relax

Author Topic: Hair salons, Astoria or Manhattan  (Read 16255 times)

Offline the_chuck

• Resident
Re: Hair salons, Astoria or Manhattan
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »
I went to Saloon today (30th ave and 36th st) and got my hair cut with Frank. I'm a guy so it didn't cost me nearly as much as it might for other people, but he did a great job and was really friendly. And he gave me a bit of a discount 'cause I'm a member here. So thumbs up to Saloon!
- chuck.

Offline Frumpy Duck

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 03:46:18 PM »
"I LOVE Studio 31 on 31st Ave. btw 32nd and 33rd streets"

Ok, but stay away from Vaso, one of their stylists.  I got my haircut there once or twice by someone else, and she did a decent job.  One day I went to find out that this lady didn't work there any longer and so the owner convinced me that VASO would give me "the perfect haircut" and she "guaranteed" me I wouldn't be disappointed.  So I went for it.  As it happened, there was another woman in the shop who has the EXACT haircut I wanted--my same type of hair and everthing--and Vaso had actually given her the cut.  I couldn't have been more clear: "This is the haircut I want.  Give me exactly what you gave her."  Well, Vaso must have put a blindfold on when I wasn't looking because my hair looked NOTHING like what I asked for.  I seriously came out looking like a Euro-punk chick with a short, a-symmetrical, layered, spikey 'do.  Oy vey. 

Offline dakota

• Activist
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 09:08:44 AM »
"I LOVE Studio 31 on 31st Ave. btw 32nd and 33rd streets"

who cuts your hair there? I'm just looking for a bang trim (short, choppy, pixie) and my stylist in Manhattan only does full cuts - no bangs (!!!).
suggestions?
"new york's the greatest if you get someone to pay the rent"

Offline edava

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 12:03:46 PM »
For those that have gone to Studio 31, do you know if Jen is still there? I haven't been in a while, but I liked the cuts she gave me.

Offline kerrigankrewe

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »
My husband and I just tried out Saloon. It was very reasonable ($70ish) for a men's and women's cut. Helen did an awesome job on my husband's hair: He often has to tell stylists to give him a little boy hair cut just so they don't mess it up. I sat with Stacy and my hair looks better than it has in months. I definitely recommend Saloon!

Offline shanndc

• Tourist
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »
Saloon is great!  Selvi did a great correction cut. 

Offline karjean

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »
Saloon is great!  Selvi did a great correction cut. 

Selvi is at Saloon now?  Wow..I've been looking for her ever since she left Lift.
She did a great job on my color.
I also like Frank...used to go to him all the time.

Offline edava

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 01:01:05 PM »
I want to spend between $25 and $35 for a haircut. Please tell me this is not impossible. (And I don't want to go to Giorgio's.)  I've given up on Astoria since I can't find one without attitude or price. (Last time I went I had a specific appointment time and I waited 30 minutes before I was seated and then only when they were ready to go with me, they asked if I needed a wash by a girl who just sat there reading a magazine while I waited. WTF!!!?) I'm willing to travel to the Village/elsewhere. Where do you go that you're consistently happy with?

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »
My sister loves her hairstylist - though I think it costs her $40.  In Bridgeport!!

Sorry - I don't know of any place around here that is so inexpensive AND reliable.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 09:33:30 AM »
I don't either. I pay $130 in the city and I've been with my stylist for 10+ years.

I think the only way to get a price like that is at some of the salons
in Manhattan that offer student cuts on certain evenings. I know that Aveda, Bumble + Bumble,
and Ted Gibson have student nights. Usually a senior stylist will supervise a junior or apprentice
and the fee is a lot lower. However, sometimes the catch is that you have to be willing to do
what they want. For instance, if the apprentice is training in how to do a short, layered style, that's
what you'll get.

Here's a link from CitySearch.com for affordable cuts in the New York area:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/bestof/winners/affordable_haircut

Offline AstoriaMommy06

• Citizen
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 10:56:56 AM »
Have you tried Salon Space on Ditmars? I adore it there! Edna is my hairdresser and she is fabulous! She actually listens when you say how much you want cut. I had another hair dresser at a different salon ruin my haircut, I went to Edna and she fixed it perfectly! Plus, a hair cut and blow out is about $45! I used to have really really long hair, past my chest, and a hair cut and full highlights was under $100!

# is 718-726-3911

I second Edan at SPAce.  Been going to her for years.  She does good coloring also.  Also if you have long curly hair she can do you do too.

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »
Has anyone ever tried the Beauty School on Broadway and Steinway? I've never tried it but I used to go to a training salon all the time (not in NY) but usually the students already had years of experience and were training up for a higher level salon.

I always figure that if a student messes up, an instructor will come over and fix it.  However - I hesitate b/c my idea of beauty doesn't seem to be the standard QUEENS idea of beauty. 

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 11:23:20 AM »
I want to spend between $25 and $35 for a haircut. Please tell me this is not impossible.

I've been going to SPAce for several years and they charge me $25 for a basic cut (I think drying adds $10).  Leaving aside the curly hair issue for now, since neither you nor I have curly hair (although I have an underlying waviness that makes my hair tricky to cut, and if a hairdresser doesn't take that into consideration it ends up a mess), I think they do a great job.  So yes, for me, SPAce has been both inexpensive and reliable.

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 10:49:46 AM »
I got a really good cut (with wash and blow dry) for $40 at Studio 34 on 34th ave btwn 42nd and 43rd. Mila (i think that was her name) was really nice, talked to me about some options and didn't pooh pooh my idea of having all over layers (though I am saving that for my next trip-putting my hair up with no layers in the summer is much easier). They're really small and only have a few folks. I went in with no appointment and basically just had to wait until she or the other guy were done with their current cuts. About 15-20 minutes. Not bad. Best part-didn't try to upsell me or sell me overpriced product. I hate that! And they didn't charge extra for a blow dry. Via Decour down the street wanted to charge me an extra 30 to dry my hair on top of the 30 for the cut. Eff that!
Oh only con, is they don't take credit. But they're fine with you running to the shop on the corner to use the atm there and come back.

Offline edava

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »
Lanseaux, the SPAce website lists their cut/style at $40, do you think you get that price because you've been going for a while? Anyone in particular that you stick to? (you can pm me) Yeh, I actually have an underlying waviness, too and my hair just becomes a bomb sometimes. I got a light perm one time in high school that was supposed to last 6 months and it lasted more than a year.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life