relax

Author Topic: Site loading problems  (Read 7290 times)

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
Re: Site loading problems
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 11:18:22 AM »
Has it only been since the ad experimentation began?  Even if it started a bit before that, try clearing your cache and then reloading the site.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »
Has it only been since the ad experimentation began?  Even if it started a bit before that, try clearing your cache and then reloading the site.

Will do. It's not a terrible problem, it's just choppy and such.

Offline Pulled pork

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 11:23:25 AM »

OK, tried that. Still same problem.  Most often when I am in an email telling me someone has posted to a topic. It is when I click on the link that I have the most problems with loading cleanly.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
I'm on a Mac and I tried to replicate the problem with a few browsers (Firefox, Safari, Navigator, Flock, OmniWeb, Camino and Shiira) without signing on. Not once did I have any problem either loading the site or any particular thread.

For those on Macs, I would suggest the following:
1) Empty browser cache
2) Restart on Mac OS X disc (hold down the letter "C" while it is restarting.
3) Run Disk Utility—both repair disk and repair permissions
4) Restart and see if it still happens

Good luck.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline masande

• Activist
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 02:11:21 PM »
with all due respect, i think running disk utility is a little overkill. the choppiness exists right where the google ads are placed in the middle of the topic (see attachment for screen grab). it's worse when i select a 'new' link and am scrolled to an named anchor (sorry for the web jargon). this display issue has been going on for a couple of weeks and i have a sinking suspicion that it's related to the javascript that places the ads.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bookgirl83

• Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 03:29:03 PM »
the same thing keeps happening to me... only on this site. i'm on a mac with firefox as well.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 04:34:31 PM »
Okay. I am going to say it if no-one else will. The requested annual donation to this forum is $12.00 a year. That's what? Three Starbucks coffees. Or three special teas? It's probably one night of ordering out instead of cooking at home. Two drinks at the local pub? For all the information obtained on this site about our neighborhood, for all the friendships already and yet to be made, for being part of something that no other neighborhood in NYC has . . . isn't it worth $12 to avoid the advertising that helps support the server that keeps this place here anytime you want it? At the bottom of each page is the link to Become a Supporter. Go ahead. Click on it.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Pulled pork

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 06:03:48 PM »
Okay. I am going to say it if no-one else will. The requested annual donation to this forum is $12.00 a year. That's what? Three Starbucks coffees. Or three special teas? It's probably one night of ordering out instead of cooking at home. Two drinks at the local pub? For all the information obtained on this site about our neighborhood, for all the friendships already and yet to be made, for being part of something that no other neighborhood in NYC has . . . isn't it worth $12 to avoid the advertising that helps support the server that keeps this place here anytime you want it? At the bottom of each page is the link to Become a Supporter. Go ahead. Click on it.

As true as that might be, still no reason for loading issues.  That means "Don't pay and you get broken site". Not right.  Not saying I wont donate again.   And Masande explained the problem perfectly, thank you very much.

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 07:51:57 PM »

AMEN! Oh, and I said that earlier in this thread. $12 is also one crossing of the Verrazano Bridge and two coffees from a bodega.
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »
The server has been having some issues as well lately (disappearing posts). Once we are sure we have those issues resolved I'll try to figure out why some of you are having loading problems. I'm not sure why it's slow for some and not for others. I myself see the ads and I'm not finding that the page loads stall on the ads.

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »
has anyone figured out what the problem is?

i am still experiencing the "choppiness" problem, and it's quite frustrating.

reloading the page doesn't work, and i'm always resetting my firefox, so i know that's not a good fix.

Offline erpotown

• Mayor
  • Hello
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 09:31:11 PM »
Mac and Firefox here and I am still having the same issues.

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 09:28:08 PM »
maybe i'm jinxing myself here, but i just downloaded firefox 3 and my scrolling problem on this site seems to be solved now.

hmmm?

if it changes, i'll let you know....but so far so good (fingers crossed). 

Offline masande

• Activist
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 01:13:23 PM »
maybe i'm jinxing myself here, but i just downloaded firefox 3 and my scrolling problem on this site seems to be solved now.

hmmm?

if it changes, i'll let you know....but so far so good (fingers crossed). 

same with me. they completely rewrote the javascript engine for firefox3 and it looks like this resolves the problem.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 09:13:48 PM »
cogent seems to be having problems with their "tubes" today. So if the site is running slow don't worry, it's not the server. The dump trucks can't get through because the tubes are clogged in the middle.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life