in to "what is a Rendo?"

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
An interesting thing about banning (or suspension) is that those suspended have no place to argue.  They've been silenced.  MommaMac has a minion of supporters here to defend her. But we haven't heard from her. What about those who are suspended (or banned) and no one knows a) that they're suspended b) why they're suspended. 

You assume that you have a right to know her business, or anyone else's business who got banned.  I also thought anyone could email merm if they wanted to, to discuss whatever? 

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »
You assume that you have a right to know her business, or anyone else's business who got banned.  I also thought anyone could email merm if they wanted to, to discuss whatever? 

It's not that I want to know someone else's business.  It's that those who were banned have a right to be heard by their friends. 

PULLED PORK for one - would like everyone to know that he was banned for a month. 

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2008, 05:26:05 PM »
It's not that I want to know someone else's business.  It's that those who were banned have a right to be heard by their friends. 

Can't he email his friends?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life