relax

Author Topic: Just signed up for Hellgate CSA and have a few questions...  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Threemoons

• Citizen
Just signed up for Hellgate CSA and have a few questions...
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:04:09 PM »
Well, folks, after 2 years of hemming and hawing and getting on the waitlist, the third time seems to be the charm--I'm IN IT for this year's Hellgate CSA!   :mrgreen:  I paid in full up front.

However, a few questions:

--Has anyone done the meat/dairy before?  I just emailed the good folks there to get my first userid/login for the site, but I just wanted to know about quality/price/etc.

--I did the whole nine yards--fruit, veg, herbs, basil, tomatoes.  Now, I know that the tomato drop is going to be humungus and I've already blocked out time with Mom upstate to make sauce.   :lol:  However, how big are the shares?  I am just me, but like lots of folks in Astoria I have a full-sized fridge and freezer and a functional stove.  But this makes me wonder...

--If I find that the amount of food is just too huge (I see this as an enforced way to eat more veggies/get healthy this summer), is there a way to solicit a split sharemate in-season?  I live literally two blocks from FreezePeach but I do work in Midtown (note:  I also see this as a legit way to get out of work at a reasonable hour one day a week all summer   :-D  ).

--Do you need to bring your own bag?

Thanks!  Hopefully I'll eat more veggies and fruit and generally get healthier this summer...thanks for any tips, tricks, etc.

Offline paratactical

• Governor
Re: Just signed up for Hellgate CSA and have a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 03:28:20 PM »
I live very close to Freeze Peach and have also been trying to get on the list. If you find you need a share mate mid-season, I think we could work something out.

Offline kungfoofool

• Mayor
  • mercenary web developer (pm me for info)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 03:36:38 PM »
I haven't done the meat/dairy before, can't help you there.

I split a share with another couple, and my wife and I have plenty to eat from the share. We don't, however, have a large freezer. If we did, I'd certainly go for the full share. Ditto if we had time & room for canning.

I would definitely bring your own bag. They provide re-used plastic bags onsite, but often there aren't enough and they request that people bring more to supplement the bag cache. I find bringing your own cloth bag is definitely the best and most accommodating solution.
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 05:08:38 PM »
The shares are a really good size.  Be prepared to weigh a lot of items - especially in August onward when the squash, beans, etc are in full force.  I actually found the shares (fruit and veggie) to be so large that I ended up giving away a lot of both even with two of us eating. Because of that I opted for only the fruit share this year so hopefully someone was able to get off the list and get that extra veggie share.

Also, volunteer early in the season before it gets too hot as it will make the time go by much more quickly!

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
--I did the whole nine yards--fruit, veg, herbs, basil, tomatoes.  Now, I know that the tomato drop is going to be humungus and I've already blocked out time with Mom upstate to make sauce.   :lol:  However, how big are the shares?  I am just me, but like lots of folks in Astoria I have a full-sized fridge and freezer and a functional stove.  But this makes me wonder...

It truly varies. Since you are getting everything I think that your shares will likely be above average in size, but like C-J says late summer is when you'll get a lot more food. You're looking at a lot of apples and peaches and beans and squash (making me hungry here!) and the list could go on.

--Do you need to bring your own bag?

You don't have to but it is recommended. The bags that they have at distro are all donated, so the availability of free bags is based upon the generosity of your fellow CSA members. We don't always bring our own bags, but we have done it on occasion.

Congratulations on finally joining. We have been members for the last two/three years and are so glad we joined. It's made a huge impact on our lives in the way of making us just more aware of where our food comes from. I hope you enjoy it!
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »
Don't know the answers to your other questions, though. Vegan, and when we joined it was mid-season but we just purchased a share for ourselves. We've never done a split.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline Threemoons

• Citizen
Thank you so much for all of your helpful suggestions!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:21:52 PM »
All,

Thanks so very much for all of your  help, suggestions, and encouragement! 

RE Bags--I have a ton of canvas totes at home; now I'll use em.

RE share size--let me see how much food I get vs how much I can cook/freeze/etc...

RE volunteer time--as my job is mega-nuts, I paid out my $50--it's going to take a Biblical-scale miracle for me to get out of work in time to pick up, nevermind leave early to set up, I but hope that by paying in full up front I have at least helped in some way

RE meat/dairy--got my info RE password/link/etc, thank you all!

Hopefully this is a great and fun way to kickstart my healthier eating regimen.  See you all this summer at Freeze Peach!

Offline luchamos

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 05:42:18 PM »
The meat and dairy ordering is awesome too! Even though I want to be a vegetarian when I grow up, I have to admit that the grass-fed beef is just so incredibly tasty i have dreams about it.  The only downside to doing the meat and dairy from the farm is that you will not want to buy stuff at Key Food ever again.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life