relax

Author Topic: Hair salons, Astoria or Manhattan  (Read 16241 times)

Offline felisfemina

• Citizen
Hair salons, Astoria or Manhattan
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:48:30 AM »
Hello all,

I know there have been other threads regarding salons but I've already tried a few in Astoria and haven't been satisfied yet.  I would like to find a stylist who knows what will work best for my hair.  I would love to hear some suggestions and I will happily go into the city for a haircut if you know of a good stylist.  I would like to keep the price under $100.

Thanks, everyone!

Astorianita11

Re: Hair salons, Astoria or Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »
I went to Saloon Hair Salon in Astoria a couple weeks ago and they did a great job with my hair. I think haircuts are from $60 and up.

Offline amsci

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:49:05 AM »
I second Saloon. They're on 30th ave btw 36 and 37th st.  I get my hair cut there by Frank... he's friendly and he gives a hell of a cut.

Offline MTW

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 10:50:56 AM »
I also go to Saloon Salon. Antoinette is great!  Since I have short hair, my cut comes to little over $40.

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »
I LOVE Studio 31 on 31st Ave. btw 32nd and 33rd streets.  My stylist, Athena, is the former owner (and landlord of the building), but still does business there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday (and maybe Sunday too, I forget).  She's the first stylist that I've stuck with.  And she's very reasonable as well (around $30 for my medium length hair). 

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 09:31:11 PM »
I've had several great haircuts from Space Salon on Ditmars. The haircuts for women are usually around $40-$50 +/-. But I feel like I'm repeating myself.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline felisfemina

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions!  I decided to give Saloon a try, I have an appointment with Frank this week.

saloon hairstylist

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 02:47:06 PM »
Thank you, astorians.com... for recommending us at Saloon !!!!!  Saloon also participates in  community services, such as Locks of Love, and The Kiwanis Club. Contact us for any community events...(718) 956-3366

Offline MFells

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 07:35:37 PM »
I still recommend SPAce too, though it can be pricey if you get dye, cut and blow dry- but its still my fav in astoria. I also tried GIGI's on 30th Ave but did not like the attitude in there or the prices.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 08:29:43 PM »
Thank you, astorians.com... for recommending us at Saloon !!!!!  Saloon also participates in  community services, such as Locks of Love, and The Kiwanis Club. Contact us for any community events...(718) 956-3366
What kind of discount are you offering to forum members?
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

saloon hairstylist

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »
At Saloon, all forum members will receive 10% off with senior stylists, and 20% discount with me Stacy ..... in Friday Saturday, and for your convenience Sunday... ask for me when you book your next appointment.... see  you at Saloon!!!! (718-956-3366)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 05:30:06 PM by saloon hairstylist »

afs

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 09:35:37 AM »
Have you tried Salon Space on Ditmars? I adore it there! Edna is my hairdresser and she is fabulous! She actually listens when you say how much you want cut. I had another hair dresser at a different salon ruin my haircut, I went to Edna and she fixed it perfectly! Plus, a hair cut and blow out is about $45! I used to have really really long hair, past my chest, and a hair cut and full highlights was under $100!

# is 718-726-3911

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 04:59:58 PM »
The stylists at Space don't know how to cut curls.  Saloon has a sign out front (or they used to) that basically says they'll FIX your curls (by straightening your hair).  I think it's unfortunate for curly tops that curly hair isn't "IN."  But I would love a salon around here that knows how to deal with curly hair.  I go to Devachan in the city - and plunk down around $85/cut + tip and products.... ugh.  Which is why i only treat myself 2x a year.

afs

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 11:43:12 PM »
The stylists at Space don't know how to cut curls.  Saloon has a sign out front (or they used to) that basically says they'll FIX your curls (by straightening your hair).  I think it's unfortunate for curly tops that curly hair isn't "IN."  But I would love a salon around here that knows how to deal with curly hair.  I go to Devachan in the city - and plunk down around $85/cut + tip and products.... ugh.  Which is why i only treat myself 2x a year.

That's not true. I have very curly hair and Edna at Space always does a great job with my hair. I had my hair cut at Ouidad, the fancy curly hair salon in the city, by Ouidad herself... just to see what the difference was. The difference was an overpaid hair cut! Edna at Space does a way better job on my curly hair--which is totally un-conformed and has a mind of its own!

cookiesncream

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 09:48:41 PM »
actually , there's one on broadway and 29th St. ..its for unisex i think..but mostly for man..i heard the store has been 80yrs history there...and the price is only 10 -20 bucks... why not...

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life