relax

Author Topic: Hair salons, Astoria or Manhattan  (Read 16238 times)

Offline Mer

• Mayor
Re: Hair salons, Astoria or Manhattan
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 10:18:01 AM »
I second Athena at STUDIO 31 /718.545.2342
3207 31st Avenue, Astoria

My hair is an important component of my image; I am in theatre.
I actually stopped someone in SAKS to ask who does her hair.  Her highlights were multi-dimensional with a bold enough blond that demanded attention. 

This is what every woman dreams of having, but unfortunately settles for the ho-hum highlights she gets in the hands of colorists who cover her root, serve her something to drink and distract her for the next hour with chit chat about her life.  She walks out feeling cared for, gladly pays for her service, but never gets to feel that special oomph we all get when we know we rock!

If I had not stopped that woman in SAKS I would have never found Athena.  Athena does not advertise; she does not need more than the clients she gets by word of mouth alone!  Even though she works by appointment only, the three days she services her  :rock:following are the days we would most likely want to get serviced > Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. 

I felt I was in the hands of a first class colorist.  She made sure I expressed exactly what outcome I wanted and proceeded with very little chit chat and a whole lot of focus to give me the most outrageous highlights I have ever had!!!  I'm the one who wanted to find out more about her.  Athena was obviously very well spoken and apparently well educated. 

Her own hair and overall appearance spoke volumes about her.  It took me many polite questions to find out she was also a graphic artist with a Masters degree!  HeLLLLoooo!!! No wonder her highlights come out like art on canvas!  She basically told me she gave up other career choices because she acquired a passion for the hair industry from the time she operated a salon on the C. W. Post campus while getting her degrees.  WOW!  Need I say more?  Now go find another colorist with more talent and savvy!  I dare you!     

I've recommended Athena on here a few times now, but the last time I went in I asked her if she was taking new clients.  Apparently, she's not, but I think she'd take a referral. 

I don't have much experience with her coloring since I'm a natural blonde, but she did dye my very light eyebrows a darker shade for me once.  I was really apprehensive about it, but she did wonders with them.  She just darkened them enough that they popped a little while still looking natural. 

Anyway, I always enjoy going to her and if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll give you my name to give to her.

Offline JennyB.

• Resident
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2009, 02:41:21 PM »
I had my hair done at Saloon with Stacy and she is the BEST!!!  I am so thrilled I already made my next appointment with her.....She fixed up my color and gave me a great cut!! I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »
I was just about to post about my great experience a couple weeks back at Saloon. This was my first time getting my hair cut in Astoria because I've had so many bad haircuts that I just kept going back to the salon I like back at home in Connecticut. Anyway, so I called Saloon in desperation because it was a really hot day and my hair had gotten really long, and they scheduled me that afternoon with Alyssa. I love the cut she gave me. She frowned upon my self-dyed hair and told me I should get my hair cut more often (which I agree with, but that doesn't mean I will), but I've never gotten so many compliments on my hair as I have since getting this cut. My hair is very fine, curly and wavy, and it's just hard to get it to look good. With this cut I can just put some of my usual hair crap in it and it air dries with a nice shape. And it only cost $36. I was told over the phone that it would cost $45 and up for a cut and blow dry, but I opted for no blow dry, and so yeah. Very happy and will go back. Thanks Marlena/MFells for the recommendation!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 05:58:40 PM by essen »

Offline MFells

• Activist
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »
Hi Jenny B. I know you will have great results with Stacy. I went to her today and LOVE my hair. She does amazing work. :)

Offline MFells

• Activist
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2009, 09:55:17 PM »
What time did you go? I was also there today!!! :)

Offline janelane

• Activist
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 03:41:36 PM »
There is a great hair salon on 34th ave and 38th street in Astoria.  I don't know why I can't think of the name.  I go there.  I go to Linda.  I always get compliments on my hair.
"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others." - Christian D. Larson

Offline goldfish

• Activist
    • Sara V. Nagle, LMT
Hair salons participating in Locks of Love?
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2009, 08:10:49 PM »
Does anyone know of a salon that participates in Locks of Love?

Offline elenik

• Tourist
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2009, 04:31:54 PM »
I would greatly recommend Shear Bliss Hair Salon in Manhattan and ask for Lace. I have been going to this salon for years. It is located on 3rd Avenue between
28th and 29th Street in Manhattan. She does it all! Her specialty is hair color; highlights, lowlights, full color and touch ups. She gives fantastic haircuts
and even does the new Japanese hair straightening. She has tons of experience and most importantly LISTENS to you. She is very pleasant, and I would follow
her to the end of the earth to get my hair done. It is SO hard to find an excellent hairdresser. As I read some of you are in theater; I am as well and my appearance is extremely important in my profession. I have full confidence in Lace and I suggest that you give her a try. Her prices are reasonable, even for
Manhattan, and the quality of her work is unsurpassed.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2009, 08:43:47 AM »
RE: Locks of Love

They have a website that you can check out. There are certain guidelines you have to follow, info on
volunteering, etc. that are on the site. No listing for salons, but they have a phone number on the site
that you can call. They're located in Florida.

Good luck.

Offline astoriafunlife

• Tourist
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2016, 01:57:39 PM »
Hi there!!!
Does anyone know where Stacy from Redken Saloon Salon works now? She left Redken (30th ave) a couple years ago and I can't find a hairstylist that was as good as her, it has been almost a disaster having others cut my hair :(. I was hoping some of you got to have her contact information and follow her into her new salon. :( Thanks so much!

Offline jrae

• Tourist
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2017, 01:03:42 PM »
I have another "where'd my stylist go?" query.

Does anyone know Dan from Gigi Salon? He left over a year ago, apparently...

Trying to figure out his last name, if he's still in the city, or where he may have gone to! He did such an amazing job with my ombre highlights and cut.

Any help you can offer at all is appreciated.

Thanks!
-Jen

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life