relax

Author Topic: Bocce Ball?  (Read 2789 times)

jackrum

Bocce Ball?
« on: April 17, 2008, 06:28:19 PM »
Are there any bocce ball leagues in Astoria Park for new comers to bocce?

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
Re: Bocce Ball?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:14:04 PM »
There are courts in the park on the east side of Steinway St between Ditmars and 23rd Ave, right here.

I have seen quite a few gentlemen playing there on numerous Saturdays, and I'll bet they know.

Offline aquaecny

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 10:09:20 PM »
I love bocce but haven't felt brave enough to approach the gentlemen playing on Steinway.  Besides, it's also right around the corner from me.  It'd be nice if there was a league to join during the summer or something.

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, the gf and I got a week's supply of food on a roll (that is, one "the bomb" hero) from sandwich kings. We ate at a picnic table next to those courts.

The folks there didn't seem to mind us watching. We exchanged friendly nods (presumably +). It seemed pretty delightfully social: they seem to spend ten minutes inspecting and grooming the surface of the court, two minutes bowling, and 10 minutes working out the score. It also looks like they probably have been doing the same thing for years. I'd be too shy to ask to play with them too, but maybe they'd know where and when the hipster/yuppie league gathers.

BigBryan

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:53:21 PM »
I'm Bocce curious
If anyone  sets something up - I'd like to give it a shot :lol:

jackrum

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:32:55 AM »
yeah I'm a little to intimidated to ask a bunch of old pros if I could join. Especially since I would suck. I bought some bocce balls from Target like a year ago and have yet to use them. Worse yet since I moved here I don't even know where they are.

Maybe we should set up our own league. Who else is interested?

Offline aquaecny

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 06:34:01 PM »
Jack, I am definitely game for our own fun-time play!

jackrum

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 10:55:25 PM »
Now I just have to find my balls and learn how to play....Maybe I should have worded that differently.

Offline liman73

• Activist
  • Let's Go Mets! F-A-N... Da-Na-Na!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
I would love to join a bocce league. Someone shoudl start it up!!!
"Trickling, it is a fair ball....gets by Buckner! Rounding third Knight! The Mets will win the ball game! They Win! They Win!"

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »
I can't help with setting up a bocce league, but I just thought I'd let you know that there is a Bocce court in Astoria Park, at the bottom of the pathway that runs in between the great lawn and the pool.
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Handyman

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
I can't help with setting up a bocce league, but I just thought I'd let you know that there is a Bocce court in Astoria Park, at the bottom of the pathway that runs in between the great lawn and the pool.

That court is in piss-poor shape tho.

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 07:48:26 PM »
I know, but it is better than nothing at all. And considering that it has sat like that for years, I'm surprised that it isn't in worse condition.
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Offline kungfoofool

• Mayor
  • mercenary web developer (pm me for info)
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 10:14:52 PM »
I live not far from that park, too, and I'd be highly interested in giving it a try. Even if I stink at it, it looks like fun!
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life