relax

Author Topic: pick-up soccer in the park!  (Read 7724 times)

Offline NYCGoalie

• Council Member
Re: pick-up soccer in the park!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 01:41:01 PM »
See, it's replies like this that piss me off. When you don't see the whole picture and understand exactly what I'm talking about and know that Astoria Park is NOT a sports facility, then you make comments like you just did.
While I do - to an extent - apologize for offending on my most sarcastic of post...I do get where you're comming from BD.

It's not that I'm not aware that it takes a lot to maintain a public park.  It's not that I don't realize that we need some greenery....given that we live in a neighborhood where trees are getting town down on a daily basis and legislation had to be passed just to prevent homeowners from putting concrete over the grass in front thier houses in order to put a driveway.  I get it.  Honest, I do.

But I do admit, I've never been a fan of just "lounging around" in a park.  Granted, I understand some people just want to lie down on a blanket, read a book and not want to be bothered.  It's just not my cup of tea.  But even though I may not want to do that, I respect the fact that others may want to.

That being said, I don't think it's fair to have people who merely want to play a sport to become ostricized.  I remember some of my fondest memories growing up is playing catch with my dad, pick up baseball games at the park (in the oval of the running track when it was setup for baseball) and tackle football there in the wintertime after a huge snowstorm (try passing a wet ball with ski gloves on).  These are simple things which I know every kid I grew up with did in Astoria.  Looking back, it was really very cool and others shouldn't be denied this.

And now with Guitar Hero, Blu-Ray and video-on-demand, I don't see that many kids out anymore.  There's no real incentive anymore.  Matter of fact, this country has a huge epidemic of obesity...both in children and adults.  This is in part because people just don't go out and "play" anymore.  This is a serious health issue, for everyone.  So more outlets for play should be encouraged, not discouraged.

So here is a girl who says "hey, let's get together, kick the ball around and just have some fun", in of all places, a park.  But now this is a no-no because this activity somehow impedes on other people perception of what the park should offer people.  It shouldn't be a place to congregate and play...it should be a peaceul sanctuary with tall blades of grass and little outside noise.

I just feel that there should be a middle ground.  No, the people playing sports should not impede on those who just want to rest.  But those who just want to rest shouldn't turn thier backs on the need to have an outlet for those who want to play sports.  And it does not seem unreasonable to expect that people should play in a park, when in fact, that's one of the reasons it's there to begin with.

That's why I was sarcastic.  The intent was not to offend.  It was meant to say "let's look at this thing the other way".  Sorry, I've obviously listened to too many episodes of "Politically Incorrect" and "The Daily Show".

BigBryan

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 02:30:01 PM »
I appreciated your sarcastic sense of humour, so it didn't piss me off.

But seriously no one is ostracizing anyone who wants to play sport. Just do it on the designated fields (with a permit if neccessary) and follow the rules.

Just a few years ago - when the Track became a dust bowel (Literally) that whole half of the park was unusable and unfit for human life. The entire field was all dust and it blew around everywhere and would get in your lungs.

Look up the definition of a dust bowel.  Believe me if we had one summer of  "pick up soccer games" in the park that would do it.

I'm suprised that all the young otherwise environmentally educated people here don't see this - or argue the point when they are informed.

Offline mcgowan

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »
I understand you are trying to protect the grass and prevent the dreaded dustbowl effect that has happened before, but tell me, do you let your dog run off leash through the grass after it rains (during off leash hours of course)?  Do you let your dog continue to play with other dogs in the same part of a field?  Does your dog chase Birds, Squirrels or other parks creatures?  Do you let your dog drink from the fountain?  Have you ever walked your dog through the play ground between the pool and the river?

These are all things that parks asks you not to do (http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_things_to_do/facilities/af_dog_runs.html), yet when I am out with my puppy I see happening all the time.

Yes I understand that the grass is fragile, but there are large open spaces and people, who are not violating any rules of the park, want to enjoy the park the way they want to.  I’ve seen signs by the parks department in small parks down by my offices, asking people not to lay out blankets on the grass because it can kill the grass, yet people seem to have no problem with people laying out a blanket all day on the grass, stopping it from getting needed sunlight.  I see people driving/parking on the grass to set up things for their event (like a concert last week).  Unless people want to turn all of the grass into an off-limits area, or out-law any type of activity on the grass, then maybe people should concentrate their efforts on getting more fields developed for people to play soccer/sports that are made of Astroturf.
-Chris

Offline krocker

• Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »
I think there's a difference between a couple of people kicking around a soccer ball for fun and a whole "team" of people who are playing a serious game of soccer for hours on end.  It was hard to tell from the OP which one of these categories she fell into but it sounded more like the latter which is why there's some objection.  I don't think anyone here is against people using the grass for recreation like frisbee or playing catch or dogs playing, etc. - but using it as a "sports field" for real, full length games is a whole other thing.  That will do damage to the park if it's done with any frequency. 

lobber

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 03:50:31 PM »
See, it's replies like this that piss me off. When you don't see the whole picture and understand exactly what I'm talking about and know that Astoria Park is NOT a sports facility, then you make comments like you just did. The park is maintained, you may not think so, since there tends to be a lot of litter, but don't blame the maintenance workers, blame the citizens of Astoria or whomever uses the park for not taking out what they take into the park. The workers who maintain Astoria Park also do maintenance at approximately 20 other parks in Western Queens. I bet you didn't know that. So they can't be around 24/7 to keep tabs on people littering, that's why you will see me, almost on a daily basis, picking up what other, more insensitive people, have left behind. The issue of not playing isn't that we are against soccer or football or rugby, it's just the fields get torn up, and it is a real shame, cause I'm sure you'd rather go and lay in the sun on a grassy field rather than a dust-bowl. I know I would. And I will tell you this. I have noticed that in the last week or so, the area at the top of the great lawn has almost doubled in size. And the bare patch north of the Hell Gate bridge? Well, that started to heal itself, but last Saturday I noticed another bare patch starting to form. And today it was 3 times as large as it was then.

So to those who will answer me sarcastically, or think that I am off my rocker, or neg nod me or what have you. Go ahead, make jokes. But don't come running to me when there is no damned lawn left to speak of. Because then all I will have to say is: i TOLD YOU SO.

Lighten up francis  (hey I should put that in the movie quotes too  -- any guesses?)

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »
Lighten up francis  (hey I should put that in the movie quotes too  -- any guesses?)

Whatever, but it IS our park. And I should think people cared about it. I guess they don't.
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Offline pineapple

• Senator
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 06:13:29 PM »
I would love to play pick-up soccer, but, alas, I've never actually played the sport.  It sure seems like fun.  I mean everywhere, all over the globe, in parks, dirt lots, and just about anywhere folks are playing soccer. 

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 10:56:30 AM »
This has been a really interesting thread.  I've always wondered why the grass is so sparse in certain areas of Astoria Park, especially at the top of the big open meadow where everyone lets their dogs run.  I wasn't sure but then had to assume it's become the official unofficial dog run.  In places like Central Park, an entire lawn will be roped off and seeds planted, so the grass can recover and the park look green again.  I haven't really seen that happen in Astoria Park too much.  I know the frisbee team plays there a lot and was told they actually were given the middle track field to play in this summer.  I saw video of the storm we had a few weeks ago and that area was a dust bowl.  I thought the sand came from the shot put area, but I wouldn't know.   Anyway, if there are designated areas for organized play and for lounging around and for an unofficial dog run, I think a good compromise could be reached.  Seems as if none of this is spelled out, and the Parks Alliance should address this if they haven't already.  It'd be nice if our park had its own staff so that rules against littering and such could be enforced.  I do like that park but some of it is clearly an eyesore and should be rehabilitated so the grass can grow back.  If for no other reason than dirt is pretty ugly.  And dirty.

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 12:01:12 PM »
Daisy, if a dog run were to be established in Astoria Park then our dogs would lose their off leash privileges in the park. The bare patches were not caused by the dogs being off leash, since we walk in all the grassy areas of the park with them. You mentioned Central Park having bare patches roped off and seeded. Well  Central Park and Prospect Park get more money since they both have conservancies, which Astoria Park doesn't. We are only able to get basic maintenance. Perhaps one day after the Astoria Park Alliance has grown and we are able to raise the funds, then perhaps our park will be able to afford these luxuries that Central Park and Prospect Park has. Until then, we all have to work together to try and make our park accessible to all, and to understand the limitations set by the Parks Department on the fields of Astoria Park.
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »
I wasn't trying to say we shouldn't work together, or that dogs should lose their off lease privileges.  I was just making some observations about the park, and that I actually agree organized sports should be in designated areas.  I don't know much about the Park Alliance but assume they are a community organization that can help us all work together to make the park better, and there's no harm in setting goals for what we'd like our park to become.

Offline jackinthebox

• Activist
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 12:26:16 PM »
hi!
I play on a women's soccer team based here in astoria. sadly our season has ended until the fall, so while we will no longer be having organized practices, we will still be playing thoughout the summer.

we wanted to throw an invite out to anyone, male or female that would be interested in playing.
tuesday nights at 7pm in astoria park. we usually meet by the benches south of the hellsgate. if the group gets big enough we will have to migrate to a new spot! hope to see lots of you there.

do you guys still get together on tuesday nights?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life