relax

Poll

What do you think of the board's "nod" feature?

I like it.
I don't like it.
I don't really care for it, but I use it anyway for those times when I disagree but don't feel like posting about it.
I have no opinion on the matter.

Author Topic: the nods  (Read 10118 times)

Offline aquaecny

• Senator
Re: the nods
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 12:25:18 AM »
I would recommend this to merm:

Keep the positive nod, because it is awesome to agree.  Delete the negative nod, because if you disagree with something, say so and give your reasons!

Offline MagicPie

• Governor
  • Don't get scared. Get organized!
    • Unjumbler Professional Organizing
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 01:21:31 AM »
^^ I disagree (so I neg nodded you).  If we only post to disagree with someone, we'll have such a negative-feeling board. 

I personally like the nods, although I don't use them very often.  I like being able to agree or disagree without having to explain myself every dang time. 

(Positive nod this post!  It'll make my day!)

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 01:59:52 AM »
I like being able to agree or disagree without having to explain myself every dang time. 

But if you're the only one who knows that you agreed or disagreed, and all that's known about your opinion is that you either agreed or disagreed with some unnamed part of the posting, what does the nod accomplish? I mean, why not just think to yourself "I agree with this" or "I do not agree with this" if you don't feel like explaining it? Essentially that's what it becomes when you nod something and some other anonymous person nods it the other way. It is like a tree falling in a forest with no one around to hear.
Oh and I enjoy these "nod battles," where people positive nod someone only to refute a negative nod, but not because they really agree with anything in the post. :-D

Offline MagicPie

• Governor
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 09:59:43 AM »
Well, if you don't like the nodding, it's easy enough not to nod someone and ignore the function altogether, isn't it?  What's the point of arguing about it?  It's like arguing about whether or not the color blue is better than the color green.  (That's a bad example because green is so much better than blue.)

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »
I'm more likely to minus-nod someone I've never met in real life vs. someone I only know electronically.  The threshold for a minus-nod seems to be much lower.  However, I'm not less likely to plus-nod someone I've never met.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 03:36:11 PM »
green IS better than blue.

And I am not  not-licking  toads.

Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 04:41:11 PM »
I much prefer blue, but I think the donut is right on the money with regard to the nods.  Nods mean simply an opinion.  I got three neg nods from my opinionated diatribe on women putting on makeup in the subway.  ROCK ON. 

Not taking the nods so seriously is rather freeing, actually.

Offline MagicPie

• Governor
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 04:50:13 PM »
I much prefer blue

I neg-nodded you for that! 

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 04:52:34 PM »
I neg-nodded you for that! 

DAMMIT!!!  :D

I do like green - honest!  :mrgreen:
(but I like blue better, wheee!!!!)

Offline heff

• Mayor
    • TAWQ
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 07:00:59 PM »
Well, if you don't like the nodding, it's easy enough not to nod someone and ignore the function altogether, isn't it?  What's the point of arguing about it?  It's like arguing about whether or not the color blue is better than the color green.  (That's a bad example because green is so much better than blue.)

This position is so typical of all googly eyed donuts.  Green vs blue, green vs blue.  No one ever mentions yellow!  When will yellow get the recognition it deserves after many generations serving this country?

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 05:43:41 PM »
There are many arguments on why to keep the nods systems. But here is the best one:

Quote from: Billz1981 on March 26, 2008, 01:39:51 PM
I think I am one of them.  Almost everything I say, no matter how concilliatory in tone, gets at least one neg nod.  I wonder if I have picked up a "fan" or if someone has a disagreement with my arguments that they don't want to bother to voice.

As case in point, see the above posting, thumbed down.  To whoever you are, I'd like to challenge you to a duel.   

If you use it properly, Billz will challenge you to a duel.

Offline essen

• Governor
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 06:17:37 PM »
Well, if you don't like the nodding, it's easy enough not to nod someone and ignore the function altogether, isn't it?  What's the point of arguing about it?

What's the point of arguing about most things here? It's just something I felt like talking about. I don't know why some people think that just because there's a thread about something means that person is taking it super-seriously.

Offline MagicPie

• Governor
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 10:59:09 PM »
So, no duel?

Offline Billz1981

• Senator
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 03:11:57 PM »
So, no duel?

I can't believe that I missed this thread!  Sweeper, thanks for pointing out my innovative system of coping with negative nods.  Was it you who suggested pies in the face at 10 paces?  MagicPie, are you challenging me to a duel?

On a serious note, I think the nods are silly because they don't add much value to the conversation.  Maybe in a warm, fuzzy convo, it's nice to get thumbs up.  But in a discussion of politics, I know that most people here are going to disagree with me.  It is not as though I am going to see the thumbs down and rethink my views on that basis.  I already know that people disagree with me and would much rather discuss the ideas behind the disagreement. 

So to me, the thumbs are the cyber version of a little kid behind me in a movie theatre kicking my chair.

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 03:27:27 PM »
Sweeper, thanks for pointing out my innovative system of coping with negative nods.  Was it you who suggested pies in the face at 10 paces?

No, I believe that was odenhal. I must fess up to being the instigator though.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life