relax

Author Topic: Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge  (Read 3226 times)

BigBryan

Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge
« on: May 16, 2008, 02:42:13 PM »
I've never been though altho I drove passed it a million times to the Rockaways. Has anyone ever been ?

I'm thinking it would be a nice nature walk when the weather clears, maybe the weekend of 5/24 ? Anyone interested ?

BigBryan

Re: Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »
I checked it out and it is a beautiful peaceful nature walk -a nice 1 hour hike lots of birds and ducks. Highly recommend it. Will do it again as a pre-beach activity

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:57:51 PM »
The idea is attractive to me in a lot of ways, but it seems so far away.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

BigBryan

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »
It is just the place for a Goldfish boy to find quiet.

If I make the trek again I will pm you but sometimes I'm spur of the moment. At this time of year - I'll more likely go straight to Rockaways

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
I was there back in the days when the Concord was still flying. 
1.  The Wildlife Refuge really is a beautiful area.
2.  The Concord really was loud.

Please go again, soon, and take me!  It's a difficult place to get to by public transportation.

Offline duska3419

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 11:03:11 PM »
is there like a (safe) parking lot and then you can get out and walk around ?

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 12:17:30 AM »
is there like a (safe) parking lot and then you can get out and walk around ?

Yes.  There is a large parking lot, a welcome center, and walking trails (which are level, graded, and not particularly long, but they make a delightful afternoon stroll).  It's part of the Gateway National Recreation Area, so it falls under the auspices of the National Park Service.  The National Park Service website for Gateway is cumbersome and not particularly helpful, but you can get a lot of other information from google, including the Brooklyn Bird Club's page on Jamaica Bay, with rough maps (look specifically at the West Pond map - you will see the parking area on the lower right of the map, next to the visitor center).  Very limited information here.  Other information here and in linked search.

Offline Pulled pork

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 07:48:34 AM »
We went last year. Had never been before and have to say that it was a beauty of a park. Nature and wildlife everywhere. I think it's what the wetlands around NY looked like 200 yrs ago. You get to walk on paths skirting inlets, marsh and bays. As you walk around one bend you see geese flying overhead, tall grasses ringing the inlet and then off in the distance the gleaming top of the Empire State building off in the distance.  The place is serene and awesome.  Very safe, good parking in a lot and not that far away (by car on an off time).

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life