relax

Author Topic: Motorcycle Gangs are Terrorizing Astoria  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Rendo2000

• Citizen
Motorcycle Gangs are Terrorizing Astoria
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »
I'm all for personal freedom, let your freak flag fly...but the motorcycle gangs that terrorize Astoria during the summertime are beyond the pale. The perimeter roads of Astoria Park are treated as a race track, the law is disregarded: eight to ten riders lean into every turn, blowing through STOP signs. Pedestrians are treated as road kill. Engines are revved, wheelies are popped...all within a few feet of baby strollers. The "Quiet Zone" signs posted in the park read like absurd jokes.

I ask you, what can be done?

Astorians

Motorcycle Gangs are Terrorizing Astoria
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »

Offline Fat_Tony

• Citizen
  • Steinway & Broadway area
Re: Motorcycle Gangs are Terrorizing Astoria
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »
I totally agree.  I myself used to own a motorcycle in Astoria for over 2 years and gather at Astoria Park with the rest of them.  I had respect for the neighborhood though!  Its one thing to ride threw with 20 bikes but totally different to turn Ditmars Blvd. into "RACE WARS" on a saturday afternoon!  Something really should be done about it and I think the first course of action would be for the Police to confront them in Astoria Park and just make it known that the neighborhood is getting fed up with it and for them to spread the word to there fellow riders.

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:55:37 PM »
for only $389, you can make a difference:
http://www.securityprousa.com/noname52.html
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Newtownian

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »
Let's see..
  30Ft of wire..
  concrete block and some imagination..

Offline Rendo2000

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 10:21:47 PM »
The police need to set up a "sting" operation...if only for blowing STOP signs.

babahr

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:28:39 PM »
I've fantasized about throwing a broomstick, javelin style, into the spokes of a front wheel...

A few years ago, I called the cops a lot about this. Well, this, and loud stereos (people park and play at my end of the park). Then, I would see the cops shootin the sh** with the those losers, and admiring their bikes.

A friend of mine has a bike, and he says few of the people doing this in Astoria Park live anywhere near Astoria. So they are not bothering THEIR neighbors...

Offline the_chuck

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 12:43:28 AM »
Haha, glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed this. Seems there are always a bunch of motorcycles flying down the street. There are usually cops around that area; I wonder why they're not pulling anyone over?
- chuck.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 08:12:27 AM »
Hot town summer in the city
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty . . .

Welcome to Astoria. Summer has arrived  -- enjoy!
if you can't stand the heat go back to Hell's Kitchen.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 08:20:48 AM »
I don't live in that area, but I was there yesterday. I was walking down Ditmars Blvd.
to meet my boyfriend and his kids at the park. Out of nowhere 2 guys on bikes came
tearing up the blvd. at 4 p.m. It would drive me nuts if I had to listen to that
constantly. Sounds like you need to get some kind of citizen group together. If you organize,
you speak with one voice, but a larger, louder one. Can't Vallone do something - or is this not
his thing?

Also, this isn't part of "summer in Astoria." I grew up here and nice weather doesn't give anyone
the right to engage in potentially lethal behavior.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:05:59 AM »
The thought popped into my head and I just typed it out as a (lame) attempt at a joke.

Let's be honest -- to anyone who grew up in Astoria you know that as soon as the days get longer and the temperatures rise higher, the boys some break out their bikes and wheels and cause mayhem in the streets.

It’s like the swallows returning to Capistrano and happens every year. I was wondering when the first complaint would be posted and by my calendar I’m surprised it’s taken so long.

There are several other (heated) threads on this same topic that were started last year about this time and lasted throughout the spring and summer – as did the noise.

I never meant to say it was right only that to a point, that’s the way it is.

I’ve complained about this problem, my parents have complained about it and my grandparents have complained about it. I’m not advocating that a person should not be bothered or sit back and take it. Anyone has a right to make a complaint and I say more power to ya but realize also that no one has come up with an idea to curtail this behavior effectively and a certain amount of a ‘get used to it’ attitude will be needed.

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:05:59 AM »

Offline paratactical

• Governor
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:31:24 AM »
OMG! Someone somewhere is having fun and it is loud! Everyone should be totally quiet all the time to accommodate me, even though I chose to live in a city!!!! It's terrorism! The only response is to threaten them with pyshical violence which might result in them actually dying on their bikes!

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »
Hot town summer in the city
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty . . .

Welcome to Astoria. Summer has arrived  -- enjoy!
if you can't stand the heat go back to Hell's Kitchen.

i pos nodded you, people just complain too much on here
Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline lizluv43

• Governor
    • Myspace page
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 09:32:55 AM »
I've been an Astorian since 1967.........

Astoria Park used to be worse back in the day......(remember when people used to go to the park and go on their ahum "psychedelic" mini vacations?

Or...there were the hot rods and the racing?

For the past 15+ years it's been motorcycles.

I live right on Ditmars across from Astoria Park, Shore Drive is half a block away from me and I have to agree about the noise at night especially Friday and Saturday nights of 20 motorcycles passing by and reving their motors but....

I prefer to hear that than gun shots............

:-)

It usually calms down by mid May when the cops start hanging out there.  Maybe this year they'll start earlier since it's become warmer earlier this year.
I am immature by choice, I found that being mature was quite dreary. That's why I come to Astorians.com where every hour is Happy Hour!

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 09:40:52 AM »
Eh, I used to own a bike, and I can definitely say that those guys are idiots.

It's usually the same meatheads who ride with their full face helmets perched on top of their heads so everyone sees who they are and revving their engines at every stop light. They give motorcyclists a bad name. Trust me guys, you're still as uncool as you are off the bike.

Having owned and hung out with enough other motorcyclists, I have to say that these guys are a problem to the whole biking community. They have complete disregard for those around them, and a higher ratio of them end up roadkill because they're too busy learning wheelies and how to  do burnouts rather than learning basic riding technique.

</rant>

babahr

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 09:44:27 AM »
paratactical if you lived in my bldg your sarcasm would disappear.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life