relax

Author Topic: Body Of War  (Read 7738 times)

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
Body Of War
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:00:41 AM »
Body Of War is a documentary of Tomas Young, a young man who joined the military 2 days after 9/11 to go to Afghanistan to fight against those who attacked us. Instead he was sent into Iraq and was shot his first week there and became paralysed. This film documents the exaggerations and lies given by Bush and congress as reasons for going into Iraq, and shows the devastating impact the severe injury has had on Tomas Young physically and emotionally. The film is currently being shown at the IFC theater on Sixth Avenue and 4th Street in Greenich Village. Below is a link to the film with a trailer. I highly recommend everyone who cares about what our troops are going through to see this film.

http://www.bodyofwar.com/

Offline duska3419

• Mayor
Re: Body Of War
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
I highly recommend everyone who cares about what our troops are going through to see this film.

Why? What good is watching a movie going to do? Anyone who cares, already knows all the bad stuff. It's not going to bring about a solution.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 04:15:51 AM »

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Out_of_Iraq_Congressional_Caucus

You may recognize a few members of Congress at the link.
Thank you for your support.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:17:54 PM »
Duska, alot of people care but they are still oblivious of the realities of what the troops actually go through. The Bush administration has disallowed the media to take photos of the coffins coming home for all these years. If we don't get to actually see the fallen and the injured to remind us of the consequences of being in Iraq, we as a people will be less likely to take action to pressure the government to bring aboput a solution to end the occupation in Iraq; we can still be here 5 years from now having the same discussion.

TRX, thanks for the link. I appreciate our congresswomen Carolyn Maloney being among the advocates favoring getting our troops our of Iraq. Supporting the troops doesn't mean leaving them in Iraq indefinitely to get hurt or killed, it means finding a reasonable way to begin bringing them home.

Offline duska3419

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:40:12 PM »
Duska, alot of people care but they are still oblivious of the realities of what the troops actually go through.

My bad, Alex, I didn't know there were people who didn't know what actually is going on. It never occurred to me that there could be people who don't know someone over there. Personally, I have dealt with it very close to home. The psych evaluations our troops get before they're allowed back in to the 'civilian world' are retardedly inadequate (at least they were in 05, maybe they've changed since) and what ends up happening is loved ones end up looking after those who have just gotten home and can't cope. Maybe my response seemed bitter to many ppl, but when you are reluctant to go to work in the morning because you don't want to leave a grown man alone in his own house for fear of his state of mind, you tend to forget to care about how someone might take your opinion.

In short, my bad, considering the amount of troops we have over there, I never thought there could be people who haven't heard horror stories from loved ones stationed there. So I guess the irony is me being oblivious of oblivious people ...

I still don't believe a movie is going to get anyone to actually start a movement to change anything. But that is, again, just my opinion, and it's an incredibly bitter one.

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 08:27:17 AM »
I hear you Duska, you've obviously been exposed to the repurcussions of our returning troops not getting adequate treatment first hand. The film may only be 1 piece of a 1,000 piece puzzle, but unfortunately the news of how the war in Iraq is effecting our troops is not front page news, often times it's not reported on at all. The films Stop Loss and Body of War are more for raising our consciences than entertainment. People often times prefer to be oblivious, it makes the world that they existent in seem safer. But you have a right to be bitter, those who defend our country deserve the all the respect and care we can provide them.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 03:53:51 PM »
Body Of War is a documentary of Tomas Young, a young man who joined the military 2 days after 9/11 to go to Afghanistan to fight against those who attacked us. Instead he was sent into Iraq and was shot his first week there and became paralysed. This film documents the exaggerations and lies given by Bush and congress as reasons for going into Iraq, and shows the devastating impact the severe injury has had on Tomas Young physically and emotionally. The film is currently being shown at the IFC theater on Sixth Avenue and 4th Street in Greenich Village. Below is a link to the film with a trailer. I highly recommend everyone who cares about what our troops are going through to see this film.

I care about  the 'troops', that's why I and apparantly most Americans, have stayed away  from these  Leftist diatribe 'schlokumentaries'  like  the plague. Phil Donohue  being involved  is enough for me to know where  this  is headed.  The Daily News  recently  commented in an editorial  about how there is not ONE movie  that has shown the war effort, in Afghan or Iraq, in a positive  light. The  troops  have been shown as either  murderers  or dummies, yeah, these  films  support the troops. My nephew  who has had two  tours  in Iraq can't believe  how  the efforts are depicted  here. Shameful lies and distortions.

Rather  than exploiting those who are  fighting , who support  the war, which is majority. I prefer  to  see  real documentaries  about who we are fighting and  why...  Try...  http://www.obsessionthemovie.com/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:03:47 PM by FZ »

Offline duska3419

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 05:48:04 PM »
isn't Justin Timberlake the lead role in Stop Loss?

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 12:53:11 PM »
I care about  the 'troops', that's why I and apparantly most Americans, have stayed away  from these  Leftist diatribe 'schlokumentaries'  like  the plague. Phil Donohue  being involved  is enough for me to know where  this  is headed.  The Daily News  recently  commented in an editorial  about how there is not ONE movie  that has shown the war effort, in Afghan or Iraq, in a positive  light. The  troops  have been shown as either  murderers  or dummies, yeah, these  films  support the troops. My nephew  who has had two  tours  in Iraq can't believe  how  the efforts are depicted  here. Shameful lies and distortions.

Rather  than exploiting those who are  fighting , who support  the war, which is majority. I prefer  to  see  real documentaries  about who we are fighting and  why...  Try...  http://www.obsessionthemovie.com/

So is that to say that EVERY movie that is against the war depicts Soldiers as Murderers or Dummies?
The extreme rightists are just as guilty of distorting the truth as the extreme leftists.
You denounce a film that is made to show the horrors of war and why we should think about the consequences before sending troops to die in war, yet you are promoting a film that basically promotes hate against a whole religion?
Both films, I'm sure are well in their intentions, but don't spew that "The left hates the troops" propaganda on here. It's despicable.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 01:12:49 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050825/

there's fiction and then there is fact
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline AlexNYC

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 08:44:05 PM »
FZ, you are recommending the documentary Obsession, which glorifies the widening of the war in Iraq to other muslim countries, yet you refer to the Body of War, a documentary that brings to light the effects of the Iraq War on our troops as a 'schlokumentary'. Normally I would try to reason with you the difference between seeing the world in only black & white extremes, but seeing your anti-islamic propaganda avatar, I would only be wasting my time and energy.

To more fair-minded individuals, I do encourage the viewing of the Body Of War film, or at least in educating ourselves on what our returning soldiers are going through when they finally return from combat.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 01:13:18 AM »
isn't Justin Timberlake the lead role in Stop Loss?

LOL!!  I hav no idea, since  I don't plan on seeing the MTV/Starbucks version of Iraq Vet reality. Truth is  very few people  are seeing it.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 01:18:05 AM »
So is that to say that EVERY movie that is against the war depicts Soldiers as Murderers or Dummies?
The extreme rightists are just as guilty of distorting the truth as the extreme leftists.
You denounce a film that is made to show the horrors of war and why we should think about the consequences before sending troops to die in war, yet you are promoting a film that basically promotes hate against a whole religion?
Both films, I'm sure are well in their intentions, but don't spew that "The left hates the troops" propaganda on here. It's despicable.

I'm promoting a film showing the reality of  the enemy. The  films coming  from Hollywierd,  have all shown them as dummies or murderers, it's  a fact. The Body Of War Film  is not well-intentioned and neither have been virtually all of these films. The Documentary  on the enemy is not against a whole religion, it is depciting the reality. What's  despicable  is not facing reality.

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 01:23:26 AM »
I'm promoting a film showing the reality of  the enemy. The  films coming  from Hollywierd,  have all shown them as dummies or murderers, it's  a fact. The Body Of War Film  is not well-intentioned and neither have been virtually all of these films. The Documentary  on the enemy is not against a whole religion, it is depciting the reality. What's  despicable  is not facing reality.
Oh, is it a fact? Would you care to prove said "fact"?
Thank you for telling us about the conspiracy behind the ill intentions of this film and every anti-war film. I agree that anyone who is against the war hates the troops. Most likely, they are undercover terrorists, like most of hollywood and the left.
You have yet again shown us the light!

Hey everyone, if you speak out against the war for any reason, you might as well be in bed with Osama bin laden. If you're Muslim, you're probably a terrorist. I'm spreading the good word, buddy :mrgreen:

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 01:25:05 AM »
FZ, you are recommending the documentary Obsession, which glorifies the widening of the war in Iraq to other muslim countries, yet you refer to the Body of War, a documentary that brings to light the effects of the Iraq War on our troops as a 'schlokumentary'. Normally I would try to reason with you the difference between seeing the world in only black & white extremes, but seeing your anti-islamic propaganda avatar, I would only be wasting my time and energy.

To more fair-minded individuals, I do encourage the viewing of the Body Of War film, or at least in educating ourselves on what our returning soldiers are going through when they finally return from combat.

So pointing out  the enemy is  'Anti-Islamic', can't reason unless someone accepts  reality, agreed.  No, the film I am advocating is  reality, and the soldiers who are returning from war, even with heavy injuries, are wanting to go back, cause  they realise this  reality.  Even in this so-called 'documnetary' concerned  with soldiers  and their injuries, they give 30 seconds  to the dad  of the sodlier, who supports the war.  Phil Donohue managed  to propagandise and use in this film a soldier who was still in the hospital, now  that's  propaganda.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life