relax

Author Topic: Good date ideas.  (Read 12700 times)

Offline MagicPie

• Governor
  • Don't get scared. Get organized!
    • Unjumbler Professional Organizing
Good date ideas.
« on: April 27, 2008, 04:46:26 PM »
I'm not single, but I'm always thinking of good date ideas that aren't the standard dinner-and-a-movie date.  (The bf and I still have date night.)  I like to keep a list of creative things that are fun and make conversation easy.  And lately, I've been trying to come up with non-food based dates. 

I moonlight for a company that I think is a really good first or second date idea.  It's a company called Watson Adventures and they do scavenger hunts around the city.  You don't collect items, you answer questions and try to win against other teams.  I've worked for this company for a few months and I've seen a lot of couples on the public hunts.  It got me thinking that it would be a good first date because:

1) It's finite.  The hunts are either 1.5 or 2 hours so if the date sucks, there's a definite ending in sight.
2) You have to use teamwork so it puts the couple in a place where they are working together so you can see if you're compatible.  Also, you can see if your date is WAY too competitive against the other teams.
3) You can see if your date is a moron almost immediately.
4) The conversation flows because there is an activity that requires focus so you're never strapped for something to talk about.  You also learn fun and interesting things about the city, which leads to more conversation. 
5) It's fun and active but not strenuous.  No athletics required, which can be iffy on a first date.  You walk. 

http://www.watsonadventures.com/

(Since I know it's coming: Yes, I freelance for the company but my pay isn't affected by attendance so I'm not just advertising -- trust me, they don't need my advertising.  I think it's a fun/different date idea since I've seen couples on the hunts who look like they're having a really good time.)

Anyone have other interesting non-food based date night ideas?  I like dates that have a focus.  "Walk around Central Park" is a nice date idea but I'd rather something with a little more of a specific objective, you know? 

Offline erpotown

• Mayor
  • Hello
Re: Good date ideas.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »
When I was living on Long Island, I went a few mini-golf/batting cage dates. It was especially fun if you both sucked and you could laugh throughout the date. Guys were always impressed if I could actually hit the ball. (Slow-pitch softball)

Here is some local batting cage info:

* Astoria Sports Complex, 34-37 37th St (between 34th and 35th Aves), Astoria, NY, 718-729-7163
    * Batting cage hours: Mon–Fri 1–10 p.m.; Sat, Sun 11 a.m.–10 p.m.
    * Batting cage rental: $12/15min, $18/30min, $30/60min

BigBryan

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »
Randall's Island has an outdoor mini golf - gold swing and batting - never been - but mb this summer

Offline moodle

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:07:28 PM »
I moonlight for a company that I think is a really good first or second date idea.  It's a company called Watson Adventures and they do scavenger hunts around the city.

{this is off topic but}  POOH! I was going to start a company doing this very thing! I have been doing fun hunts for friends and boyfriends for many years and people keep telling me to do it as a biz. Does your company need any more "idea comer uppers?" (sp??)

:)

Offline moodle

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »
this is not a first date idea, you have to know a person's religious tolerances and how well they can bullshit - but I used to like to go  cult-infiltrating with dates. Yes I'm super geeky. I would just find an interesting looking religion/cult and attend a meeting. i'd ask questions about their beliefs and act like I was considering joining. Besides the obvious dogmatic intrigue, there's always great people-watching. Then there's great conversational fodder afterwards!

if possible on a first date, I like to ask my date if we can duck into a bookstore -  you get instant info about a person by the kind of books they gravitate towards...gives us something to talk about! "Oh! you like graphic novels! me too! oohh!"
or the reverse, if they say, "oh i don't read much," i know to wrap the date up early. :)

BigBryan

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
That's weird - cult infiltration - but somehow intrigueing - tell us more. :-o

Offline moodle

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 12:31:58 PM »
i guess "infiltration" is the wrong word. I would just go to a cult meeting and get more information. Then again, i hadn't found a cult that so intrigued me that I'd wanted to "get under the covers" of it more.

BigBryan

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 01:23:21 PM »
What cults and what did you find ? Were they open to you ? You brought dates on these "excursions" - what did they think ?

Enquiring minds want to know ...

Offline MagicPie

• Governor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 01:56:21 PM »
It's funny, I know people who have done this.  My friend went to a communist meeting out of raw curiosity.  And that's so something I would do.  Just to learn about other people.   

As far as Watson needing new idea comer uppers, I think they are good for now.  It is a great idea for a company and one that I also thought about a few years ago, since I love scavenger hunts.  And the guy who started it started it exactly the same way -- by doing it for friends and family who were visiting and looking for a way to get to know the city and have something fun to do.  It's a tight ship.  Really good people.  But yeah, during my interview, I was like, "THIS WAS MY IDEA!  I HAVE TO WORK HERE!!" 

Offline moodle

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 02:25:54 PM »
It's funny, I know people who have done this.  My friend went to a communist meeting out of raw curiosity.  And that's so something I would do.  Just to learn about other people.   

well my new friend, would you like to join me on my next cult-crashing excursion?

Offline HI575857

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 05:00:39 PM »

Unfortunately, some of the people I know in Astoria are in such quasi-spiritual/religious cults. I would hate to "crash" one just to run into someone I know. I did do it a couple times in college for fun.

There was a really well-organized cult in college that used frisbee to get members. They instructed their members to go out as a group and invite random people on the green to join their frisbee game, try to become friends with them and try to get them to go to their cool/hip/young "church" that does awesome stuff like play frisbee together.

Someone I know "fell" for it and went, the first time they singled her out as a new member at the "mass" and everyone clapped, blah blah, then the second time she went they singled her out at the "mass" and tried to pressure her to donate money. At which point she was smart enough to leave and gave up her new frisbee playing cult friends (who after the second mass the next time they saw her they once again tried to pressured her to donate money and asked her what was "wrong").

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »
There was a really well-organized cult in college that used frisbee to get members. They instructed their members to go out as a group and invite random people on the green to join their frisbee game, try to become friends with them and try to get them to go to their cool/hip/young "church" that does awesome stuff like play frisbee together.

Someone I know "fell" for it and went, the first time they singled her out as a new member at the "mass" and everyone clapped, blah blah, then the second time she went they singled her out at the "mass" and tried to pressure her to donate money. At which point she was smart enough to leave and gave up her new frisbee playing cult friends (who after the second mass the next time they saw her they once again tried to pressured her to donate money and asked her what was "wrong").

Yeah, I think you encountered the same cult that was on my campus.  One time I unknowingly went on a "date" with one of their members, who seemed a little too much into me.  When we got back to campus and got to her room, the other members suddenly showed up and tried to convince me to join.  I had to give her credit for how well it was set up.  I guess they work to perfect their method.

I got recruited by the Moonies in the Village.  Don't ever follow those kids with clipboards who want you to "take a survey" and then ask you to go their creepy offices on Broadway.  Hey, they had free food and I got to watch a movie!  They wanted me to join them at a retreat in northern NY.  I was supposed to leave immediately and not notify anybody!

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »
if possible on a first date, I like to ask my date if we can duck into a bookstore -  you get instant info about a person by the kind of books they gravitate towards...gives us something to talk about! "Oh! you like graphic novels! me too! oohh!"
or the reverse, if they say, "oh i don't read much," i know to wrap the date up early. :)

I came up with an idea like this a couple of dates before I met my hubby.  I was hanging out with a guy I was currently dating and pulled out the NYTimes Crossword (I think it was MONDAY).  Not only could he NOT answer any of the questions he couldn't even find the numbers.  Okay - maybe he had NO puzzle experience - but this dude was SLOW (I knew this ... but wasn't clear on HOW slow.... which I guess makes ME slow... different thread)

After this incident I wanted to make sure that any date could at least get through a Monday and hopefully a Tuesday and answer some if not most of a Wednesday.  So carry a puzzle with you on one of those first dates ... see if he (or she) can help you out.

Offline Astoria Luv

• Global Moderator
  • Governor
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »
After this incident I wanted to make sure that any date could at least get through a Monday and hopefully a Tuesday and answer some if not most of a Wednesday.  So carry a puzzle with you on one of those first dates ... see if he (or she) can help you out.

I took a date to a trivia night.  I'm pretty good at trivia and well, she wasn't.  In fact, it angered that I was so good.  She ended up calling me Rainman and stormed out after only a couple of rounds.  The thing was that it was her idea to do trivia in the first place, but she just wasn't that good.  Should I have pretended to be bad at trivia, like I had to do with my little sister and my cousins?  Don't you think she would have found that offensive?!

Offline MagicPie

• Governor
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »
No.  Be yourself on dates, especially when it comes to intelligence.  If your date doesn't like smart people, you're dating the wrong person. 

Jennifer, we're not compatible -- I only do NY Mag crosswords nowadays.

Bookstore and crosswords, very good date ideas to get to know a person.  But those are more secondary dating ideas, not the main focus of a date.   I like the mini-golf idea but Randalls is hard to get to if you don't have a car. 

Keep 'em coming!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life