relax

Author Topic: Hair salons, Astoria or Manhattan  (Read 16308 times)

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
Re: Hair salons, Astoria or Manhattan
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 10:43:28 PM »
Lanseaux, the SPAce website lists their cut/style at $40, do you think you get that price because you've been going for a while? Anyone in particular that you stick to? (you can pm me)

Hmm.  Just checked it the website -- I don't know.  I don't think it's because I've been going there for awhile; I don't get my hair cut often enough to be considered a "good customer" (I get my hair cut every 6-9 months).  They may have raised their rates.  I was also wondering if it's that they have the cut+style price online, but will charge you only $25 if you don't get the blowdry?  But I see they have an additional charge on top of the $40 for "hairdressing+blowdry".  I'd suggest you call them and ask, because it's not clear to me.

There was one stylist I was using for awhile, but she moved to Las Vegas.  I can't remember the name of the stylist I use now -- maybe Nicki?  She's been pretty good.

Offline StarsForSydell

• Resident
    • Stars For Sydell- Handmade jewelry by me!
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 08:11:47 PM »
I recently went to SPAce for the first time.  I called on a Friday and was able to come in the same day.  I did it pretty blindly because I was desperate.  I was scheduled with Manny, and when I got in he was styling an older woman's hair (the short, poofy style popular with older senior citizens) and I felt uneasy since I was asking for a very young and untraditional cut.

Anywho I went ahead with it, and he made my hair look super duper freaking awesome.  I was so incredibly happy with my cut, and its been over a month and it still looks great.  I paid $35 for just the cut- since I live down the block and I normally restyle myself I skipped on the blowdry-it was a bit pricey for that add-on.

They were also really nice at SPAce.  I'll definitely go back- perhaps even for my wedding.

eta: my hair is shoulder length, pretty thick, and very wavy.

Offline Kiki526

• Citizen
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »
I have long thick wavy hair and just got my haircut with stacy who colored- highlighted and cut my hair. She did an amazing job I highly recommend her. She is very friendly and listens to what you want. You also get an astorians discount with her too! I love my new 'do'!
I apologize in advance! I never spell/grammar check....

Offline artgirl

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 01:38:37 PM »
There was one stylist I was using for awhile, but she moved to Las Vegas.

Are you talking about Jean? I used to always have her cut my hair, but the last time I made an appt. at SPAce, they told me she had moved. So I just asked for whoever was available at the time I wanted to go, and ended up with Rudi, who was fantastic. I'm due for a haircut soon, so I'll definitely go back to her. Last I knew, she's there Fridays thru Sundays.

Offline domenica

• Citizen
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 05:38:08 PM »
I've seen all the above recs and wondering which ones are good for edgy short hairstyles for thicker hair. If its not cut right, the hair is always too thick at the bottom and looks really ridiculous on a short haircut or look very senior citizen. I'm so sick of getting a terrible cut and paying so much money for it. I've gone to a few of the places above and was very dissapointed.

Offline LoveSTL

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 07:47:27 PM »
I went to Saloon this past week and was pretty disappointed in the whole experience I had with Selvi....1st the cut was $80. And I've been to Saloon before and paid like $50 and received a much better cut. I guess you would consider my hair long but still $80 in Astoria is alittle high. 2nd, I feel she would not listen to what I wanted. I wanted like 2-3 inches off...it's been like 4-5 months since my last cut and I wanted some length cut off. She insisted that it wasn't the length that was unhealthy it was the hair that was exposed in the sun....ok yes I  agree with the sun exposure but I wanted some length off. 3rd she cut my hair dry...I just don't like that. 4th it's been like 2 days and I feel like I need another cut but after spending about $100 I can't really afford it.

I would go back to Saloon but I would not recommend Selvi.

Offline kster

• Resident
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 02:20:52 PM »
I've been going to SPAce for over a year now and I get my hair cut by Nicki who does an amazing job with my short hair.  The first time I went to her she listened carefully and gave me a fantastic short cut (I previously had long hair) that grows out nicely so I don't have to go every 4 weeks like the last time I had short hair. 

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 03:28:32 PM »
Are you talking about Jean?

Yes, Jean is the one who moved to Las Vegas.

I got my hair cut by Adela last week and I was really pleased.  She discussed the different hair textures I have (pretty straight on top, but quite wavy underneath) and how best to cut it so the different textures/layers would fall right.  She did a good job.

shayne1

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 09:46:35 PM »
I didn't want to be obnoxious and start a new thread, but does anyone know of any queer-friendly hair salons?  I went to SPAce on Ditmars and while I didn't mind my haircut, it was very clear that the person cutting my hair had no idea what to do with me, or my very short, androgynous-style haircut. 
I know this is kind of an odd question, but ideally I'd like to find a reasonably priced hair salon that knows how to handle queer clientele. Help?

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2008, 09:11:07 PM »
I didn't want to be obnoxious and start a new thread, but does anyone know of any queer-friendly hair salons?  I went to SPAce on Ditmars and while I didn't mind my haircut, it was very clear that the person cutting my hair had no idea what to do with me, or my very short, androgynous-style haircut. 
I know this is kind of an odd question, but ideally I'd like to find a reasonably priced hair salon that knows how to handle queer clientele. Help?

Is short queer hair very different to cut than short straight hair?  I know that curly can be an issue. 

Offline MFells

• Activist
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »
Thanks to all of your great reviews on Saloon, I made an appointment for tomorrow with Stacy!

Masterson

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 01:57:25 AM »
I second Athena at STUDIO 31 /718.545.2342
3207 31st Avenue, Astoria

My hair is an important component of my image; I am in theatre.
I actually stopped someone in SAKS to ask who does her hair.  Her highlights were multi-dimensional with a bold enough blond that demanded attention. 

This is what every woman dreams of having, but unfortunately settles for the ho-hum highlights she gets in the hands of colorists who cover her root, serve her something to drink and distract her for the next hour with chit chat about her life.  She walks out feeling cared for, gladly pays for her service, but never gets to feel that special oomph we all get when we know we rock!

If I had not stopped that woman in SAKS I would have never found Athena.  Athena does not advertise; she does not need more than the clients she gets by word of mouth alone!  Even though she works by appointment only, the three days she services her  :rock:following are the days we would most likely want to get serviced > Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. 

I felt I was in the hands of a first class colorist.  She made sure I expressed exactly what outcome I wanted and proceeded with very little chit chat and a whole lot of focus to give me the most outrageous highlights I have ever had!!!  I'm the one who wanted to find out more about her.  Athena was obviously very well spoken and apparently well educated. 

Her own hair and overall appearance spoke volumes about her.  It took me many polite questions to find out she was also a graphic artist with a Masters degree!  HeLLLLoooo!!! No wonder her highlights come out like art on canvas!  She basically told me she gave up other career choices because she acquired a passion for the hair industry from the time she operated a salon on the C. W. Post campus while getting her degrees.  WOW!  Need I say more?  Now go find another colorist with more talent and savvy!  I dare you!     

Offline LIC Kids

• Citizen
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »
Kids and adults haircuts available in LIC Kids on Sundays. We are great!
718-392-5437

fourpounds

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 06:23:45 PM »
Lift Hair Studio on 24th Avenue at 27th st.

Offline JennyB.

• Resident
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 09:39:56 AM »
Hi guys,

I have an appt. with Stacy at Saloon for Sat & I'm so excited...i just got really bad highlights & i'm afraid of going back to the same place, I hope Stacy can fix me up & that all my  hair doesn't fall out in the process with all this dye in it...lol

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life